Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Confident Reads: Krista Holle & The Wind Whisperer





Hello everyone! Confident Reads is a feature I have here each week once in awhile and is a way to open communication between readers and Indie authors.  This  is to help readers feel confident in the books they spend their money on, and for authors to feel confident in the book they publish.

Today I have author Krista Holle here to promote her newest book, The Wind Whisperer. I have not read it, but it sounds rather intriguing!

When, and how, did you come to being an indie/self published author? 
I first self-published in December 2011 after every literary agent told me there was no audience for selkie
novels.  The Lure of Shapinsay revolved around the Scottish mythology of the selkies—seal men and women who lure mortals to their death beneath the ocean. Though selkies are still obscure mythical creatures, I was delighted at my positive reviews.

Did you attempt to publish traditionally?  What were your experiences? 
There was a time when I queried publishers.  I had a few nibbles from some smaller presses but ultimately it wasn’t to be. The “Big Houses” or large publishers are earned through agents.

If you were offered a deal with a traditional publisher, would you take it? 
Yes, I think I would. More doors are opened for traditionally published authors. There are many bloggers who won’t review or even promote indie authors.  

What is the best part of being indie/self published, for you? 
I love the freedom of choosing every detail of my book. The indie author controls everything from the editing details to the look of their cover. It’s my baby all the way.

The indie/self published scene is constantly changing.  Even quite a few traditionally published authors have ventured into the world of self publishing.  What do you predict for the future?  How do you think the indie scene is changing and where do you think it will go?  
The market is being flooded with indie authors.  This is making traditional publishing less lucrative and more competitive than ever. Every author is waiting for their big break, whether they are traditionally published or self-published.  

As an indie/self published author, what has been your biggest obstacle?  
My biggest obstacle is getting exposure.  I’ve read statistics that claim readers won’t purchase a book until they’ve been exposed to a certain title a minimum of 4 or 5 times.  That means my audience needs to see my cover in five different locations before they feel confident enough to buy.  This requires lots of hard work.

In the world of indie/self published not everyone goes about things the same way.  Many make mistakes (and hopefully learn from them).  What are the biggest mistakes that you think authors are making and how do you suggest they improve?
Some indie authors make the mistake of trying to edit their own books.  After about the third read, the author becomes completely blind to any errors they’ve written into the story.

How do you approach reviewers? And what has worked best when doing so? 
I simply ask nicely for a review and hope the reviewer’s tbr pile isn’t too large. Some reviewers want their post to accompany a giveaway.  I’m always open to that.

When it comes to sales, what do you think has worked the best for you and had the biggest impact? 
I’m still trying to figure this out.  My sales have been surprising steady.  There was a time when I was holding simultaneous giveaways, paying for advertising on multiple web sites, offering free bookmarks.  With all of this gone, my sales are still about the same.  Go figure.

If someone tells you they are thinking of publishing a novel themselves and they would like some advice on where to get started or some tips for success, what advice would you give?  
Self-publishing isn’t right for everybody.  If you don’t have the time to promote your book, there’s really no point.  

We all know covers are important; can you tell us about your cover story?  
Anaii, my fifteen-year-old protagonist is hinting at her relationship with the wind as the leaves flutter around her fingertips.  In the background is Elan,Anaii’s best friend, and Jayttin, the beautiful son of the enemy chief.  It’s the making of a sticky love triangle.

Bad reviews are inevitable; most every author gets at least some.  How do you handle things when you get a bad review so you don’t get hung up on it or possibly lash out which could cause more damage in the long run?  
I never respond to bad reviews.  The perfect book that everyone loves doesn’t exist. Bad reviews sting, but I just shrug and look forward to my next five star review.  
 
It’s your turn!  Ask my readers one question that you are dying to know the answer for.
I’m dying to know what you think of The Wind Whisperer cover.  Do you like love triangles?



At fifteen, Anaii is the most important member of her tribe—and the most mysterious.  Ever since Anaii can remember, the spirits of the wind have whispered of fertile hunting grounds and imminent enemy attacks.  But when her people are ambushed by a brother clan without any apparent cause, the spirits remain eerily silent.
As the village prepares to retaliate, Anaii is pressured by her best friend, Elan, to marry him.  It’s an old plea—Elan has spent a lifetime loving her, but Anaii only sees a childhood playmate out of an imposing warrior.  Stifled by Elan’s insistence, Anaii escapes into the forest where she meets Jayttin, the beautiful son of the enemy chief. 
Enamored by Jayttin’s carefree spirit and hope for peace, she repeatedly sneaks away to be with him, but when her deception is discovered, Elan is devastated.  Pledging his lifelong affection, Elan gives her a passionate kiss, and Anaii begins to see her friend in a new light. 
While Anaii is tormented over which man she must choose, the wind whispers of a new threat that could destroy both tribes.  Only a union will afford a chance at survival, but the reality of that union is based on one thing—which man Anaii chooses to die.


 Author Bio:
Krista Holle is an award winning author who stepped up her writing after reading Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series.  It occurred to Krista that there is an insatiable audience of women and girls who want to read books filled with stories about true love—not just vampires.  When Krista is not writing, she loves to collect seashells, watch movies, and eat obscene amounts of pizza.  Krista currently resides in Montpelier, Virginia with her husband, four daughters and an eccentric cat with a weird attachment to the family’s socks. 





21 comments:

  1. While it's harder to be an indie publisher for sure I like that freedom. I guess everything has it's pros and cons. To answer your question - I love the cover and it's really nice, but I don't enjoy love triangles. Great interview Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this interesting post. I really enjoyed reading about indie authors.

    And the book does sound intriguing.

    Andreea

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, I've never seen this meme before! I think this is great because we don't get to hear much about indie authors apart from the insanely sucessful one. Thanks for putting this book under my radar!

    Thanks for sharing, Candace! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview it is always interesting to hear why an author choose to go indie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marketing is definitely hard when your an indie/self-pubbed author. I'm one of those bloggers who doesn't read indie/self-pubbed authors, mostly because I've been badly burned. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Mary, I definitely think after writing the book itself, marketing would be the most challenging aspect! And I agree on the editing, I work a lot on wedding invitations and read the copy again and again and again, and it never fails to surprise me what I don't see sometimes. I read what it's supposed to say rather than what's actually there, so I'm sure it's the same for authors.

    As for her questions, I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, but I do think they can be done well and add a whole new layer of emotional complexity when they are. I wish Krista all the best with The Wind Whisperer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Sharpinsay and man, that was some unique myth and happenstance there. I saw this latest book of hers but I didn't feel it's something that's for me. Are you going to review it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Braine, at this time I have no plans to read it. My reading schedule is just too full. Maybe one day.

      Delete
  8. What a great interview! Holle seems to really have the perfect mindset for an author. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read a book around selkie. Sounds very interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is fascinating to see how different publishing is now from the way it used to be. I'm glad that some talented authors can make a name for themselves on their own terms.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marketing has to be the biggest pain for any creative industry (except for the marketing dept? LOL). Still, I do think I have a lot of interest in the fact you created a male selkie. So curious about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this feature! To answer her question, I do enjoy love triangles but they have to be well done. I like for both love interests to have an equal opportunity with the heroine. If we know who she will end up with, what's the purpose of the triangle?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so hard for authors these days, both indie and traditionally published. Even the latter have to do a lot of promoting themselves, I think. In fact, I know it.
    But I like that there are people brave enough to take the indie road. It really is admirable.
    Thanks for sharing, Candace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep,so true about trying to edit your own book. If you want to have success you have to put the best product out there and by using an editor and polishing you will. Once you have established yourself it is much easier to sell books, but she is right it is so time consuming to have to work at promoting, just like we have to constantly work to promote our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it would be a lot of work to publish your own novel. I definitely commend authors that do all they can to "sell" their work. :)

    And as for the question at the end, I do like the cover. It's interesting and I like the drawing look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these posts, it's always so fascinating to get an author's perspective on the self-publishing process! Thanks for sharing. And to answer the question, I really love the cover for The Wind Wisperer. And I'm not a huge fan of love triangles these days, unfortunately, but there are always exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agree that cover and professional editing are important before launching book. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea, Candace, and I will openly admit that she had my attention right up until 'love triangle' :)

    Okay, seriously, I've seen some other books that were about selkies, but they never explained what selkies were. I thought it was just a really bizarre book, but I'm glad to know it's actually grounded in some history, and wasn't just a sporadic novelist. I think these kind of things really take awareness out to the readers, so good on both of you for being part of that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! And I'm so glad you're featuring Krista! She is a sweet and awesome writer and I had the pleasure of hosting her on the blog before :)
    It is definitely true that self-published authors have to work harder to break through and get the word out about their books - the whole marketing thing is practically up to them, no one is going to go out there and arrange stuff on their behalf (well, unless they sign up for book tours / blasts or get a PR representative, which is not free obviously). Not to mention that, like Krista said, many bloggers just won't work with Indie/Self-Published authors.

    This is a very informative and interesting post, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Krista, and thanks for hosting, Candace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful interview. I wish I had more time to read review books, but I am absolutely swamped, so it keeps me from taking on too many new ones. Maybe I need to get a guest reviewer....hmmmm..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs