Today I'm hosting a tour stop on the Shadows of Asphodel blog tour. This is an NA/Adult Dieselpunk (like Steampunk, but with diesel) historical paranormal romance. I loved this book! You can find my review HERE and the tour post with schedule HERE.
Today I have the author, Karen Kincy, on the blog for a guest post about her characters, which ended up being my favorite part of the book.
What was my favorite part of writing Shadows of Asphodel? I could say the research, since I was obsessed
with the time period, or the action, since I got to learn all sorts of cool
things about sword fighting. But that’s not the real reason I fell in love with
Shadows of Asphodel. That would be
the characters. Ardis and Wendel are more complex and more ambitious than
anyone I have ever written about before. Let’s go behind the scenes…
Ardis
With Ardis, I wanted a badass heroine, but I also wanted to
subvert some tropes associated with “strong” female characters. Ardis thinks of
herself as a stoic mercenary who doesn’t talk much, keeps her head down, and
kills because it’s what she has to do. She even thinks of herself as a hero,
since she’s working as a peacekeeper for Austria-Hungary. In her mind, fighting
rebels to stop a war is the right thing to do, and she’s just doing her job.
She plays the part of dumb hired minion when she has to, and never lets her
emotions too close to the surface.
But what Ardis believes to be her strengths are also her
weaknesses. Her ability to lock away her emotions means she can’t admit how lonely
she is. Her dedication to her job means she’s blind to the humanity of her
enemies. Her determination to abandon her past in San Francisco means she has
no one to talk to about the trauma she tries to forget.
When Ardis meets Wendel on the battlefield, she sees him as
a rich gentleman who might bring her ransom money, and as a necromancer who
will come back as a monster if she lets him die. She saves his life because
she’s afraid, not because she cares about mercy. Or at least that’s what Ardis
lets herself believe, until she realizes she has been so wrong about so many
things.
(Confession: I deliberately wanted Ardis to be the one who
makes the first move with romance. She knows what she wants and isn’t afraid to
go for it. Confidence is sexy, but surprisingly quite rare among female
characters.)
Wendel
I have admitted the truth about Wendel to a handful of
readers, though I’m not sure they believed me. Wendel was always meant to be
the villain. Or more accurately, he’s a villain who wants out of the villainy
business. He’s a necromancer in a world where the ability to raise the dead
with a touch makes him an abomination. He’s a Prussian nobleman in an alternate
1913 on the brink of World War One. He’s an assassin who has killed more than
he would ever care to admit.
And Wendel knows that he’s good at being bad. Though it was
never his choice, he has embraced his necromancy. His family disinherited him
and sent him to Constantinople, where the Order of the Asphodel trained him to
be ruthless and heartless. Although he admits to no one that this “training”
involved torture, and his physical scars aren’t his deepest wounds.
Vulnerability isn’t a luxury Wendel can allow himself.
Wendel hides his true self under a tangle of lies. He has a
charming bastard persona that allows him to escape even the most serious of
situations. He wields his anger like a weapon, to motivate himself to keep
fighting, and his bitterness like a shield, to keep his emotions out of reach.
Of course, when Wendel tries to convince Ardis that he’s fine with his life as
a necromancer, she looks past all the lies and the charm and sees his pain. She
knows she has to save him, because then she might be able to save herself.
That’s what I love most about Ardis and Wendel. Both deeply
flawed, but determined to survive, they still deserve a chance at love and
redemption. Like we all do.
Here's a bonus for you too. Character inspiration boards! LOTS for Wendel! ;)
About Shadows of
Asphodel:
Find the book:1913. In her work as a mercenary for Austria-Hungary, Ardis has killed many men without hesitation. One more man shouldn’t matter, even if he manages to be a charming bastard while he stands dying in the snow.But when he raises the dead to fight for him, she realizes she must save his life.If a necromancer like Wendel dies, he will return as a monster—or so the rumors say. Ardis decides to play it safe and rescues him. What she doesn’t expect is Wendel falling to one knee and swearing fealty. Ardis never asked for the undying loyalty of a necromancer, but it’s too late now.Ardis and Wendel forge an uneasy alliance underscored with sexual tension. Together, they confront rebels, assassins, and a conspiracy involving a military secret: robotically-enhanced soldiers for a world on the brink of war. But as Ardis starts to fall for Wendel, she realizes the scars from his past run more deeply than she ever imagined. Can Ardis stop Wendel before his thirst for revenge destroys him and everyone else around him?
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
About the Author:
Karen Kincy (Redmond, Washington) can be found lurking in her writing cave, though sunshine will lure her outside. When not writing, she stays busy gardening, tinkering with aquariums, or running just one more mile. Karen has a BA in Linguistics and Literature from The Evergreen State College.
Karen Kincy (Redmond, Washington) can be found lurking in her writing cave, though sunshine will lure her outside. When not writing, she stays busy gardening, tinkering with aquariums, or running just one more mile. Karen has a BA in Linguistics and Literature from The Evergreen State College.























I have always been a nerd and loved researching things. I can only imagine how fun it was to do the research for this one!
ReplyDeleteGreat guest post Candace!
Great post!
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds so interesting, its definitely going on my to-read list.
Research could be both a headache and amazing. The information you can find. The headache stems to faulty leads but once you find the goldmind! I love gobbling up what I can
ReplyDeleteoooh... this sounds very interesting! Thanks for shraing and congrats to Karen on the new release!
ReplyDeleteLove the sound of these characters. Oh I do think I will have to move it up my wishlist.
ReplyDeleteI always think of research for books as being boring and overwhelming for authors (not that I ever plan to write a book lol) but it's true that when you're writing a book like this it could be kind of fascinating. I guess the key is writing what you love, eh? ;)
ReplyDeleteI loved Ardis and Wendell. They are certainly flawed but Karen does an amazing job of showing both the good and bad and you can't help but get caught up in the chemistry between the two of them.
ReplyDeleteYes to well research books it adds an authenticity that I love to my books. This sounds good!
ReplyDeleteThis book intrigues me! I love the combination of period setting (1913) and paranormal storyline.
ReplyDeleteglindathegood@bellsouth.net
I love a strong, character-driven story. Thanks for the insight on your characters!
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds like a great read! I definitely have added it to my TBR list. I can't wait to read this! It sounds like Wendell and Ardis both have flaws and it looks like this book shows both the good & bad which to me makes it all the more interesting! :) Happy Reading Everyone! :)
ReplyDeleteNecromancer and waking up the dead. Story sounds interesting especially when there is a love triangle (kind of a love triangle). I would like to read the book.
ReplyDeleteI love strong, warrior women type books and this sounds great!! Thank you so much for bringing this book to my attention!
ReplyDeleteOh i am so waiting for it
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good book! I love the cover!
ReplyDeleteI think the research that goes into writing would be fun to do. Thanks for sharing the guest post.
ReplyDeleteThis looks so awesome! (And umm, I'm I on this tour?) Runs to check email*
ReplyDeletelove to reas karen kincy's new book...
ReplyDeletethx u for hosting :)
I liked Ardis so much, but truthfully, by the end of the book, I just couldn't understand why she was so loyal to Wendel, since I disliked him pretty intensely. I hope the romance will make more sense in the next book because the rest was simply spectacular.
ReplyDeleteThis book looks and sounds amazing thanks for the great giveaway!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great guest post. So interesting to read more about Ardis and Wendel. Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteThat banner and picture are so awesome! It sounds like a great book. I always like to read what authors think of their own books, and the process that went into creating them. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThat cover looks badass! Love it! Thanks for the giveaway and Happy Holidays!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to read this book!
ReplyDeleteLook great read and the story look very interesting.
Thanks for chance to win :)
I'm loving this storyline.
ReplyDeleteOh, that was beautiful, both characters deeply flawed but still worthy of a chance at love.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the guest post!
It sounds like I'm going to love Ardis! I don't think I've ever read a dieselpunk before, but this one sounds really cool, so it may as well be my first. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteArdis has a job that she has no problem doing except Wendel. Whom needs Ardis's love to save him, to which he does not even know how much he needs her. So that his life is not completely about revenge. Maybe Love!!
ReplyDeleteBook sounds interesting :) Thank you for the chance
ReplyDeleteSounds like an interesting read. I love that one of the MC's was meant to be a villainy type of character.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read this! :D
ReplyDeleteThank you!!
ReplyDelete