Tuesday, June 14, 2011

MFT Guest: Laurie London and Erin Kellison on #DarkTour talk about some favorites. + a Giveaway!



Thanks, Candace, for hosting us for My Favorite Things. We’re here as part of our #DarkTour, where we’re celebrating the releases of our e-novellas: Hidden by Blood by Laurie London (that’s me) andShadow Touch by Erin Kellison (that’s her). We’ve got quite a prize package for one lucky commenter, so stay tuned.

As a reader, some of my favorite elements in books are spooky settings, hot romance, sexy heroes, great villains, and characters who are fighting both inner demons and outer conflicts. As a writer, I try to please my inner reader’s desires.

Hidden By Blood, an e-novella set in the Sweetblood world, opens with the hero, former Army Ranger Finn McKentry who is imprisoned as a blood slave, and the villain with a syringe. (Sexy hero? Check. He’s bold, brash, fearless, and he’s got an accent. Creepy villain? Check.)

They’re in an abandoned hunting cabin deep in the forests of the Pacific Northwest.(Spooky setting? Check.) Finn is a sweetblood, a human whose rare blood is addictive to vampires. (Outer conflict? Check.It’s a big problem when you live in a world where vampires live secretly among us.)

Unbeknownst to him, Brenna Stewart, a woman he'd once loved and lost, is also a vampire like his captor. (Inner demon? Check. She broke things off with him months ago because she was afraid of killing him) She rescues him and things heat up between them again. (Hot romance? Check. Check. And seriously, if my mom reads it, I’m going to be really embarrassed—particularly a memory that Finn recalls—not because I’ve done it, but she may think I have.) But nothing has changed: Brenna’s still a vampire, Finn’s still a human, and now that he knows about their existence, his memory must be altered. (Inner and outer conflicts collide? Check.)

When I read Erin’s e-novella, Shadow Touch, I loved it because it matches my favorite things criteria, too.

Hi everyone, Erin here. The topic today has got me Von Trapping “These are a few of my favorite things…” Fortunately for all of you, my singing does not translate to blog. I will, however, be happily and semi-operatically torturing my family for the rest of the day.

What are my favorite elements in a story? Unexpected twists are bliss. I love relatable characters that have unusual (little bit wicked) problems. I’m rapt at chemistry that snaps and sizzles. I’m giddy over terrible odds. And I’m a sucker for the (mostly) happily-ever-after.  If my work-in-progress is going well, delighted, evil cackles can be heard in my office. Yes, they would be coming from me.

Such was the case with Shadow Touch. My heroine, Ellie, has an unusual condition in which her shadow has a mind of its own and moves independently from her body. The shadow is the essence of Ellie’s id (think Freud) and acts only on base instincts, curiosity, and drives. Yes, those drives. Ellie cannot control her; in fact, the shadow is getting stronger. (Unexpected twist? Check. Little bit wicked problem? Check. Relatable? Ever wonder what it would be like to say and do whatever you wanted without holding yourself back? Yeah, I thought so. Check.)

Enter Dr. Cameron Kalamos, charged with helping Ellie and her shadow. He’s hot and smart, therefore the shadow (i.e. Ellie) is interested. Plus, he’s a good guy, who would never take advantage of a girl whose shadow is crawling all over him (even if he wants to real bad). (Chemistry? Check.) And the fact that the shadow’s power is becoming truly, unmanageably dangerous? (Terrible odds. Check.)  Readers will have to take a peek themselves to find out about the (mostly) happily ever after. And look for the continuation of Ellie and Cam’s story this fall. 

You can find Shadow Touch here:




When Laurie and I were preparing for DarkTour, I got to read her Hidden by Blood early (sweet perk). Loved it—hit all my favorite things, too. (Thanks, Erin!)

Download Hidden By Blood here, which is FREE right now:





Friend and follow Laurie and Erin here:




Giveaway package:
1. Bonded by Blood, book 1 in the Sweetblood series
2. Shadow Bound, book 1 in the Shadow series
3. Eat Prey Love by Kerrelyn Sparks
4. Romance trading cards from both series
5. Bookmarks from both series

Rules:
Must be 18 or older to enter.
Open to US/Canada.
Ends July 5th, 2011

One lucky person will win all of this, if you answer this question:

Q: What is your favorite element in paranormal romance and why?


For the schedule and list of Giveaways for The Favorite Things event check out the schedule post.  And make sure you head over to My Bookish Ways to see what she has going on today as well!


39 comments:

  1. Learning all of the different character traits and such! All authors have different twists of the creature's powers and weaknesses making each book unique and interesting.

    robin [at] intensewhisper [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing about paranormal romance is the darkness because it makes the bright light of redemption all the more stark in contrast. It proves that no matter how black the path is that we're on, there's always hope and that candle burning in the window to light our way home never goes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q: What is your favorite element in paranormal romance and why? Magic/Power For a person, a dreamer, who likes her head in the cloud due to the endless negativity in the world the world with the magic and pwoer of the paranormal keeps hope, allows one to keep "what ifs"

    Raonaid @ gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite element in paranormal romance is the paranormal, whether it be vampire, shifters, or magic. I love the supernatural elements and how they are all so different and every author has their own take, it’s fun to read and compare different aspects of paranormals.
    Thanks for the giveaway chance!
    booksavvybabe AT gmail.com
    Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always preferred books with at least a hint of magic in them!

    mk261274 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's just all the fantastical things that wouldn't normally happen or be a factor in a normal romance. There's just so much more depth and conflict for the writer to create and then let the characters figure out for the romance to be successful. Plus all things paranormal in romance is just extra sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura and Erin! This is so cool to chat with you both! So love to see ALL these elements when I read! I especially love the passion of that spark with the characters and that excitement too with the paranormal themes! With that genre, anything goes so I love the surprises and more from the creative world I read! So that makes it the favorite element for me 'the passion of these creatures that so has the spark that I feel it too when I read!'
    Its got me excited for all these to be out! I too love the novellas between books cuz I get to re-visit the settings and even sometimes the previous characters visit! Again so happy your books are continuing Erin! Have you two met each other in person or have plans to at upcoming conferences?

    I'd love to be in the contest!! I'm over (way over) 18 and in US :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite part of paranormal romance is usually the overwhelming awareness the two lead characters have toward each other. That's really the main reason I read them. I like to feel that kind of Insta-Lust is possible.

    christine.dunbar(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading about sexy alpha characters and fiesty heroines. I love it when there are sparks between them both and they have to overcome some crazy obstacles to be together. I also love being able to immerse myself into the world that the author has created. I always find it fascinating to see how the author has created it and her characters. I love seeing how they put their own spin on things.

    iqb99@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like illusions, optical in nature but others as well

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Everyone, I like all those reasons too.

    Caffey, Erin and I met at RT this year. When we realized our e-novellas came out on the exact same day, we started plotting DarkTour! Two definitely is more fun than one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely learning about all the different 'creatures'. I get so fascinated by all of them. Especially the ones that aren't so well known.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the dark sexy characters that fill paranormal romances. I like alpha males and females that can kick serious butt while steaming up the pages.

    miranda.grissomATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post ladies. You guys really hit it on the head. For me, my favorite element of paranormal romance is the world and the creatures. I can't read romance unless it is paranormal and it is just because I know I will get a mixture of great supernatural characters and it will be in a world that is unique and/or fun. I love the darkness of it as well. Great post again guys, thank you :)

    drharleyquinn87 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please enter me in contest. I would love to read these books. They sound very good. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite element in paranormal romance is the paranormal. I love it when the novel is realistic with a few quirks. I love getting to know the "Creature" or type of paranormal the characters represent and the author's take on them. GFC Krystal Larson edysicecreamlover18ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Favorite part is the Creatures that authors come up with and some how make them seem real and loveable.
    I love the different Beings that are coming out in book lately such cool ideas now days every shifter imaginable are coming out love it.not just werewolves anymore in Paranormal and Vampires.and the same old Ghost.
    sasluvbooks(at)yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favorite element in paranormal romance is with the supernatural / dark / sometimes scary action - there can still be found an element of tenderness and love and / or romance. Thank you for this incredibly generous giveaway.

    dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite element of paranormal romances are learning about the abilities that are added/modify/taken away from well-known supernatural creatures. Thanks for the giveaway.
    scarlet_kira(at)live(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dangit, picking favorite things is a challenge. One of the things I will say I enjoy so much is paranormal romances is how each author uses the various supernatural lore. Some authors completely recreate the supernatural beings in questions, others stay true to the (generally accepted/understood) mythology. I enjoy reading each authors personal take on the supernatural world and the way they expand my paranormal horizones.

    rachie203 [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going to go with the hot guys! lol But not just because they're hot, but because they always start out not being able to love or feel for someone else, and then they start feeling it, and it's amazing to see! When it is well written, you can picture it happening, and you are totally drawn into the transformation. Awesome!
    jwitt33 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I guess the paranormal part! I'm more of a UF reader, I like emphasis on the plot and action, not so much the romance. PNR is fun still, but yeah, definitely the PARANORMAL element of the PNR genre!

    jessica[dot]agreatread[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favourite element in paranormal romance is the MAGIC. Specifically, the idea of immortality, that second chances are possible, and loved ones *may* be resurrected.

    cambonified[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Favorite element would have to be the aspect of what you can write about, its endless it can be either vampires, ghosts, lykae or you can either make your own creature.

    lgmorales18@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. The paranormal elements which can be strong, live long and some even mate for life. Can be anything and anyone the authors deems necessary.
    scrtsbpal at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. My favorite element in paranormal romance are all the imaginative worlds.
    marlenebreakfield(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. My favorite part of PNR is the world the author creates. Hidden away from humans and only known to few. I can only see what the characters tell. The setting is always one of my favorite elements whether it be in the city, in a small town, or in a completely different world. You never know where creatures of the dark may lurk.

    Lindadao2060 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. My favorite element of a paranormal romance is the unknown and the danger. Which often times are one in the same. That impossible element that makes the book unsafe, the plot unpredicable and the characters able to surprise and astound you.

    LadyVampire2u AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  29. My favorite part of paranormal romance is the different creatures and beingings in them. They all have different elements about them that makes them stand out. Thanks for the giveaway
    shadow_kohler@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favorite part is a little obscure. I like hearing about how the monsters can be explained away by science. Like in Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series where Lycanthropy is a disease that can be caught like any other. It makes the worlds that much more real to me :)

    hense1kk AT cmich DOT edu

    ReplyDelete
  31. Really enjoyed this post! Both series sound good. My favorite thing about paranormal are the detour from the norm and the idea of other beings existing besides humans.

    pams00 @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the different worlds the authors create and the different creatures.

    ktalley28@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the unexpected. Whether it be that people don't expect me a mother of 2 and general homebody to be hooked on all things paranormal or loving what diferent authors come up with. Every paranormal is different and they always throw something at me that I completely don't expect to see! It keeps them constantly interensting!

    mmafsmith at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like that its different and i love that the romance doesn't over power the story.

    thanks for the giveaway!

    katie_tp(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great giveaway package!

    I like that the authors can basically do whatever they want, write their own rules, so anything can happen.

    meredithfl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  36. My favorite element of PNR is the danger of the bad boy. Generally , PNR heros are "bad" and I love that :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. The unbelievable being real.

    bacchus76 at myself dot com

    ReplyDelete
  38. The magic and different creatures!

    Thank you for the giveaway! :)

    GFC-Christine Davis

    ceeenndee at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love when the supernatural is usually of different types and the heroine/hero have to overcome past prejudices and understandings. Sucker for this type of thing.

    Mare
    tommygirl828 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs