Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Adult Review: Must Love Otters by Eliza Gordon


Must Love Otters by Eliza Gordon
Published October 29th, 2013 by West 26th St. Press, NYC
Source: Author

Hollie Porter is the chairwoman of Generation Disillusioned: at twenty-five years old, she’s saddled with a job she hates, a boyfriend who’s all wrong for her, and a vexing inability to say no. She’s already near her breaking point, so when one caller too many kicks the bucket during Hollie’s 911 shift, she cashes in the Sweethearts’ Spa & Stay gift certificate from her dad and heads to Revelation Cove, British Columbia. One caveat: she’s going solo. Any sweethearts will have to be found on site.

Hollie hopes to find her beloved otters in the wilds of the Great White North, but instead she’s providing comic relief for staff and guests alike. Even Concierge Ryan, a former NHL star with bad knees and broken dreams, can’t stop her from stumbling from one (mis)adventure to another. Just when Hollie starts to think that a change of venue doesn’t mean a change in circumstances, the island works its charm and she starts to think she might have found the rejuvenation she so desperately desires. But then an uninvited guest crashes the party, forcing her to step out of the discomfort zone where she dwells and save the day … and maybe even herself in the process.

This is the kind of book I need to read more of.  I had a goofy grin while reading it, I laughed out loud numerous times, and I even got a little teary eyed at the most romantic parts.  This book completely blew me away and I enjoyed every single minute of it!

Hollie is a hilarious character, with inner monologue that will have you rolling on the floor in laughter. She just gets herself into these situations that are awkward, embarrassing and absolutely hilarious!  At least for us, since it's not happening to us. ;)  Hollie has discovered she is just not happy with her life.  After traipsing with her through her horribly bad/ridiculous relationship, her depressing job where she's under-appreciated and even to her fathers home where she's assaulted by his goat, we see she clearly needs a change in her life.  I was cheering her on when she decided to call in sick for a week to go to a resort in Canada.  She manages to still find herself in ridiculous and compromising circumstances and I just loved every minute of it!  Poor Hollie...

I felt it was clear the moment we meet the person who is to be her love interest, but we had to stick by through some awkward moments, and lots of flirty banter.  This build up between them was what elevated this romance.  It's still technically fast, but they have lots of 'moments' where we see things develop between them.  At first it's not even romantic, at least on Hollie's part, but the steam is definitely heating up between them.  When things finally take off it's total SWOON!  The setting is pretty much as romantic as it gets and the description of the moments between them put tears in my eyes.  They are out on the water on a boat watching wildlife, and since I live in the PNW and know how beautiful it is, I really felt that beauty.  I also felt that it was described extremely well in the book and I was able to really feel like I was there.  I have never been to BC Canada, but I've been almost that far north and I can imagine what it looks like.  Also Hollie lives in Portland, which is where I live (well, I live next to Portland) so all the places she mentions locally were places I know (for the most part).

The romantic interest (at least eventually) is not of the traditional sort.  We see him as Hollie does and initially I felt she wasn't that attracted to him.  So what we first connect with is his personality.  He's got some quick and smart retorts, he's unpredictable and he's honorable.  He's also a real gentleman.  Not that it always keeps him from holding his tongue, but he'll do anything to help Hollie.   I liked that we got a male character that we weren't swooning over his body initially, but more his personality. And Hollie, as she got to know him better, started falling for his looks as well.  There's some reasons while initially he wasn't 'as' attractive as well, and if you're a hockey fan, you may understand that sooner then I did and maybe make that connection almost immediately. 

This book is easy to read, fun, non-stressful and extremely romantic.  This was a perfect palate cleanser and I know that I'll be looking for more books from this Eliza Gordon writing team.  I highly recommend!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

20 comments:

  1. This sounds soooo good. I think it is awesome that we get to know Hollies love interest in a good way. Sometimes it more about the hotness than what it below the surface. Wonderful review. I am going to add this one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love otters! The title alone makes me smile. Hollie sounds like someone I need to meet and spend some time with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I think I will have to check this one out now! Great review Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this book and I've got a feeling like I'm missing a lot. I love those books that make you feel and this one seem to do just that. Great review, Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this sounds like fun! I love books that just put you in a good mood, and I remember seeing your Instagram photo where you were chuckling over it. Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard of this one at all. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to have a goofy grin on my face Candace! I love books like this, and I'm definitely in the mood for exactly this type of read right now. *bookmarks this review* I've always wanted to live in the PNW, not that Ohio isn't nice, but out west is where I'd love to be, so the setting of this one is obviously hugely appealing. Thanks so much for the recommendation my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds adorable and just the type of read to curl up on a sofa with a warm blanket and cup of hot cocoa when it's 4 degrees outside. Yep that's the high in Chicago! I'll have to add this one to my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw you post on IG and it got my attention. I think I could like this book very much. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review Candace. This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this book was so unbelievably awesome. I loved every bit of it. It was probably one of my most fav or favs of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just talking to a friend about ALL guys being so hot! and we just wanted to read about an average guys. Sounds like this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this sounds like a wonderful read! I love hilarity and I think I'm going to like Hollie's voice. It's awesome that she doesn't swoon over the guy physically at first, but falls for his personality. Those are the best kind of romances because they're realistic. Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sound of this one. I'm with you... I mean I love the swoony body (don't get me wrong) but he MUST have the personality to go with it. So I LOVE that she feel in love with his personality first. Besides a persons attractiveness can go up or down with the personality. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your 5 star rating has me very excited! I need more books like this in my life, too. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A book that can make you laugh and cry?! I'm adding this to my wishlist:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I laughed so hard at this title. lol. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just downloaded it. I cannot wait to read it. Your reviews are always so great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This type of romance - the slowly developed one where we see and feel exactly what the protagonist sees and feels - is my very favorite kind. I saw your post on FB yesterday and I was intrigued, but I wasn't home to read your review. Now I'm getting myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhh! I must read this! It sounds exactly like the kind of books I've been in the mood for lately.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been hearing about this book around the inter webs, so I'm glad to know that you read and liked it, as that's a huge boost as to me wanting to read it. With a title like that, who wouldn't!?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs