Friday, March 14, 2014

Starling Blog Tour: Review & Giveaway




I'm excited to host a stop on the Starling blog tour! This is the third book in The Secrets of the Eternal Rose series by Fiona Paul. This tour is hosted by Book Nerd Tours and you can find the tour page here.  I have a review and a giveaway for you all!

Starling (The Secrets of the Eternal  Rose #3) by Fiona Paul
Hardcover, 336 pages
Published: March 20th, 2014 by Philomel
Source: Publisher for Tour


The dark, seductive conclusion to the thrilling Secrets of the Eternal Rose trilogy!
In the final book in the trilogy, Cass and Luca are back in Venice trying to find the Book of the Eternal Rose to clear Luca's name and keep them both out of prison. But the hunters become the hunted when the Order of the Eternal Rose figures out their plan. Filled with twists and turns, danger and torrid romances, this novel brings the Secrets of the Eternal Rose novels to a thrilling, heart-pounding, sexy conclusion.

Like the description says, this really was a heart-pounding conclusion! Once I started reading I really didn't want to put it down. It has constant action and very little time to sit back and read. I liked this though and it kept me reading when other books have lost my interest because of their slower pace.


The streets and canals of Venice in this time period are vibrant and alive. It's easy to imagine the setting itself, but also all the people within it, even those that are just passersby.

Cass has always felt like a strong character to me. While she might be slightly torn in where her heart lies, she knows strongly in her heart what is right and wrong. When she knows people are being killed she knows she will do anything to save them. To bring down this Order even if she has to do it by herself. Her strength shone in Belladonna but it came through very much in this one as well. There was a time or two that I wasn't so sure she knew what she was doing, making some rash decisions, possibly putting trust into the hands of people she maybe shouldn't. But in the end she really came through and I enjoyed her growth in this one.

A large amount of her growth was obvious in the romantic sense. She had to make a decision about who she loves. We may have thought she already decided, but there are things that come into play here that we don't quite know for sure. Fortunately, she does. While I'm not a big fan of a love triangle, this felt like a realistic one. I can't get into it without spoilers, but you have to remember the teenage heart and how easily it is to get swept up into romance. How it all played out left me happy.

I'm sad to see the series end but I'm very happy with this conclusion. I most definitely recommend this series!

4 stars!

Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.


    

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Fiona Paul lives in the Midwest but travels a lot since she can’t breathe if she spends too much time away
from the ocean. She graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with a major in psychology and spent a year teaching English in Seoul, Korea while she was deciding what she wanted to be when she grew up. Answer: everything. In addition to being a teacher and writer, she’s also worked as a saute cook, sporting goods manager, veterinary assistant, and registered nurse. When she’s not working, you can usually find her kayaking, reading, or helping turtles cross the road. Her future goals include diving with great white sharks and writing more books, not necessarily in that order. Venom is her first novel.






Giveaway:

Book Nerd Tours

16 comments:

  1. I love the cover for this book, I'm glad you enjoyed this! I love watching character develop throughout a series, and its great that this series has that as well.

    Lovely review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any series that ends on a good note and like it should is okay in my book. I am glad you were happy with the way it all came together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that the series conclusion was a good one. I think I would definitely would like this one. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this series Candace, if for no other reason than it's set in Venice. I was lucky enough to get to visit Venice through a program in college, and it was absolutely amazing. I hope to go back someday soon!

    Glad this was a solid conclusion to the series. It seems like lately so many final books have been a touch disappointing, so it's always nice to find a series where that's not the case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is another series that is something that I need to read. I have read lots of good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great conclusion and such a beautiful cover

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great conclusion and such a beautiful cover

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cover; I love the font! Reading the last installment in a series is always bitter sweet. Glad to hear that it was a good finale though. Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that cover too...keep debating adding this series to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just adore Venice! It's about three-hour drive from my house so I go at least once every year to spend a day there and just enjoy the city.
    The love triangle here would surely bother me, realistic or not, but I'd forgive almost everything with such an amazing setting.
    Thank you for sharing, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the setting! Oh and I am so glad to hear that the ending is satisfying. Always worries me. Must check out this series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh sounds good! I will have to check out this series!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I have the first two books in this series. I haven't read them. I read a novella and very much liked it which is why I got the books. I'll have to get this one so I can read all three. I hate waiting, lol! Probably why I haven't read it yet. I am so glad you liked the ending!! I remember in the novella feeling like I was in Venice on the canals right there with everyone. The author is good at putting you right there without a lot of fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so excited to read the last in this series. It is a great series, a favorite of mine. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Venice has always been a city I'd love to visit. It's a shame I haven't as it's not that far away. I have heard great things about this series and I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. Great review, Candace :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs