Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom #2) by Devon Monk

Adult
Paperback, 358 pgs.
Published May 5th, 2009 by Roc
Source: Purchased

Working as a Hound-tracing illegal spells back to their casters-has taken its toll on Allison Beckstrom. But even though magic has given her migraines and stolen her recent memory, Allie isn't about to quit. Then the police's magic enforcement division asks her to consult on a missing persons case. But what seems to be a straightforward job turns out to be anything but, as Allie finds herself drawn into the underworld of criminals, ghosts, and blood magic.

It seems like it's the second book in a series that often is the deciding factor in whether a series is for me or not.  This is especially true for urban fantasy.  Quite often the first book is introducing us to so much and we're just soaking it all in and it's just hard to really get immersed in the story.  This series was still waiting for a verdict on whether it's for me or not but as soon as I was just a few pages into this book I knew that I was a fan of the series.  Like officially a fan.  

This book was constant non stop action.  No time for easy breathing and relaxing, Allie was in constant danger and her life nearly in peril through the entire book.  It makes for a fast read but I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.  I really could have used a breather and Allie could have used a nap or two...


Allie is growing on me more and more.  And she's growing as a character.  I felt growth in the first book just through the span of the book but her memory loss kind of set her back {that's not really a spoiler cause she loses pieces of her memory because of her magic use}.  In this one she's learning that maybe she doesn't need to be alone so much, maybe she should allow a little bit of trust.  Not that she's out trusting just anyone, but she's learning to give people a chance.  

These books take place on my home turf.  I live in a suburb of Portland Oregon and so I enjoy seeing lots of familiar places, or at least can really picture the setting.  I think the downside is that the rain in the book gets a bit depressing.  Seriously, I'm living through the constant rain myself, I could use a break from it in my books.   However, that's not really going to be an issue for most of you {as long as you don't live in the Pacific NW}. 


I love the twists that were thrown in and how they are shaping how the books are going to go.  I think it's going to be a fantastic ride and I'm very eager to jump into the next one.  I actually ordered it before I had even finished this one!  


I can officially say that I recommend this series.  Even if you don't love the first one, if you like it okay then give the second one a chance, it may just end up a new favorite series! 


4/5 stars

6 comments:

  1. I love a book with twist and you are so right about the second book in a series. I missed this one and will head over to B&N and order book one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I should have made a New Years resolution to read UF! I have so many UF books on my shelves and I wanted to try to get into them last year but failed. This year I'm going to try so this is a series to add to my list of must read UFs.

    Thanks for the great review, the main character does sound kick ass but I hope she is able to find some peace as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Quite often the first book is introducing us to so much and we're just soaking it all in and it's just hard to really get immersed in the story."

    So true Candace! Glad this second book really sealed the deal for you and proved that this series is worth continuing! I've heard great things about it, it's one I'm hoping to get to sometime in the near future. Cool too that there are places and things that are familiar to you since you live in Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I've had the first on my TBR list for a while now, think I'll have to give this series a try! I'm the same way, I usually let the second book decide if I follow the series or not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's an amazing series, I'm curently reading the 7th book and it's awesome. I hope you'll like the others as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the first one of this series and, while I liked it, I wasn't sure about the MC. And, for some reason, her losing pieces of herself when she did magic kind of freaked me out! But I'm weird like that. Still, this one sounds great so maybe I should try this series again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs