Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal

Adult {with crossover appeal to YA}
Paperback, 304 pgs.
Published August 3rd, 2010 by Tor
Source: Purchased

The fantasy novel you've always wished Jane Austen had writtenShades of Milk and Honey is exactly what we could expect from Jane Austen if she had been a fantasy writer: Pride and Prejudice meets Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. It is an intimate portrait of a woman, Jane, and her quest for love in a world where the manipulation of glamour is considered an essential skill for a lady of quality.

Jane and her sister Melody vie for the attentions of eligible men, and while Jane's skill with glamour is remarkable, it is her sister who is fair of face. When Jane realizes that one of Melody's suitors is set on taking advantage of her sister for the sake of her dowry, she pushes her skills to the limit of what her body can withstand in order to set things right--and, in the process, accidentally wanders into a love story of her own.

Such an absolutely beautiful story!  I was afraid it may be a bit long and dry because I'll admit that as an adult I've had a hard time reading Jane Austen.  It may be the books I've chosen, but it's also because I'm far too impatient.  But this book sucked me in immediately.  

Now I've not read a Jane Austen book since high school though I have tried to, so I'm no expert, but I have an idea of her style of writing.  And this book does seem like a book she could have written.  The style is definitely very similar.  But this book moves along at a quicker pace {though I wouldn't say it's fast paced, as it's more relaxed then most books I've been reading these days} and it has a fantasy element thrown in.  As there is magic.  Now this magic is unlike anything I've read about before.  It's a glamour that is wove to create scenes or things that aren't there.  To cloak things to make them prettier, or appear newer.  A dining room can be transformed into a beautiful forest complete with a babbling brook.  I thought it was genius because it fit into the story so well. 


Jane is a plain girl, not beautiful like her sister Melody.  But she's talented in her glamour abilities and in art of all types.  She's quite sensible and never goes on flights of fancy like her sister Melody.  She's very likable and a character I completely connected with.  Her sister Melody was beautiful and always for want of attention.  She would get jealous when Jane would get attention and would do ridiculous things to get the spotlight on herself.  But even while she was naive and sometimes cruel by accident you could tell that she did love her sister and was somewhat blind to her own poor behavior.  Their mother, Mrs. Ellsworth was quite the drama queen, as was most of the women of that time.  The slightest upset and they faint dead away.  It was quite hilarious as Jane saw right through their ridiculous overreactions.  Their father, Mr. Ellsworth was a kindly and gentle soul.  He truly cares for his girls but really seems to be the only one who truly understands Jane.  


There are several men in this book that each play an important role.  But it's so fun to unravel what their part is that I'm not going to spoil you with any details.  I'll tell you that the romance plays out in a very Jane Austen'esque way, which is somewhat predictable once it's figured out, but it takes awhile to piece everything together.  You have to figure out who Melody really fancy's and as she's so flighty it's not immediately obvious.  As for Jane, well, she'll get her bit as well- but your not getting any spoilers from me!


While this book isn't exactly fast paced, it isn't slow either.  I found myself cruising through it with no issues whatsoever.  It felt like it was a steady pace with enough twists that kept me on my toes.  And the last quarter of the book- now that was fast paced as it was constant epiphany and action as everything suddenly starts to come together.  


I really can't recommend this book highly enough.  I was totally entranced and fell in love with the magic, the characters and the time period itself.  I'm very excited for the second book, Glamour in Glass which comes out April 2012.  Now this is an adult book, but I would definitely say it has crossover appeal for YA. 


5/5 stars!


Here's the cover of the second book just cause I think it's so gorgeous!

17 comments:

  1. Oh my, a Jane Austen-esc book with magic?! Count me in! Thanks for sharing! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title is so intriguing, and then there' the cover. And of course, your high recommendations! I haven't read a good literary fantasy in ages. Will put this on my to-read list.

    Thank you for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The slightest upset and they faint dead away."

    *giggles* I can't help but wonder if I would be like that if I was raised in that time period, or if I'd be that girl that doesn't at all fit in with the women around her. Probably the latter:) And a 5/5 for this one? I've never heard of it before but it's going on the list now! That second cover is STUNNING. Love it:) Thanks Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review - I'll look out for this.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review - I had seen this book mentioned elsewhere but it didn't stick till I read your review - will be reading it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm off to add this book to my wish list NOW! I loved your review, it's really made me want to read this, I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read Jane Asyen either... I have an entire omnibus of her books but I've never read it... I keep it more for status I think! Maybe I should try this instead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this review! I had the pleasure of meeting the author a couple months ago, but I kept forgetting to pick up a copy of the book. So, this reminded me and it's made me even more excited to read it! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You won me over with: A Jane Austen type romance! How had I not heard of these books before. The covers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to read it - thanks for your review, you totally persuaded me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! You're review is so enthusiastic, Candace -- I love it!! :) I've actually never read anything by Jane Austen before, but your review makes makes me want to pick up all her books then read this one so I can compare too! Jane & Melody sound like the kind of sisters I'd ADORE to read about (being a younger sister myself, haha!), and I'm already in love with the magic aspect!

    An absolutely amazing review, Candace! :) Thank you so much for the glowing recommendation! And that cover for book 2 really is gorgeous!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds really intriguing. I did plow through all the Austen books, thanks to an Austen class in college, and love that world (though I'd hate to live in it) so a story set in a similar world with a sprinkle of magic sound right up my alley. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I must say I do love the cover of the second book. I'm glad that this book wasn't slow, that it went by nicely. Sometimes with adult fiction I get scared because I think it will bore me too much. I tend to go with YA or Adult romance because straight adult fiction never goes well with me. I might have to take a leap and try this one though.

    Thanks for the great review, I'm glad you are finding the time to read somethings that you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cover for the second book-SO pretty! As a devoted Austen fan, many of the plot points seemed derived directly from her stories but I still really enjoyed knowing what was coming. I hope you continue to give her a chance; Persuasion and Northanger Abbey are both pretty short so I usually recommend giving them a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sold! This sounds exactly like what I've been in the mood to read lately. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I normally am pleased with all TOR books. I think they have a great selection.

    It sounds like this one is just perfect! I'll be looking for this one.

    MS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this sounds fantastic! I'll have to add it to my read list for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs