Wednesday, December 4, 2013

#TheBookThief Book Club- Movie Review


On Sunday I was lucky enough to get to go to see The Book Thief movie with my book club.  A few weeks previous we had met up to discuss the book. You can find that post HERE. We've been really excited to go and see how the movie turned out.  While the overall reaction was that we liked it, there were some that liked it quite a lot less.


Without any spoilers it came down to this- We knew that not everything from the book could be included in the movie.  However, we felt like the emotional impact was lessened because of some things that were left out.  For the most part we felt it was visually appealing and that the actors played their roles well.  One of us felt that the mother, Rosa, wasn't as abrasive as she was in the book.  I felt like she was and that it wasn't important for her to be more abrasive in the movie.  She felt true to character to me.  And I really felt like Sophie Nélisse played Liesel perfectly.   As a matter of fact, all the actors felt just perfect to me and while initially I was a bit unsure of Max, he actually played the role very well. In fact, I would have liked more scenes with him.  For the most part we all seemed happy with the casting.  If we hadn't just read the book we may have ended up enjoying the movie more, but as it was we found ourselves noticing every little detail that was changed.

Some things needed to change or be left out and that's okay, we are well aware that not everything will be able to be included.  The movie was just slightly over 2 hours and we agreed that an extra half hour would have been an acceptable length and been enough to include a few more key parts of the book.


We had a wide range of opinion and it seemed like several others initial reactions were disappointment while I felt completely happy at first and only as time went on and I remembered the things missing that I felt it could have perhaps went up a notch.  I also felt that lack of emotion while watching the movie because I kept waiting for it.  I was prepared with a box of tissue and in fact never even had to take it out.

The ratings between the 7 of us ranged from 2 stars to 5 stars, with the average being 3 stars.  I would personally rate it 4 stars myself.  I felt like it was a good movie and was more true to the book then many book to movie adaptations.  It's a movie I would see again, but not in the theater.  It's a movie I recommend you see, but in this case I would actually suggest seeing the movie before you read the book, I think you might appreciate it better. I could be wrong though, and I'm almost always on the other side of the fence saying you need to read the book first.  I'm realizing that I'm just not very happy with book to movie adaptations because my expectations are too high.

One thing we've decided is that we need to go to more movies as a group for book to movie adaptations because we really enjoyed it.  We had time to chat before the movie and we chatted about it once it was over.  It was a very enjoyable time and most certainly worth it for all of us.  I'm looking forward to our next outing, which will hopefully be fairly soon!

Want a discussion guide? You can find one HERE.
THE BOOK THIEF – in theaters now
Based on the beloved bestselling book, THE BOOK THIEF tells the inspirational story of a spirited and courageous young girl who transforms the lives of everyone around her when she is sent to live with a new family in World War II Germany.
Starring Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson, and Sophie Nélisse.
Directed by Brian Percival.
THE BOOK THIEF online
Visit the official website
Like THE BOOK THIEF on Facebook
Follow @BookThiefMovie on Twitter #TheBookThief
Official Movie Trailer:

Big thank you to Twentieth Century Fox for providing this wonderful opportunity!

22 comments:

  1. I still haven't seen the movie and quite honestly I never expect a lot from the movie (except from Divergent) so I kinda of knew that some things would get changed. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall and that the cast was great. I must see the movie soon. Great review Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Candace, I'm so jelous of you for seeing this already! I promised I'd wait for my sister and go see it with her and my mom since we're all fans of the book, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep my word. I just know it's going to be magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the challenge with movies made from books, they risk leaving things out and not being true to the book. Do you know whether Death was a narrator in the movie? Glad to hear it still stayed quite true to the scenes that made it in.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death was still the narrator, but wasn't really as present since a movie doesn't really need a narrator. He was there in the beginning and end and then in certain points during, but was more brief. It almost felt awkward with him there though. I guess I have mixed feelings about that aspect. Not sure how I feel.

      Delete
  4. Definitely enjoyed the book and want to see the movie, though I'll wait until it comes out for home viewing (I rarely go to the theater -- a little too ADD to sit that long without getting up a lot). I knew they'd have to leave stuff out, since very few people would go to see a 6-hour movie but I'm glad to hear it didn't effect the story *too* much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that overall you really enjoyed this Candace! Movies are so hard, especially when the book is so detailed and long, you just can never fit everything into a movie like you can a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the book, so I have a feeling this movie will have a greater impact on me as a result because I don't know what to expect. I struggle with book to movie adaptations sometimes just because I sit there and catalog all the things they changed or left out, and that takes the fun out of it. It's better when I either haven't read the book at all or just haven't read it in so long that I'm foggy on the details:) Glad you enjoyed it though Candace, I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might enjoy it more since you haven't read it. I'll be curious to see what you think.

      Delete
  7. It's been several years since I read the book, 4 or 5 maybe, and honestly I don't plan on rereading the book before seeing the movie. I don't want to sit through it and go "that didn't happen in the book" or "why was that part cut out?" I know that the film adaptation and the book are two different forms and I do expect changes to happen. Still I'm very excited to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might enjoy it a lot because you won't notice the small things, but you still have a general idea of the story. I'll be curious to see what you think. I think that's the way to do it, read the book a few years before the movie so the memory has faded a bit.

      Delete
  8. Ahh, I really want to see this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome! I'm jelly! I want to come with you guys next time.. I'll bring cupcakes! I need to read the book soon so I can watch the movie once it's out on DVD or BlueRay - it looks like a movie I would really enjoy, too! :) Thanks for motivating me with your lovely post, sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, you're welcome anytime! I'll even pick you up from the airport! ;)

      Delete
  10. I finally bought the book:) I have had such poor experiences when going back and forth between books and movies, that I instated a new rule this year! Book OR Movie. It may just become a guideline, but going to see a movie adaptation with a group who also read the book? Now, that sounds really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still need to read the book. Not sure if I want to read the book first or see the movie. Hm... might end up seeing the movie first. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like this was a pretty good movie and I am sure you all had a great time going together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you reviewed the movie, I bought the book and was debating breaking my own personal rule and seeing the movie in theaters..but I will go ahead and read the book first, then get the dvd later. Thanks Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This look like a good movie :) I have never read the book or watch the movie :) Both sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know next to nothing about the book or movie, except that I want to watch it and read it because I've heard so much about them, but a review of three stars makes me kind of sad.

    However, how fun that you go to it with your book club! I want a book club like that. Well, I just want a book club in general.

    Sigh. One day . . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a great time. I have to admit I'm a little jealous of your book club friends. Sounds like such fun. I haven't read the book yet so I'm going to watch the movie on dvd when it comes out and then read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting - I heard RAVE reviews from the first people who saw it before it hit theaters but now more mixed reviews.

    I haven't read the book so I'll probably be less picky about it. I rarely see movies of books I 've actually read because it just changes my memories of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really loved the movie, and I totally cried! It has been a long time since I read the book, though, so I generally knew certain moments were coming, but still had a bit of emotional suspense because I wasn't looking for specifics. I think if I had just read the book I might have enjoyed it less because I'd be counting the details they left out and it would have taken me out of the movie more. I absolutely adored Sophie as Liesel and Nico as Rudy. They were wonderful! Glad you enjoyed it and had a good time with your book club! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs