No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale
Hardcover, 384 pages
Expected Publication: January 7th, 2014 by HarperTeen
Source: Amazon Vine
I'm glad I wasn't really aware of the love/hate relationship people are having with this book, because I may not have snatched it up for review. And if I hadn't, I would have been missing out! While this book certainly isn't for everyone, I really found my appreciation for it, and was thoroughly invested. This book is creepy, funny and a bit extreme. While the town is full of quirky, strange and ridiculous characters, it was all highly entertaining. This is a murder mystery, and is full of some serious dark humor. I laughed quite a lot because Kippy is just a hilarious character and the way she deals with some things just had me rolling! She is a bit naive, but she's certainly not stupid, and she's determined to find her best friends killer. She makes a few stupid decisions, I'll admit, but that didn't diminish my love for her much.Small towns are nothing if not friendly. Friendship, Wisconsin (population: 688) is no different. Around here, everyone wears a smile. And no one ever locks their doors. Until, that is, high school sweetheart Ruth Fried is found murdered. Strung up like a scarecrow in the middle of a cornfield.
Unfortunately, Friendship’s police are more adept at looking for lost pets than catching killers. So Ruth’s best friend, Kippy Bushman, armed with only her tenacious Midwestern spirit and Ruth’s secret diary (which Ruth’s mother had asked her to read in order to redact any, you know, sex parts), sets out to find the murderer. But in a quiet town like Friendship—where no one is a suspect—anyone could be the killer.
The town and the people in it were infuriating and hilarious. I wanted to smack most of them, but they had me laughing at their ridiculousness. Ms. Hale is brilliant at creating characters, I have to say. And she was quite good at incorporating that midwestern (northern) accent and I could hear it all clearly. I know that the author is from Wisconsin, and I think it was apparent. My brother in law is from Wisconsin, I think I'll have to give this to my sister to read, I think she'll get that whole small town stuff as well.
The mystery aspect was done well. I have found I can't really say much about it without hinting at who it might be and whatnot, but it was twisty enough to catch me unexpected. I guess I can just say that things aren't always what they seem and I appreciate that the author put some effort into creating characters that are equally bad and good so that we see so much bad that really, everyone seems a suspect (not really, but close enough).
While the book actually started out a tad on the slow side, I quite quickly found myself immersed in Kippy's weirdness and this towns total insaneness. I wanted- no needed- to find out more, mostly because the Sheriff is so flipping full of himself he thinks he doesn't need to bother investigating anything and I really NEEDED him to brought out as a total incompetent JERKWAD. I also found myself rooting for a relationship between Kippy and someone and wanted to see that play out. I also just really liked the stinkin' book! So, if you want something a bit weird and strange on slightly on the side of satire, this is something you should pick up. Maybe not a book everyone will appreciate, but I've found that days later I'm still thinking on it and quite missing Kippy. This might be a book I'll even revisit in the future.
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.





















I actually started this one twice and gave up on it, but mostly I think it's about my mood at those times, and not about the book itself. It's actually exactly the kind of read I might find myself enjoying - quirky, different and entertaining.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had fun reading it. Lovely review, Candace.
There are people who hate this? How is that possible? I loved it, thought it was so quirky and hilarious and creepy, much like Fargo, one of my favorite movies. I read this like a month ago and I still find myself missing Kippy and the town and the bizarro but hilarious way of speaking. Glad you enjoyed this! :-)
ReplyDeleteI have this one, hadn't thought much about reading it though. I think I will be changing that for sure. Sounds like it has interesting characters and the town does too. Great review!
ReplyDeleteI've seen this title around but that cover makes it less eye-catching. For some reason I thought it was more on the verge of Swimfan than a murder mystery. I think I would enjoy this one for what it is but I have to be in the right mood for it. I'm glad that you skipped all the buzz about it and read it independently. I wish I did that for some of my reads this month.
ReplyDeleteI have seen some mixed reviews on this one as well, it seems you either hate it or love it. I am so glad you enjoyed this Candace!
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I got it because of the sweater on the cover. It rocks. I got this from Vine, too, and will definitely be prepared for a quirky, creepy story!
ReplyDeleteI've seen a couple reviews and people are definitely split on this book. However, I'm definitely willing to give it a chance. Especially when book reviews are going both ways, it's really hard to judge without reading the novel for myself.
ReplyDeleteI do think it sounds very interesting though - even the negative reviews make it sound like a book worth reading. Does that make sense?
Also, I can't get over the cover. Poor Moose!
DeleteI didn't realize there were a lot of love/hate relationships with this book either Candace! I haven't read any reviews for it yet, so yours is the first and I have to say, I'm intrigued. I love books that are slightly strange and a little weird and make me laugh, so I think some of the quirkiness of this one will work well for me. Plus, I'm already rooting for the sheriff to get his comeuppance:) Thanks for the fantastic review!
ReplyDeleteI almost picked this up, but saw the mixed reviews and got scared, after reading your review I think I want to give it a go.
ReplyDeleteThe title kind of puts me off but I've actually read only good reviews.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I don't know if it's for me either, but I am glad that you enjoyed it, Candace!
ReplyDeleteThis is seriously one of the best books that I've read this year. I connected with Kippy more than any character in a LONG time. My boyfriend thought I was nuts because I kept laughing until I cried (Banzai!) and would not put the book down. I don't really have any gripes about the book, except that I figured out whodunnit (which is typical for me).
ReplyDeleteYeah, after I finished it I had to check out the reviews and saw yours at the top. I was happy to see someone else loved it too!
DeleteI haven't read many reviews of this book, but those I've read seem to like it like you did. I wonder if it was because of the characters either won them over or didn't? Hm... still, sounds like a great cast and might be something I would enjoy.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds fun! I like weird and different. I'll keep this one in mind!
ReplyDeleteI like the love/hate when done right, but it can be a turn off. Glad it wasn't that way in this one.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard that this was getting such a mixed reaction but I'm hoping I'll be like you and like this one as well since I have to write a review for Amazon Vine.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know there was a love/hate going on with this book either! I really want to read it, so I'm trying not to read too too much about what people think. I love the cover and just want to go into it clean. It is nice to know that some of the characters are extreme though ahead of time... just to get myself ready :)
ReplyDeleteLOL . Love your review Candace . JERWARD lol :)
ReplyDeleteYou have no idea how happy this review makes me feel. I wanted to read this book ever since I first saw that cover and honestly I was a bit afraid to do so. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Great review :)
ReplyDeleteI read this book too! I thought it was great with the whole crazy stalker killer person. Awesome review.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you enjoyed this despite it starting out slow. I am really curious now. Great review.
ReplyDeleteI was so excited to come across this review, Candace! Thank you for reading my book, and for taking the time to unpack your thoughts. Your post is intelligent, well-written, and absolutely fair. I hope you'll read the sequel.
ReplyDelete-Kathleen
There's going to be a sequel?! Oh that's wonderful news! Thanks so much for your kind comments and for taking the time to stop by as well.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI haven't seen this book before but I have to admit your review has me interested. I love quirky characters and weird humor so this sounds like something I could definitely get into. Plus the cover made me laugh. :)
ReplyDelete