Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Picture Tour of Brussels for The Master's Book by Philip Coleman + Giveaway


I'm really excited to welcome author Philip Coleman here for The Master's Book blog tour.  I really loved this book and you can check out my review HERE. This tour is hosted by me and you can find the tour page with all the tour stop HERE.  For my tour stop I have the author visiting the blog for a picture tour of Brussels.  This is one post I'm REALLY excited about, I love 'visiting' other countries and cities!



I’d like to take you on a picture tour of Brussels, where most of the action in The Master’s Book takes place.

Brussels was founded in the 10th Century and, over the centuries, control of the city moved from the Duchy of Burgundy, to the Spanish Empire, then to France, and then the Netherlands, before finally becoming the capital of the new Kingdom of Belgium in 1831. The end of the 19th Century saw Brussels become the capital of Art Nouveau, a new style that took Europe by storm, but that faded in the grim reality of World War I, when the city was occupied by the Germans. It was also occupied in World War II, after which it became the location for most of the institutions of the new European Economic Community, now the European Union. Sadly, this led to the demolition of some fine old buildings, and the construction of some hideous new ones. But the city still has lots of charm and I’ve tried to capture these aspects in this tour.

1. Typically, the facades of every house in a Brussels street are different (although matching pairs are tolerated). Here is the Maison Saint-Cyr, a lovely Art Nouveau house, designed by Gustave Strauven, sandwiched between two relatively ordinary ones on the Square Ambiorix.

2. Every Sunday antique dealers gather in the Place Grand Sablon to sell their wares; this event features in my story.

3. The Place Grand Sablon is the location of one of Brussels’ most important churches; the Church of Our Lady of the Grand Sablon.

4. Belgium is famous for lace, tapestries, beer and, of course, chocolate.

5. The Rue du Bouchers, or Butchers’ Street, is full of restaurants aimed at tourists, where they can enjoy Belgian specialities, such as mussels and fries.

6. The Grand Place, at the heart of Brussels, is one of the most beautiful city squares in Europe.

7. Also the Grand Place.

8. The Halle Gate is the only surviving gate of the old city walls. After the walls were removed it served as a prison but is now a museum.

9. Various legends account for the origin of the Manneken Pis, the sculpture of a little boy urinating into a fountain. He gets dressed up regularly, in various historical costumes, in the kit of Belgium’s football team, as Elvis or as Santa Claus.

10. Inevitably, the girls wanted their own equivalent of the Manneken Pis, and so Brussel also sports a statue of a little girl peeing, called the Janneken Pis.

11. Belgium is also famous for comic strips, and scenes from these can be found on some of the walls around the city. Here is Tintin, Belgium’s most famous comic strip character, created by Hergé.

12. Officially, Brussels was founded in 979 AD, when the relics of Saint Gudula were lodged in the town. These relics are now located in the Cathedral of Saint Michael and Saint Gudula.

13. The Marolles area is one of the more quietly charming parts of Brussels, with lots of curious antique shops and restaurants.

14. Many houses in Brussels have blank end walls decorated with false windows, as with this hat shop in the Marolles area.

15. Many of Brussels’ most famous Art Nouveau buildings were originally built for commercial purposes. The Old England Department Store, designed by the greatest of the Art Nouveau architects, Victor Horta, is now the Museum of Musical Instruments, and it features in my story.



About The Master’s Book:

Sean moves to Brussels to a house that is a crime scene...
In 1482 Mary, the last Duchess of Burgundy, lies on her deathbed in a castle in Flanders. She is only 25. In her final moments she makes a wish that, 500 years later, will threaten the lives of a boy and a girl living in Brussels.

The Master’s Book is the story of Sean, an Irish teenager, just arrived in Brussels to a house that is also a crime scene. Together with Stephanie, his classmate, he finds an illuminated manuscript, only for it to be stolen almost at once.

Where did this manuscript come from? Who was it originally made for? Is there a connection with the beautiful tomb Sean has seen in Bruges? Above all, why does someone want this book so badly that they are prepared to kill for it?

Part thriller and part paper-chase, this book is aimed at boys and girls of twelve and over.



Book can be found at: GoodReads | Amazon




Author bio

Philip Coleman has worked as a biologist for most of his life—in Ireland, Belgium and now in Switzerland.
Having been an avid reader all his life, he took up writing only in 2006. This is his first published novel. He drew his inspiration for the story from the period he spent working for the EU in Brussels. He has a grown-up son and daughter (who were roughly the same ages as Sean and Maeve during the time in Brussels but otherwise aren’t a bit like them at all!). He now lives in France.


Author Sites:
WebsiteTwitter | Facebook | GoodReads

a Rafflecopter giveaway

27 comments:

  1. Brussels is magical, ill have to visit it soon.
    Thank you for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures! I would love to visit all of these places someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that Brussels was a pretty city. I mean due to its history and everything I imagined it to be pretty amazing. But these pictures made me wanna leave everything and go and visit it. I hope that I'll one day. Thank you for this guest post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the Grand Place is absolutely stunning! I could just stand in that square and take hundreds of pictures all day long:) I love the little cobblestone streets as well, they're just beautiful. Definitely adding Brussels to the travel wish list! The peeing statues made me snort, gotta love a city with a sense of humor:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing pictures! Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! It's always nice to get a little history behind other cities and countries that I have never been too. I love the artwork on the walls throughout the city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! I wanna go! Sounds like a great place to visit. Also... had to laugh at the peeing girl. Equal time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the photos. I wish I could go there, so much to see. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing Brussels with us, I love the architecture and the markets. Now I want to travel. The peeing girl makes me think of the old adage "be careful what you wish for"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to Brussel. I should have listen to me instead of the travel tour company. I would have made a stop during the European Tours back in the early 90's. The tour companies don't offer this kind of tour like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! Now I'm definitely adding Brussels to my visit list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! My son would love the mussels and fries. I think I'd love the antique shops and the beautiful buildings. I'll put Brussels on my list of places to visit! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love the pictures! I wish I had the means to visit all those places. :) It looks like a fun place to be during the holidays! :) I think it would be magical place. Thank you so much for sharing these Amazing Pictures with all of us! :) Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE these! This book is so great! I am excited to be part of this tour! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you liked the pictures. Of course you're seeing the best bit but nevertheless the city is worth a visit. And you have three beautiful Flemish towns within an hour's drive or train journey: Bruges, Ghent and Leuven

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pictures! Expect for the girl peeing. That's just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved this post! Gorgeous pictures! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos. Would love to visit. Thanks for the awesome giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ^^ there are a lot more magical thing to see iN Brussels ( by the way is " la rue DEs bouchers" because in teh past it was where all teh butchers were located ( like they are a streets for all principal kind of carriere at teh time the most popular one having a house on " la grand place"

    thank you so much for promoting our capital!!! Yes come and visit but believe it or not ^^ opne week isn't enough to see all of it

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Brussels, I visited in college and found it to be so atmospheric and beautiful. These pictures are lovely, and this sounds like the perfect setting for this story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic pictures! Will have to visit Brussels!
    Thank you

    Annegret

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I loved that picture tour! I can't wait to go to Brussels someday. I'm a big traveler, and I've heard so much about it, and I'm so sad I haven't gone yet.

    I also loved the picture of the girl peeing hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That peeing picture maked me laugh :D
    Thank you for sharing nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pictures are very interesting! Would love to travel one day

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs