Tuesday, June 21, 2011

MFT Guest: Alyxandra Harvey and Giveaway of Haunting Violet


Today we have the lovely and uber talented Alyxandra Harvey on the blog!  This is perfect timing because Haunting Violet comes out today (June 21st)!  So make sure you head out and purchase a copy.  If your unable to purchase then here's your chance to win one of three copies being given away, just read to the end of the post for all the giveaway information.
Don't know what Haunting Violet is about?  Here's the Description:
Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts. But they believe in her. After spending years participating in her mother's elaborate ruse as a fraudulent medium, Violet is about as skeptical as they come in all matters supernatural. Now that she is being visited by a very persistent ghost, one who suffered a violent death, Violet can no longer ignore her unique ability. She must figure out what this ghost is trying to communicate, and quickly because the killer is still on the loose.
Afraid of ruining her chance to escape her mother's scheming through an advantageous marriage, Violet must keep her ability secret. The only person who can help her is Colin, a friend she's known since childhood, and whom she has grown to love. He understands the true Violet, but helping her on this path means they might never be together. Can Violet find a way to help this ghost without ruining her own chance at a future free of lies?

Alyxandra, it’s great to have you on for the My Favorite Things Event.  The Drake Chronicles are one of my favorite series!  I really fell in love with that fantastic family.  When I heard you had a new book coming out that is outside the Drake family I was excited, but when I heard it was about ghosts I was uber excited!  For some reason ghosts stories are some of my favorites.  I think it’s because I believe in ghosts and so they are more real to me. 
To give people a better idea of who Violet is about can you describe her in 10 words for us?
Violet is a clever and conflicted bookworm who is gifted, poor, and a cracking good pickpocket!
Hearts at Stake (Drake Chronicles, Book 1)
Do you believe in ghosts? 
I do. I live in a Victorian house and many of our friends who visit, especially the skeptical ones, have stories of having their hair pulled or seeing people where there are none. A few have even refused to come back! Happily, I’ve never seen a ghost (maybe a ghost dog though) since I have to sleep in our house and I already have a rather active imagination.
Was any part of Haunting Violet based on true stories that you heard or ran across somewhere?
The idea for Haunting Violet popped into my head when I was reading about fake séances in the 1870’s. I could picture Violet reluctantly working for her mother  and how confused she would be if she ever found out ghosts were actually real. Once I had that question in my mind, I just felt compelled to answer it!
Blood Feud (Drake Chronicles)Why did you choose to place the story in 1872?
The 1870’s were a particularly good time for the Spiritualist movement and  public mediums. It was all the rage but the holes were also starting to show through the fabric. You had mediums who offered truly miraculous events and others who were just as often being tripped up in their lies. Plus, I love a good bustle!
Are any of your characters, in any of your stories ever based on real people?
I don’t generally base my characters on people I know because I’d really hate to have to explain myself!  I do slip in friend’s names but only for minor walk-on roles. Usually my characters pop up fairly well formed, I just have to focus the details a little.
Which of your characters, in any of your books, is most like you?
I’m sure there’s a little bit of me in all of my characters. I’m a bookworm like Violet, quiet like Solange and snarky like Lucy. Probably I’m most like Lucy’s mom who we see more of in Bleeding Hearts.
When writing Haunting Violet what was your biggest obstacle to overcome?
I wrote Haunting Violet while I was struggling with iron deficiency/ borderline anemia.  Staying awake was a struggle, and so I could rarely make it out to the computer. Instead, I curled up on the couch or at the dining room table and wrote longhand. In the end it was a lovely intimate way to write a book.
Out for Blood (Drake Chronicles)Is this set to be a series? Or is a stand alone?
Haunting Violet is a standalone, but I admit I wrote a sequel right afterwards because I just couldn’t help myself!

If you could be one supernatural creature, what would you pick?
Great question! I would like to be a time traveler. I’m not sure if that counts as a supernatural creature but I’d just really like to visit different periods in history (Regency, Victorian, Ancient Egypt, Iron Age Celts, Middle Ages...)    but still come home for my hot shower and ice cream.
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer the questions.  I know you’ve got a busy schedule and it’s very much appreciated! 
Thanks so much for thinking of me!

The Giveaway: *Ended*
Bloomsbury is generously giving away 3 (yes, 3!) copies of Haunting Violet.
This is open to US addresses only.
Must be 13 or older to enter.
Ends July 5th, 2011

To Enter: *This giveaway is closed*
Leave a comment about the interview and include contact info :)

80 comments:

  1. Thank you for the interesting interview. I've read about fake séances in the 1870’s also and always thought it would be a good topic for a novel. As I'm not a writer, I'm glad Alyxandra Harvey has written Haunting Violet. I can't wait to read it.

    Thank you for the chance to win!

    methom@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haunting Violet sounds like a great book!

    I lived in a haunt house for three years as a teenager. I didn't really have any issues with it then but thinking back, I don't want to live in another one if I can help it!

    Jen
    Lratrandom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great interview and giveaway. This sounds like a really interesting book that I would want to read.

    o2oole(at)verizon(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... this book sounds so intriguing. I also believe in ghosts.

    My dad is a contractor, and for a long time he did a huge remodeling for a house which everyone said was haunted. He would come in to work in the mornings and find all the doors in the house (inside and out) wide open, and one time he was under the house messing with the plumbing and he heard footsteps and voices in the rooms overhead. He assumed the guys he was working with had come in, but when he looked, he was the only person on the site. It's giving me chills!

    ANYWAY, thanks for the giveaway! :) I really can't wait to read Hearts At Stake as well as Haunting Violet.

    aveelachild@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome giveaway!

    gfc follower

    vidishamun@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! How neat that she wrote Haunting Violet longhand!!!

    You know how to contact me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I love her Drake Chronicles books so I'm really excited to read this one.

    Thanks for the giveaway :)


    tiffanyinwonderland(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great interview. I had not read this author before but after this it will have to be on my TBR list. Thank you for coming on and telling us about these books. Haunting Violet sounds like a great read. I cannot wait.

    GFC

    terilhack at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cover on this. Would love to win!

    iLiveiLaughiLoveBooks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is incredible that the book was written long hand. I am so accustomed to typing now that writing a check hurts, LOL.

    robin [at] intensewhisper [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm one who is also skeptical about ghosts, a ghost dog would be okay though. lol

    booksaredreams@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that it is interesting that she picked "time traveler" (even though it is not really a supernatural creature). I would love to have that ability.

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    ilikethesebooksblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that it is interesting that she picked "time traveler" (even though it is not really a supernatural creature). I would love to have that ability.

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    ilikethesebooksblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! Thank you so much! :D

    mcrs_venin(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed the interview...help me learn what type of questions to ask for any interviews i shall do :D

    coffee_ishita@yahoo.com

    thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. She sounds sooo cool! I would so love to be a time traveler as well!

    txmandaxt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for this one. I've been eager for it!

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the last 1800s is one of the best time periods in which to set a book, definitely looking forward to Haunting Violet.

    Thanks for the awesome giveaway. :)

    Orchid
    The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia
    hauntingorchid(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's interesting that she doesn't put more of herself into her characters. I have such a hard time writing about people other than myself... ha.

    Please enter me!

    arallison at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had no idea that Haunting Violet was set in the past but now I'm even more excited to read it since I love paranormal books that mix in a historical setting. Also I love the whole idea of being a time traveler too. I'm the biggest Doctor Who fan!

    Thanks so much for the giveaway!
    Shannon

    ShaEliPar(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOOO!!! Thanks for the super generous giveaway! I really REALLY badly want to read this!

    This was a great interview and she seems like a author worth checking out for sure!

    ~Harpreet
    xoxo

    My Email: hargur55@gmail.com

    http://booksforteens6212.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for hosting. Great cover - love her books! Old follower.
    bevsharp@desch.org

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed the interview! love that people think your house is haunted!! I'd love to be entered for this one.

    follow on gfc

    mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love characters that are bookworms. I connect with them so much.

    Sara M
    sara_UFblog [at] yahoo [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  25. My house is haunted by a CAT!

    I'd have to say time traveling would be my "superpower" wish as well, with hot showers, coffee and my soft, warm bed.

    Great interview!

    Evie
    cavernem AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm really, really excited to read this book. I would love to have a physical copy of it. It's definitely one of my top reads for the summer! Great Giveaway!

    Kara
    Survivorluvr33@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was an interesting read. I really like historical novels, so it's a big plus for me that it takes place in the 1870s.

    ringtheriot@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Interview! Time Travel is an awesome power. :)

    liedermadchen(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  29. You should get a journal for visitors to set down their stories. Even if you don't read it now, you might enjoy it after you move!

    books (dot) things (at) yahoo (Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the premise of the book, I can't wait to see how Violet deals with her persistent ghost.

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love ghost stories so I'm glad they're making a resurgence. I *also* like historicals so an 1872 setting is a really great backdrop.

    whatinabox at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, I'd love to be a time traveler as well! So much fun! :-)

    valialind(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  33. This author is new to me. The books sounds amazing. The cover especially for Haunting Violet is gorgeous. I too am familiar with those fake seances. They were really popular back then. I love that you built such a story around that. I hope you are doing better as well. I have a family member who had an issue with iron deficiency as well. I am amazed you got so much done during that time. Even if this is a standalone, is there a chance the sequel will come out or is it unofficial? I am so with you, time traveling would be great. Maybe it is best you become a time lord. You would be non-human and travel anywhere you want. Great interview and giveaway guys. Thank you :)

    drharleyquinn87 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an interesting idea: Time Traveling as a supernatural gift (Okay, so the question was supernatural creature)... but it worked in Heroes, right? lol... I know that was more of evolution like XMen, but I'm a fan of all supernatural/giftedness type ideas!
    Wonder if a new subgenre is ready to be spawned, move over Vampires/Mermaids/Faeries... the Time Travelers are coming! : )
    Thanks for the giveaway!
    ambience.of.rain {at} gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for the giveaway. I really want to read this book. Please enter me in contest. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for this giveaway!!!!!!

    This book looks amazing!

    ajiehuang1997(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love that the author said that there's a bit of her in all of her characters :) I love her novels, Solange is one of my favorites =) Keep writing! I would kill to have this book =) edysicecreamlover18ATgmailDOTcom GFC Krystal Larson

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much for the interview and the giveaway! I've been dying to read this one! I like how you'd want to be a time-traveler. I don't know what I'd want. I'd probably want to be able to fly!

    Miss Lauren
    misslaurenwilk(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yay a possible stand alone novel. There aren't that many out there in the YA world. This book sounds great.
    Thanks for the interview and giveaway.
    apk1princess(at)live(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for the giveaway :) Cool interview, Haunting Violet sounds awesome :) I love her Drake Chronicles books so I definitely need to check out Haunting Violet ;)

    aprilxu2222@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I enjoyed the interview and do like stories with ghosts in them. We were just talking to a friend about them the other day and they have also seen what they thought was a ghost.
    mce1011 AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm really excited about HAUNTING VIOLET because I fell in love with THE DRAKE CHRONICLES. And I find it very interesting that HV was a standalone, yet Alyx couldn't help but write a sequel!

    britneywyatt[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great interview, thanks! for the giveaway.

    tributebooksmama at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Haven't really read any historical fiction or ghost stories, but this sounds really interesting. Bring on the 1870's and the bustles! Haha!

    GFC: Candice
    candicerjames (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I do believe in ghosts. I've never seen one but both my dad and my grandmother saw someone in our family that had recently died. I would love to live in a Victorian home! I've always thought they were so beautiful! Thank you for the giveaway!

    mittens0831 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Such a wonderful interview. I have read the first two books in the drake series which are amazing. So I am really looking forward to seeing wants in store with this one. I would love to win this. :P Thank you!

    ChiKittie(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Even though it's a stand alone.. since she did write a sequel i wonder if she'll decide to publish it.
    Toreynmarjie@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. This looks like my type of book! I do believe in ghosts, too, because too many things have happened to me that have no other explanation.


    Margay1122ATaolDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks so much for the giveaway and interview! I absolutley love The Drake Chronicles and can't wait for more of them. I was so excited when I heard about this book and reading the interview only makes me want to read it more. I love learning about the author's relationship to their characters and how they came up with the idea for their books. I too believe in ghosts. Oh and I hope that Harvey decides to publish her sequel. I love her books.

    readsbyflashlight@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks so much for the great giveaway! I haven't read anything by this author but the description of this book really has me interested! I would love to win a copy of the book :)

    jwitt33 at live dot com

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  51. That must be interesting to live in an old house like that. It would be cool to have a ghost dog running around the house.
    Thanks so much for the giveaway!

    hollyjolly89gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Time traveler would be fantastic...and scary!

    ReplyDelete
  53. -Love the interview! I'm sad that there's no sequel. Even though I haven't read this book yet, I can just tell that {from this description} the sequel would have been very entertaining! I love ghosts. :D

    x
    Sierra
    ittssierraily{at]yahoo{dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love when I read interviews that make me even more excited for the book! Such interesting answers!! Love!

    basicallyamazingbooks [at] gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thank you for the great giveaway and interview! I love it when characters have a personalized touch. It makes them much easier to connect with than some made up personality.
    wolfluvr420 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  56. The cover is beautiful!
    Like Violet, I'm a conflicted bookworm, but I wish I was a good pickpocket too.
    I'd love to be a time traveler too, so much to see, so little time.

