Friday, December 20, 2013

Young Adult Review: Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill


Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill
Hardcover, 352 pages
Expected Publication: January 7th, 2014 by Delacorte
Source: Amazon Vine

Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.

Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself.
This is going to be more of a mini review, I believe.  I just don't have a lot to say about the book.  At times I had a hard time sticking with it and found myself setting it aside to pick up something else.  When I finally got to that last quarter I read it all in one sitting and found myself finally thoroughly enjoying it.  The book has a great concept, even great characters, but unfortunately I just felt very distant from it all and had a lack of connection. 

Each of the Sloane's has a lot of personal things going on with their families and life.  Each one could have used maybe a bit more fleshing out and dealing with each thing a bit more thoroughly.  The same with the romance, it might have been cute but I didn't have enough time to really feel it.  I knew they liked each other, but didn't really understand why because we didn't get enough moments between them.  With Nando and Sloane this wasn't such a big issue since they'd known each other previously, but they really didn't get much time together for us to feel a connection between them. 

The Sloane's switch places, the figure skating Sloane to play hockey and the hockey playing Sloane to figure skate.  Surprisingly it didn't bother me much that this was a bit farfetched and unlikely that either could pull it off and I enjoyed the bit of drama we got with each trying to get into 'character' and be someone else.  I liked the secondary characters, but once again we didn't get to know them well.

I enjoyed the end of the book quite a lot even though it wrapped up rather quickly it answered any questions I had and I finished feeling pretty satisfied. 

Despite a lack of connection with the story or characters I did rather find myself enjoying the book.  I went from thinking it was a 2 star read for me to a 2.5 and I think rounding it up to 3 isn't being too generous.  
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

14 comments:

  1. I didn't pick this one up from Vine because I'd heard it was hard to connect with the characters. Interesting concept and, hey, hockey but it just didn't cry out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see everyone reading this book and now I want to read it too. This book sounds good. Nice review .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't love this one as much as I was hoping I would either Candace. Great honest review.

    I hope you have a fabulous weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Each one could have used maybe a bit more fleshing out and dealing with each thing a bit more thoroughly."

    My thoughts exactly Candace! I have my review of this one going up next week and it's very similar to yours. I enjoyed reading this one overall, but I felt like it could have been so much more than it was. I almost wished it was split into two books with each Sloane as a focal point so we would have gotten more depth. I realize that would have completely altered the premise, but I just didn't like feeling like I never really knew either girl :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen this one, but never really gave it much attention. Sounds like it did have some potential, but it didn't pan out though. :( Sorry, it wasn't all that good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm glad that I passed the chance to review this one. There's nothing more unsatisfying that unfleshed-out characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great this one started to become more enjoyable as you got further into the novel. Honestly, the summary never really appealed to me. It's definitely one of those "suspend disbelief" types of books, which can be a bit difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been going back and forth with this one it seems like no one completely loves it so it's all mostly matching your opinion. It sounds like a decent read but I don't want meh right now I'm in a kinda book slump where I seem to read all the crap lately so I need MINDBLOWING reads you know! haha. But I'm glad to know what to expect with this one. I do find a lot of YA lately have things happening that you have to kind of ignore the implausibility of it. Great review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, thats a bit disappointing that you didn't feel a connection with the story and characters. Ive had my eye on this, but was waiting for reviews.
    Thanks for your helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are generous, i would've stuck with 2 stars if this were me. Contemporary novels should be character driven because it doesn't have world building to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kind of need a connection to the characters, but at least the questions were answered and you felt satisfied otherwise. Perhaps they just needed to concentrate on a couple of people or just one. Still, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a shame that you didn't really get into it until the end. I give you kudos for not making this a DNF.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I almost requested this book on Netgalley, but decided not to because I was afraid I might not be able to connect to the characters easily. I read Morrill's Meant to Be, which I liked, but just never connected to the characters. I'm glad you still enjoyed this even though you didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read a book with a similar premise this year (the girls were dancers) but didn't love it either so I'm trying to be realistic about this one. I didn't love Meant to Be either so that's another reason. Hopefully it will be okay for me too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs