Published: March 30th, 2010 by Orbit
isbn: 0316074144 (ISBN13: 9780316074148)
Reading Level: Adult
Received From: Purchased
Series: Parasol Protectorate, Book 2
Description:
Alexia Tarabotti, now Lady Maccon, awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears -- leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria.
But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her into the backwaters of ugly waistcoats, Scotland, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only a soulless can.
She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it.
My Thoughts:
I read Soulless (the first in the series) ages ago when it first came out and really enjoyed it! I'm not sure why I put this one off so long, but I imagine it had something to do with my ginormous TBR pile. I finally got a chance to sneak it in and I really enjoyed it!
This one had such awesome steam-punk elements, and we got to know Lord and Lady Maccon a bit more. There's not really any descriptions with the romance, it's more like tender moments, so younger readers could read these, though they are adult.
I can see how some could find Lady Maccon's dear friend Ivy Hisselpenny quite annoying. But I actually enjoyed her annoying naivete and attempt at correct and proper manners. That was the funniest part of the book! Her banter and amusing naivete.
A new character was introduced in this one that I quite enjoyed and we got to see a bit of Lord Akeldama, though not nearly enough, in my opinion.
The ending of this book was killer. Killer in the sense that you'll die if you don't get Blameless in your hands NOW. Unfortunately every bookstore in this town is sold out of them, so I'm on the verge of death as we speak.
Also I find myself wondering what elements of the story are science fiction. Obviously vampires, werewolves and the supernatural, but as far the the airships and the other steam-punk things, were any of those things in existence in some form or another in that time period? I can see that my history could get a little confused with these sci-fi steam-punk novels though.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and give it 4/5 moons.
You can find Gail Carriger on her website.
Disclosure: I purchased this book myself. I was not paid nor influenced in any way for this review. The opinions expressed are my own.




















I've yet to read Soulless, though I won it forever ago haha your review for this book makes me want to start the series though! :) great review!
ReplyDeleteI loved Soulless and I have Changeless in my TBR pile and I want to read it so I am hoping to get to it soon. I'm glad you like it!
ReplyDeleteI read this book too and adored it. It was really good. I thought Ivy Hisselpenny was fun too, a great character which made me love the whole time! The ending was a total killer. I totally agree. I can't wait to read the third book. ;) Great review!
ReplyDeleteGreat review! I need to get caught up on these!
ReplyDelete