Unbreathable by Hafsah Laziaf
ebook, 379 pages
Expected Publication: October 28, 2013 by Hybrid Fiction
Source: Author
One hundred and fifty years ago, Earth was destroyed, and the remaining humans fled to the dusty red planet of Jutaire, where the only oxygen is manufactured, food is scarce, and death strikes often.
When Lissa's father discovers Earth still exists, she accidentally inhales the toxic air of Jutaire, and in one breath, discovers she isn't quite human.
Her father hangs for his discovery, and Lissa knows the Chancellors will come for her, for she saw the Earth that night too. With nothing to lose, she sets out to expose the truth. It isn't long before she meets Julian, a beautiful boy who can breathe the toxic air like she can - and shows her that the Jute, the original inhabitants of the planet, are more tangled in their lives than she knows.
But the Chancellors are only pawns in a greater game - one where the Jute control everything. Worse, the Jute plan to leave Jutaire for Earth, but to get there, they need her. And they'll stop at nothing until Lissa is in their clutches, even if they kill every human in the process.
The race for Earth has begun.
Unbreathable is a tale of love, redemption, and sacrifice, and one girl's struggle to find her place in a world where she doesn't belong.
Unbreathable flows at a fast and furious pace, things happening quite quickly so you don't get any time to really settle in and relax. For the most part this is a positive thing, I cruised through the book in no time and never felt bored. I could have easily read this one sitting as it was such a fast read.
Lissa, the MC, is a great character. She felt rather young at the start, but as the book goes on and things are revealed to her, she starts to feel older. She has to find her bravery, but she handles things quite well as they are revealed to her bit by bit. She is handed more and responsibility and she handles it with finesse. She may not want it, but she also realizes when she doesn't have a choice and she's the one it needs to go to.
Julian, the love interest, was very sweet. We see he's a bit broken, but it seems that Lissa helps him along a lot. I wouldn't have minded a bit more character development on his end, but this wasn't a huge issue. He was still fantastic and I like him quite a lot. He's a mix of kick butt and a lost and broken boy.
The world is fantastic! I really loved the history (of that which we got anyway) and love the way the world works. I thought it was fascinating, these two different groups of 'people'. The original 'people' (we could call them aliens, but they aren't addressed as such in the book) and the humans who came to the planet from earth. We see things from the human side and see the Jutes as bad, but I was really happy to see some other angles on this as the book continues. I love a book where good and bad isn't always so black and white.
This leads to a few things I liked less. There's a character that's suppose to be treading that line of good and bad. Someone that Lissa seems to care for. Unfortunately I never saw the good in him like she did. Some time spent on his character and developing this aspect of the book would have elevated it for me because I just never connected with this aspect.
I also felt like some of the scenes moved a bit too fast and I wasn't fully comprehending what was happening, or what had happened. While it becomes clear as the book continues it was slightly jarring at times. And one last thing is that I felt like the book was too predictable. There were things that weren't so much so, but in regards to the romance I felt it was so obvious that it almost seemed silly for them to have the 'revelation'. I felt like they had already known this and accepted it, so it was almost confusing for me. There are a few other instances where I felt like things were obvious before the 'revelation' came about.
Regardless of some things I liked less, I still thoroughly enjoyed this book. The writing was very well done, the editing was nearly perfect (I read an ARC so I can assume the one or two errors are corrected in the final) and the plot and characters were very unique. The story wraps up well, but it looks like it's going to be a series and I will be all over it! I would definitely love to see what happens next!
If I were to give half ratings this would be 3.5, but since I don't I think I'll round it up to 4 stars. {I've also been told a few things have changed since I read the book, so some of the issues I had might have been at least partially fixed.}
Disclosure: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
The author is giving away one ebook copy of Unbreathable.
Open worldwide.
Must be 13 or older to enter.
Ends 11/5
Fill out the rafflecopter to enter.






















Great review. I have been quite curious on this book. looks like i may need to check it out. Non stop is good for sure and I must say I am excited to see a nearly perfect ending.
ReplyDeleteVery cool! I love Icey Books and was curious about her first novel. Pacing is such a hard thing to get exactly right but maybe that's fixed in the final version (that's out today, isn't it?).
ReplyDeleteI love the cover of this book and it sounds like something I would really enjoy. Sci-Fi is one of my favorite genres. The main character sounds like she really grows throughout the book, which is something I always appreciate. I also like the sound of the world-building. I'm glad that there's some history. It's such a shame about the romance though.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the honest review, Candace.
The world sounds great to read about even if some scenes went a bit fast
ReplyDeleteYay! So glad you enjoyed this one for the most part Candace! I so love a book where the line between good and bad is blurred, really making me look at things in a new light and try and figure out how I feel about what's happening. It's too bad on the one character you didn't quite find as redeemable as Lissa does, but other than that the quick pace at times, this sounds really great. So excited for Hafsah!
ReplyDeleteI am not sure this is one that I would have picked up on my own but I have heard so many nice things about it that I know I would be tempted to try it even though it seems a little more sci fi than I normally read.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious about the book's premise and I really like when things aren't so clear-cut with good and bad. I'm interested enough to check out the book. Thanks for your honest review, Candace!
ReplyDeleteLike you, I adore complex, interesting worlds, especially when there's some moral ambiguity involved. Nothing like a straightforward, boring world to make my interest disappear in a heartbeat.
ReplyDeleteI'm very interested in reading this, it sounds lovely.
Great review.
Thanks for the review and giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI have heard great things about this book and it seems to me that this one is just for me. I love new worlds which are interesting and I love imagine them which it seems I can do here. I'll have to read this one sooner or later. Great review Candace :)
ReplyDeleteWow! This sounds fab! I also love that since you read the book the same problems you were having was fixed. Interesting! So glad for the giveaway since you now have me curious.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first I've heard of Unbreathable and it sounds fantastic, Candace! I'm getting into more space YA novels and this one sounds really intriguing. Love the cover, too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting a giveaway :)
Your review is similar to others I have read regarding the world-building and scenes moving to fast. I do like the whole space, new civilization though.
ReplyDeleteI seen this one around, interesting review. I can see why you enjoyed the world building. I think the fast paced parts would drive me a little insane too, I seen that happen in a couple of my books before and it was like grr
ReplyDeleteWhat's hybrid fiction?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, this is the kind of story that I'd rather watch on screen than read. I feel my brain is not creative enough to visualize this.
Hybrid fiction is the name of the publishing house (which I assume she created since it's self published).
DeleteSounds that human kinds has to struggle for survival. Quite sad about humanity.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen a hybrid fiction book what exactly is it? I know what you mean about those annoying characters that the MC sees something in them but you as the reader think they are an asshat. I had that experience recently with Rage Within.
ReplyDeleteThat's the publisher. Well, she self published, so the publishing house name she came up with, I assume.
DeleteWhat a cool premise! I read a story with a similar concept, except on earth, and loved it. I'm glad you enjoyed Unbreathable so much, Camdace. I love your enthusiastic review!
ReplyDeleteThis is such an interesting premise!!
ReplyDeleteSounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThe best part of this book is that I think it will really happen! I think that someday this Earth won't be able to be habitable anymore and we'll have to move to some other planet.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway!
Sounds great! Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteThe premise sounds so interesting and I can't wait to read it. Wonderful review.
ReplyDeleteGreat review this book looks and sounds awesome thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear the worldbuilding is strong in this, because I've been dying to read it after seeing the synopsis around, and that would have been a dealbreaker for me. It's a shame the love interest wasn't more developed, but I'm glad you liked him anyway. I can't wait to check this out! Lovely review :-)
ReplyDeleteSuch a stunning cover - I'm looking forward to a great read.
ReplyDeleteBook sounds lovely. I love the review. I can't wait to read it.
ReplyDeleteTerrific review Candace! I often find fast-pace books miss needed character development but I'm happy that Lissa at least is a well-created person. I am all for gray and no one side good and the other bad as well.
ReplyDeleteFor the most part, I really enjoy fast paced and action packed reads, but not when they turn into whirlwinds of incomprehensible scenes and developments. I really don't like to feel lost or confused (at least not when that clearly wasn't what the author intended). The premise sounds interesting, though, and I'm curious about this book, since it's a fellow blogger behind it :) Fantastic review, sweetie! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat review! Thank you for the giveaway! :D
ReplyDeleteThat is a great review makes me want to go and pick up the book right now. Im always a sucker for a little love story but this sounds like it would make a great read. :)
ReplyDeletedream more, think less.
ReplyDeleteGreat review! I love creative world building! Thanks for the giveaway! :D
ReplyDelete