    Lindadao2060 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  57. I've heard such wonderful things about this book! I didn't realize it was a standalone, but that actually makes me happier. It's nice to know that I can read the book and get a nice complete story (and it's even better that there's a companion book).

    Thank you for the giveaway!
    imagesandwords at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
  58. What a great giveaway thank you so much! I loved her other books can't wait to read this one! Very pretty cover love it!
    tishajean@ charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  59. Love the cover, great interview

    ktalley28@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  60. my mother swore the house we lived in when I was 4-6 was haunted...it was a 120+ school house at the time. So 150 years old now...we went back and saw it a few years ago the new owners have totally redone it! It is really neat now. Not so sure about the haunted stuff!

    mmafsmith at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  61. great interview. i think its nice to have the book set in the 18002. one of the most interesting times to me.

    spicedice45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. Enjoyed the interview. I really agree with the remark about writing longhand feeling more intimate. The computer keyboard takes a lot of the romance and nostalgia away from pen and paper.

    Thanks for the giveaway,
    Jules
    onebookshy at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  63. hahaha love the answer about 1872!!!

    thanks for the giveaway!

    katie_tp(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  64. Ahh I'm dying to read this one!

    Oo I'm totally jealous she lives in a Victorian house...but I think I'd be way too freaked out by the ghost stories. I don't know whether I believe in ghosts -- but ghost stories freak me out more than any other (vamps, weres, whatever), so maybe on a subconscious level I do?

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    Casey
    thebookishtypereviews AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  65. I have been anxious to read this book ever since I read the summary. To find out that you had already written a sequel has just made it worse since I know that I'll be going crazy wanting to read it after I'm done reading Haunting Violet, lol.

    Thanks for having such an awesome giveaway!

    pointy.star@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  66. I think it's interesting that she had iron deficiency/anemia because that's something that many people have but few think about. I really want to read Haunting Violet!! Has she ever done a ghost tour? I love the ones in Williamsburg.

    wordslikesilverblog at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  67. Great interview. This is one of the top books I am looking forward to reading this year.

    bacchus76 at myself dot com

    ReplyDelete
  68. thanks for the interview, ive never read this book but it sounds good!

    starlightgirl678 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  69. I found it interesting how Harvey wrote Haunting Violet in longhand. I'm excited to hear that there's a sequel because I love the idea for Haunting Violet, and I'm eager to learn more about Lucy's mom, having heard that Harvey identifies herself with her more!

    Thanks bunches for the giveaway. This book is at the top of my TBR pile!!! :D

    Kris
    elfdrop at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  70. I was fortunate enough to read this for an ARC tour. I'd love to win a finished copy. Harvey did a tremendous job on this one!
    Kim
    bookbutterfly9(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  71. The premise for this sounds really interesting and I just LOVE stories where childhood best friends fall in love. So, wondering if the ghost dog has a name?

    dani AT refractedlightreviews DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  72. Oooh I love that the book is set in the 1870's, I love reading historical books!

    Thanks for the giveaway!
    danceislove27(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  73. I've been wanting to read this book. I see it in all the blogs I follow. Thanks for the awesome interview and the giveaway.

    audrisj1216@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  74. I love that the author just had to write a sequel! Would love to see it published. Thanks for the giveaway!

    meredithfl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  75. i would agree with you on the supernatural creature. it would be awesome to time travel and visit all the castles and temples and buildings from when they were first built. thank you for the giveaway!
    shadow_kohler(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  76. I love that YA is finally turning its gaze to the spirtualism fad from the late 1800s. Thanks for an awesome interview, and I can't wait to read this! Yay giveaways!

    usagiko at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  77. Ohhh! I have been wanting to read this book soooo bad! Thank you for the opportunity to win it!
    janaevw@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  78. Great interview - I'd want to time travel too, so long as I knew I wouldn't be changing things horribly.

    Mare
    tommygirl828 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  79. Wow, having to deal with all of that while trying to write must have been really hard to deal with. A definite obstacle, that's for sure. I really enjoyed Hearts at Stake and have been wanting to read the rest of the series as well as Haunting Violet so thanks for the interview and giveaway!

    ~Briana
    thebookpixie[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  80. Ha, I would never go visit Alyxandra's Victorian house! The possibility of a ghost there freaks me out! I love watching horror movies, but seeing ghosts in real life?

    *shivers*!!!

    jadedlittlegirlx [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs