Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands #2) by Sarah Fine
Hardcover, 357 pages
Published: October 29th, 2013 by Skyscape
Source: Publisher
Do not read this description if you haven't read Sanctum yet!
In the week since Lela returned to Rhode Island as Captain of the Guard with Malachi as her second in command, local news has been dominated by chilling sightings of human-like creatures running on all fours. Lela knows there’s only one explanation: the Mazikin have arrived in the land of the living.
Needing to maintain the appearance of a normal life for her foster mother, her probation officer, and her classmates, Lela returns to Warwick High along with Malachi. At night they secretly hunt for the Mazikin nest. To assist, two new Guards from very different parts of the Shadowlands are assigned to Lela’s unit, including the bad boy Jim, who repeatedly challenges Lela's authority. Lela struggles to keep all her Guards on the right side of the law, but their mistakes come at a terrible cost.
As one painful revelation follows another and the Mazikin start targeting those closest to her, Lela finds herself more vulnerable than she’s ever been, wanting a future more than she ever has. With an enemy determined to separate soul from body, one question remains: how much is she willing to sacrifice to protect those she loves?
Sanctum was one of my favorite books last year. It made it on my top ten and pretty much had the best romance I had read in a YA book, like, EVER. It blew my mind and I wanted to scream from the rooftops to people to READ IT! {I encourage you to check out my super rave review.} So I was a bit scared to read Fractured because I had very, very high expectations. In this review I hope I can get my feelings about everything across correctly because I really was kind of all over the place in them.
When a book ends on an EPIC note, when it leaves you feeling just SO much, you automatically have that impression in your head. Which is good, because if it had a sucky ending then you might just give up and now you know you HAVE to know more. Fractured had one of those endings that your jaw drops and then you lay back on your bed and stare at the ceiling for six hours thinking about it. It was that whole mix of awful, wonderful and emotional. I don't want to say too much, but for me it was the emotion that I was finally starting to feel that made me just so, so HAPPY. But yet... devastated. Lela and Malachi's journey is not an easy one and not everything is going to be honky dory. It's just not really possible. If they did then it wouldn't be realistic. At the same time you don't want these bad things to happen to people. Anyway, let's move on.
The ending blew my mind. Unfortunately the rest of the book didn't. Sarah is a brilliant writer; her writing, descriptions and world were great. It was very different from Sanctum as the setting has changed, but they are battling the same evils, just on a different ground. They have the complexity's of real life to deal with and that was good, and bad. My issue was I was very frustrated with the romance in this. I really felt like it took a turn that maybe wasn't necessary and then I spent the entire book kind of angry about that. So while I know that a lot of the stuff going on was great that whole issue was, well... an issue. It didn't ever leave my mind. Which makes sense since it never left Lela's either.
All in all I know this was a great book. There was one thing that wasn't great and that kind of really lowered my love for it. But we still have the amazing characters, and many new ones. We grow to care about some others that we previously may not have cared about at all (or even disliked). We get some new information and the plot has moved forward into EPIC territory once again. Maybe it's a case of middle book syndrome? I don't know... but that ending. Wow.
I'm still a big fan of this series, so don't get me wrong. I'm still screaming from the rooftops to READ SANCTUM, because this series IS worth it. SO worth it! You just have to deal with a little bit of less great stuff for awhile in this. And then, back to EPIC we go!
If I did half ratings this would a 3.5 stars.
Disclosure: I received an advance copy to read from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.





















I liked Sanctum in part because it was so out there, completely different from everything I've come across, which is why I think I'll struggle with Fractured a lot. Unlike Sanctun, it seems to be your average UF/PNR YA, and to be honest, I expected so much more.
ReplyDeleteStill, like you, I'll keep recommending Sanctum to anyone, I just wish i didn't have to add that BUT... at the end.
I still haven't read Sanctum and I really must as you made it sound amazing. I'm sorry that the sequel didn't reach your expectations but glad that you enjoyed it all together. Great review Candace :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm defintely going to be starting this series soon. The positive reviews are suffocating me!
ReplyDeleteFab review, Candace! <33
I still have to read Sanctum. Too bad this didn't blow you away, but I'm glad that you did still enjoy it. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's terrible but I'm not drawn to the book because of the cover! It's too much -- too busy, too dark, just meh. But I need to get over it and read this series!
ReplyDeleteI hear on the romance front, I was a little disappointed as well but I truly think there was a reason for it all and part of that was because the characters both needed to grow and this was the best way for them to do, separately and together. At least, that is what I am telling myself.
ReplyDeleteThat ending was KILLER and I can't wait for the next book.
Holy crap this sounds amazing - and Sanctum is going on my TBR list for sure. The best YA romance EVER? Yes please! I also LOVE Thos types of endings. They're emotional and sometimes even cruel or piss me off but they're THE most memorable, hands down. Great review, Candace! I think you had really high expectations for this one and even though it wasn't mind blowing it still didn't disappoint which is awesome!
ReplyDeleteI have been seeing this book around lately. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAck! You've just reminded me that I want to read Sanctum! How did that slip by me?? I will definitely try to make it, and Fracture a priority.
ReplyDeleteI love this review, Candace!
I'm not sure how I've missed this series but based on your reviews I'm adding both to my TBR soon list right now.
ReplyDeleteGreat review(s) Candace!
Sounds emotional and I need to get around to reading Sanctum
ReplyDeleteThis does still sound good despite the comparative weakness of this book. Seems like second books or final books of a series are a bit weaker. I don't mind that as long as it still is good, but it sounds like it has huge potential to go back to amazing. Make this one worth it. Brilly review!
ReplyDeleteI have Sanctum and am still excited to read it, but bummer on book two, but it seems like you still enjoyed it, and sometimes no matter how good a second book is it will never top the first. Lovely review :)
ReplyDeleteI know the faltering romance was hard, but yet I got it and I know they will come back together, it is just some growing pains. I was astounded at the ending as well. Still love this series!
ReplyDeleteYou know, I'm beginning to think I should put off reading Fractured because the romance seems to have really affected your opinion and I think it would be the same for me as well.
ReplyDeleteI'm still glad to hear that the world-building and the characterizations were well-done. I think I'm still going to get the book when it comes out this week because I adore it completely but I will lower my expectations when it comes to the romance.
I'm very excited about this mind-blowing ending!
Great review, Candace! :)
I've started reading this a while back and set it aside after merely a couple of chapters. I'm having a hard time picturing them in the "real" world so I wasn't enjoying it as much. I don't know about that ending. I might have to postpone reading this.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, Candace!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! I haven't read Sanctum but this series sounds really great! It's good to know that even though you didn't totally fall in love with this installment, you'd still recommend it.
ReplyDeleteAww!!! I was waiting for your review to go up so I could see what you thought! :/
ReplyDeleteI must admit, I was disappointed with the romance too. But I just looked at it differently. I feel like they... NEEDED these things to happen, ya know? (trying to be vague to I don't spoil anything) I do think it was a lot different seeing the fight outside of the dark city. But I still loved this book.
And yes, the ending. *screams into pillow*
Sucks you didn't enjoy this as Sanctum (or as much as I did) great review though :D
Sanctum was one of my favorites last year, so the mixed reviews on this one are breaking my heart. I get it though--moving a series to a new setting changes SO MUCH tonally, and taht can be hard to get past. Especially when the setting of book one was so perfect.
ReplyDeleteKate @ The Midnight Garden
I completely agree Candace! I loved everything about Sanctum and I liked Fractured but the romance really let it down for me, it is one of the elements in the first book I was really drawn to so its a shame. The ending was amazing!!
ReplyDeleteA lovely review. :-)
Eee! Posting my review soon so I'm not reading yours just yet, but I'm pleased to see your 4 stars. :)
ReplyDeleteWendy @ The Midnight Garden
Great review. Sounds like an issue most second books have. Its hard to follow up on the first when the first was over the awesome mark. Glad to hear it was still good. Should be starting this book soon. Hope I love it too.
ReplyDelete