Monday, November 22, 2010

Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund

Details: Hardcover, 400 pgs.
Published: Sept 28, 2010 by HarperTeen
isbn: 0061490024 (ISBN13: 9780061490026)
Series: Killer Unicorns #2
Reading Level: Young Adult
Received from: Borrowed from my awesome friend Lori


Description:
Now a fully trained unicorn hunter, Astrid Llewelyn is learning that she can’t solve all her problems with a bow and arrow. Her boyfriend has left Rome, the Cloisters is in dire financial straits, her best friend’s powers are mysteriously disintegrating, and her hope of becoming a scientist seems to be nothing but an impossible dream.

So when she’s given the opportunity to leave the Cloisters and use her skills as part of a scientific quest to discover the Remedy, Astrid leaps at the chance. Finally, she can have exactly what she wants—or can she? At Gordian headquarters deep in France, Astrid begins to question everything she had believed: her love for Giovanni, her loyalty to the Cloisters, and—most of all—her duty as a hunter. Should Astrid be saving the world from killer unicorns or saving unicorns from the world?


My Thoughts:
This series is so unique, so different, and so intense!  I thought it might end up being a little boring.  I didn't see where she was going to take this one for awhile but once I did and once it took off it was hard to put down!  

I loved that new unicorns were introduced to this one and new aspects to unicorns and unicorn hunting, as well.  The setting was also changed.  Part of it was still at the cloister's but a large portion was on a Chateau in France.  I really thought the new setting made it even better.  And the new characters introduced, and reintroduced made complications arise and new obstacles pop up.  As well as the debate over good and bad.  

I felt like this author wasn't afraid to let things happen to her characters.  I'm not going to give any spoilers away but I'll just say these poor girls sure get beat up!  I guess that's one of the downsides to hunting unicorns.  But knowing that she wasn't afraid kept me on my toes wanting to make sure everyone was going to be okay!

You know those books that really get you good and riled up?  The ones where you get infuriated at the stupidity of people and the rashness of their decisions or their thoughtlessness of others?  Those are the books that really stick with you, right?  Well, this is one of those books.  And it's not the main character, so don't worry.  She didn't annoy me at all!

The romance in this book was very little but what was there was really good.  I had many moments I was glued to the page because I was afraid she'd screw up.  I had figured out some things during the book that came out in the end and it was kind of cool to know that I was right.  

I'm very anxious for the next book and see where the series goes.  The book doesn't end on a totally horrible cliffhanger, but it's definitely got A LOT of issues to clear up.  The next year is going to be long waiting for the next book!

I give this one 4/5 moons!



You can find Diana Peterfreund at her website.
You can purchase the book at your favorite bookstore or through any of my affliliate links to the left on the sidebar, or below through amazon.  All commission will be used to fund contests on this blog.
I received this book on loan from a friend.  The opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way. 

5 comments:

  1. great reveiw, i loved Rampant so i may have to pick this one up if i see it at the bookstore =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, when I first heard about the Killer Unicorn series, I sort of dismissed it -- until I came across Peterfreund's short story in Kiss Me Deadly. It was so great -- so unexpected -- that it converted me wholly. Glad to see the series entertains as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! I love it that the author lets her characters get banged up. It makes it so much more....realistic...even though there are killer unicorns involved lol. I can't wait for the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must read this series! It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Rampant & the short story in Zombies vs. Unicorns, but I haven't picked up Ascendant yet. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it and that it doesn't end on too horrible of a cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs