Monday, October 21, 2013

Young Adult Review: SUSY Asylum by Michael Pierce & Giveaway


SUSY Asylum (Lorne Family Legacy #2) by Michael Pierce
ebook, 424 pages
Published: April 25th, 2013
Source: Author

In SUSY Asylum, there is no release. There is no escape. No hope.

Oliver and Desiree are introduced to the writings of a mysterious blogger, Commodore Chaos, when they return to Provex City to indulge in what the sublime city has to offer. The blogger claims the Lornes are collecting people venturing between the higher planes of awareness and locking them away in a mythical asylum. But are these legitimate concerns for inter-plane travelers or just the ramblings of an anonymous conspiracy blogger?

Oliver looks to Provex City as his only connection to his father while Desiree looks to the city as an escape from the torment of losing her best friend—again. Provex City is a wonder of beautiful treasures, entrancing them to continue returning. But behind the beauty, wolves have continued hunting Oliver, a boy who is still unaware of his importance in the rebellion.

Oliver’s belief is waning. Desiree will not always be by his side. Mr. Gordon will not always come to his aid. Oliver finds himself alone, forced to confront his biggest fears, fight his inner demons, and face the very cold reality that no one is coming to save him.

Welcome to SUSY Asylum.

This is a series that really messes with your head.  It's not super complicated, and it almost seems real, like so much of this science fiction stuff could be real.  And I have to chock that up to the authors ability to convince the reader it could happen, because when I'm not reading it and I think about it I realize that I'm kind of dreaming if I think there's this alternate plane (or planes) that we could pass into just by thought and will.  These books have a lot of stuff about the power of our mind as well, and this stuff actually really does seem real.  Not as far as it goes in the books, but I believe that if we could really tap into more of our brain we might possibly be able to move things with our mind, and even heal ourselves and others, etc.  I really love that aspect of this book.  It was definitely more prevalent in the first book though, and this one focuses more on Provex City and the time they spend there.

Oliver is such a normal teenage boy.  I love it!  He seems so much more realistic then so many other teen boys we read about.  He has the normal struggles and weaknesses, but he has this ability to make some things better, he just doesn't so well at tapping into it.  At least not in this book.  He's clearly suffering from doubts and lack of faith in himself.

There is discovery in the book.  One issue is Oliver and Desiree's relationship, or at times lack of it.  It's clear from the first book that he cares for her a lot.  Desiree is a bit wishy washy in this book in the first half, clearly not knowing what she wants, or not sure if she's going to go for it at least.  But we see much more of what happened with TJ, and this makes it easier to understand her behavior.  I still grew frustrated with her, but I suppose she acted like a normal teen girl.  Luckily she shows growth by the end and I expect this will be more thoroughly explored in the next book. 

The first half of the book was slower paced but I felt like we were getting important information and clues, so it was at least somewhat necessary.   The second half is fast paced and terrifying.  I was hardly able to put the book down because I needed to know if everyone would turn out okay.  There were twists and turns and horrifying things happened.  I was cringing more than once.  If I could read with my eyes closed and the covers over my head, I would have.  It's scary, but a different sort of scary.  

I highly recommend this series! Very unique concept that will keep your brain working as you imagine all these amazing, crazy and terrifying things.  I can't wait to continue the series!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.



The tour for this book is currently running. You can find the tour page HERE.
I also featured Mr. Pierce last week and he's giving away a $15 Gift Card.  Here's the tour wide giveaway for you as well.



a Rafflecopter giveaway

30 comments:

  1. Woah I keep seeing this book come up everywhere. Gonna check it out on Goodreads in a minute. I really hate but love those books that get in your brain and make you sit there wondering if such things could be actually real.

    Lovely review, Candace! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly the books that sound the most realistic are the scariest to me. Somehow it seems real and possible and it's really scary. I have heard of this book and I really want to read it now. Great review Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Realistic fantasy and/or sci-fi books are always the creepiest! I'm glad you're enjoying this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this series. I will need to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desiree's wishy-washy-ness would drive me absolutely insane. I get that teens aren't supposed to know everything but indecisiveness just kills me! I'm just not sure about this one, especially with the creep factor. 'Cause I'm a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad this series is still going strong for you Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind a slow beginning too much as long as the story picks up and moves things along at the end. It gives me time to really look at the world and characters in particular before they're off and running and I'm flipping the pages almost faster than I can actually read:) I love books that make me think too, those are always winners. Fabulous review Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! Ehhh, wishy-washy characters get annoying fast to me. I may put up with it if the story captures me more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time I heard of this series! It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, this sounds so creepy and I a sucker for creepy. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear that it's not overly complicated because it kind of sounds like it would be from the synopsis. I love books that can really make you believe (though I think you and I have more of a head start as it is! lol) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm an ending girl so slow at the beginning isn't too bad. It does sound like it is pretty convincing sci-fi and I really like that. I'm curious about what had you scared and cringing. Oh sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i enjoyed Provex city it was a interesting discovery and i wouldn't mind following up the series especially after reading your review

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I have never heard of this series before, but it sounds intriguing! I'm always interested in asylum stories, and if it's keeping your interest two books in, I have to give it a shot. Thanks for the review, Candace!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know I'm reading something really good when I can't stop thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a new to me series, but Candace I think I would really like this, I love that a blogger is involved and the alternate planes. When an author makes you believe I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have seen this book in so many blogs. Its appearance is making curious on what the book is about. I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very different books than my normal. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Candace, I love how you're constantly introducing me to new series!
    I'm very big on sci-books and ones that actually seem realistic are even better.
    Books that mess with your head are definitely the best. And a normal teenage character? Count me in!
    Lovely review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wouldn't pick up this series just based on the covers and synopsis, but after reading your review I'm actually quite intrigued. Plus, I love the name Oliver and he seems like a complex enough character to hold my attention :) Thank you for sharing this, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh! I love a book that makes me think like that. I'm with you, Candace. I think if we could really tap in, it would be amazing what we could do. Our brain has so much unharnessed power!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love books that have your brain going even when you're not reading it, wondering if the world could really turn out the way the author imagines it. I've been wanting to read this series after reading so many positive reviews of book one, and I'm thrilled to hear that you're still enjoying the series on book two. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like something my daughter and I would enjoy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard so many good things about Provex City. I can't wait to read these books!

    Thank you for the giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This certainly does sound different and intriguing. Nice review. You have me curious. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have herd that it is a good book! Thanks for the giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Heard about this book a few places. They are saying it messes with your head! Look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have not heard of these but looks good. Think I will give this one a read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs