Did you think the rescue of Peeta was just too easy?
Candace: Yes, I thought it was WAY too easy! And it all happened so fast! I was relieved in some ways but it all just seemed not quite believable.
Angela: I did at the time, but they explained in the book that they realized it was all too easy and that was because Snow wanted him rescued so that he would kill Katniss.
Candace in reaction to Angel's response:
Yeah, but at the time I guess I was mad because we didn't get to see it all. That was one place I would've liked to be to see what went on.
But you make a good point, it was suppose to be easy. I just wanted to 'be' there.
Lori: Yes, at first but when it was explained I felt that there could have been so much more to that story line.
If you could pick one person who died to have NOT died, and remember how it'll impact the story, who would it be?
Lori: Finnick. I kinda feel that Prim had to die, but Finnick didn't. He could have carried on or been left out of the squad all together.
Angela: Finnick for me as well. He really should have gotten his happy ending with Annie, and it really wouldn't have change the impact of the story had he lived.
Candace: It would be Finnick for me as well. I really wished he could have lived and him and Annie live happily ever after. I really felt like his death wasn't necessary.
If you could change one thing in the book, other then someone dying, what would it be?
Lori: The whole ending? No really, I would probably change the Gale situation. I'm team Peeta all the way but it bugs me to no end that Gale had no conclusion. Sure, he might have had some sort of semi happy ending, but there was no satisfaction in it.
Angela: The action, I wanted more action like the first two books. As the song goes I wanted "A little less talk and a lot more action!"
Candace: More of the romance between Peeta and Katniss. I wish there had been a part when it fit in and could have happened. Just some sweet moments between them would have been nice.
What are your feelings about how the romance in this book played out?
Lori: I was pretty shocked at how things happened. I envisioned Katniss making a clear choice, but she didn't. I guess it was appropriate given the circumstances but I never thought Peeta would be trying to kill her or Gale would walk away so easily.
Angela: Blah! It just didn't work for me. There should have been more conflict and a clear choice...
Candace: I wish there had been more romance. I just wanted some sweet and tender moments between Katniss and Peeta. I know since I hadn't reread HG or CF I kind of lost the feeling for Peeta and I felt like I didn't get to re-know him at all in this book because he was so different.
How did the book leave you feeling? Were you satisfied? Unsatisfied?
We are each posting our thoughts on this. And mine is that I'm somewhere in the middle. I felt unsatisfied in the first half of the book but more satisfied with the second half. Now a week later I'm not sure how satisfied I am with the conclusion.


















Candace, I agree with everything you said! I really missed the romance between Katniss and Peeta. And the rescue seemed way too easy. Actually, the whole book seemed too easy. I didn't think any part of the book, including the ending, was satisfying.
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of weird in the sense that I liked that the romance wasn't in the forefront of this book, but that said, I agree with pretty much everything else.
ReplyDeletePS...I miss Finnick :(
Finnick didn't have to die. But I kind of feel like Gale sacrificed finnick in the tunnel.
ReplyDeleteBUT it was called the hunger games and wasn't a story about peeta and katniss in love.
check out my review here
kjovus.blogspot.com
As for the deaths, I was, frankly, expecting a higher death toll, including one of the big three. I think she needed to write in more than one significant death to make it believable, especially given her strong anti-war message.
ReplyDeleteAnd I was more upset about being left out of Katniss's trial than the Peeta rescue. It seems like that would have been a prime time for conflict and more romance as Peeta and Gale weighed in with Katniss on the proceedings.
Still, I so admire her writing, the characterization, the anti-war themes, and the way she transcended the action/adventure/dystopian genre. There's no way I can say I'm unsatisfied.
I really enjoyed reading through your answers. I wish Finnick had lived too. His death completely broke my heart. I also agree with your wish to see more of Peeta and Katniss re-connecting romantically. I understand why their romance wasn't the main focus of the book, but I wanted more of those little sweet romantic moments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)
ReplyDelete