Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Favorite YA Books of 2013


Going through my list of YA books I happened to notice that I have tagged reviews of 476 YA books.  Considering I have that many here, at my house, to read yet, that's not many.  But for some reason that sounded rather impressive...

One thing I've realized as I look back through my reviews is that my opinion seems to change a bit.  There were some I saw that I rated 5 stars and for some reason those books didn't stick with me like I thought they would.  Then there were some 4 stars that I was just sure I had rated 5 stars and they had stuck with me very well.  I'm glad I'm splitting this up into best YA, best MG and best adult, that makes it a bit easier. It's still hard to break it down into my very most favorites. But here's my best shot.  Honestly, I don't know how accurate this even is.  I was really torn about several.

Openly Straight by Bill Konigberg (Review)
I love putting books on this list that maybe haven't gotten as much recognition. This book really hit me hard and made me think about things in a different way. 

Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman (Review & Review)
I had to put both of them.  I loved both of their stories and loved getting a more in depth look to their lives.  If there's one complaint it's just that I wish we'd gotten a little more.  I would have liked to seen where things go next.

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick (Review)
I had a bit of a battle for this spot.  I read a lot more contemporary this year and figuring out what ones I would include as favorites was a real challenge. 
 
Crown of Midnight by Sara J. Maas (Review)
I"m not even sure what to say.  This series is turning out to be one of my favorite fantasies.  And this is one love triangle that actually works.

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo (Review)
It wasn't even an option to leave this one out.  So many amazing characters!  Such a creative world! I could go on...

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta (Review)
Want a series with ALL the emotions?  One that will literally rip your heart out?  This is the series for you.  I can't believe it's over.  It's a relief in a way, in another way I'm sad that it's over.  Lots of love for all these characters.

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi (Review)
I love complicated multifaceted characters that you never really know what to expect from. 

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers (Review)
So much love for this series.  I love that it's historical fiction with more magical realism.  I would say it's fantasy, but light on the fantasy aspects. 


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (Review)
This book was just so much awesome. I loved that it was about a college student and we got a real look at college and the experience.  And Rainbow Rowell is a genius with characters!
 
Horde by Ann Aguirre (Review)
I can't believe this series is over.  This is another one that I knew HAD to be on this list.  It was definitely one of the best series conclusions I've read.  Ever.



Well, that's my list.  Stay tuned for my list of favorite Adult books cause off the top of my head I can think of several excellent ones.

On another note- I've been sick, sick, sick.  I'll be playing catch up on my comments once I start to feel a bit better.  Hopefully that is very soon!

24 comments:

  1. OMG, I'm totally impressed with how many books you've read. Some like Crown of Midnight, Dark Triumph, and Unravel Me are my favorites too. I've got to read Ann Aguirre's series. My daughter highly recommends it too though with all her homework she won't have time to read Horde until this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see some of my favorites on this list and some that I still really want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh Dark Triumph is definitely on my list, which I need to start working on! Just so many good books out there to highlight. I'm glad you split yours up so each category will get its due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CROWN OF MIDNIGHT!!! I haven't tried Leigh Bardugo's books yet...I really should! And Quintana of Charyn is out? HOW DID I NOT KNOW???

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to just about every single one of those!! While I highly enjoyed Just One Day, I DNFed Just One Year. Willem...meh. Fantastic list, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I've only read 3 books on your list! I definitely want to read Fangirl. I just finished and absolutely LOVED Eleanor and Park. I also think I'll give Sarah Mass's books a shot too. I know many people who didn't like book 1 loved book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are an equal number of books I've read and loved and books I desperately need to read on that list Candace! I of course adored Siege and Storm and Horde, both were absolutely amazing I thought. I need to read the Dark Triumph series and the Gayle Forman series, those are two that make me shake my head at myself that I haven't picked them up yet! I just keep getting distracted by other things O.o

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay I'm so glad to find another Robin LaFevers fan! There have been so many mixed reviews over her books and I really love them so I'm glad to see you do too! I'm so excited that there's going to be a sequel to My Life Next Door it's such an amazing book!

    Emily @ Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I will post my favorites soon too.

    Fangirl and Horde are on my wishlist. Unravel Me I have already read but didn't like it as much as Shatter Me. Hopefully will like the last one better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of these are my favorites too, of course! Horde and Dark Triumph in particular. And let's not forget Unravel Me! Man, that book destroyed my poor little heart.
    I bought a copy of Openly Straight the second I read your review. It's now waiting for me to dig my way out of this mountain of arcs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What I haven't read of these, they are on my wishlist! Such a great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! So many of these are on my wishlist!! Hope you feel better soon, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I still need to read OPENLY STRAIGHT, DARK TRIUMPH, JUST ONE YEAR, and MY LIFE NEXT DOOR. Where did all the time go, Candace?! The year is almost out and I can't read everything. *cries*

    SIEGE & STORM is totally on my list, too--we're publishing ours on December 31. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  14. AAH so many amazing books here! I completely agree with you about Horde, Just One Year, Crown of Midnight, Siege & Storm, Dark Triumph and Fangirl! These are all going to be re-read by me at some point (probably in the very near future). Clearly I need to read Openly Straight asap! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for Just One Day! I got JOY (love that acronym) and need to read it, haha. S&S was great, still need to read ToG/CoM. Oh, Unravel Me was all kinds of awesome, love that series. I def love the Grave Mercy series. Need to check out more of Rainbow's books, too. Great list!

    Vi
    AKA Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only one I've read is Dark Triumph, and I totally agree with you. I want to read pretty much all the other books on your list, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome list. I've only read one of these (Fangirl), but a bunch of these series are on my TBR. I just need time to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You picked some seriously awesome books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice picks. I have been meaning to read one of Gayle Foreman's books for the longest. I am going to have to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay Siege and Storm and Fangirl are on your list! LOVE those books so much <3

    - Farzy @ Books Keep Me Sane

    ReplyDelete
  21. A few of yours made my 2013 list. I broke mine up into three YA, NA, and Adult Top Ten Favorites and like you was surprised when the ones I chose weren't all fives. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved Fangirl. I haven't heard of Openly Straight, which is rather sad. I read a review of Just One Year the other day that blatantly told me the ending. I was really irritated. Still want to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the list!! I can't get Seige and Storm from my library to save my life, there are still so many holds for it. Ugh. I was just doing my post for my favorites, and Unravel Me is mine too. Wasn't it Amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Um, it sounds impressive because it IS impressive, for the record.

    And this is the best idea EVER! I would love to pick your brain on the best YA books, and here it is. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs