Today I'm excited to welcome author Nikki Jefford to the blog for Something Wicked Returns. She's put together an awesome guest post and a fantastic giveaway!
Nikki is the author of the Spellbound trilogy which I loved, and the Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter series, which I am reviewing at the bottom of this post.
Nikki is the author of the Spellbound trilogy which I loved, and the Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter series, which I am reviewing at the bottom of this post.
Be sure to stop by the other Something Wicked Returns posts as well!
Tressa@Tressa's Wishful Endings: C.J. Hill: Slayers
Maja@The Nocturnal Library: Veronica Rossi
Tressa@Tressa's Wishful Endings: C.J. Hill: Slayers
Maja@The Nocturnal Library: Veronica Rossi
The Chewing Dead
You know what they say – stereotypes exist for a reason and it’s no different for vampires. Biting, bloodsucking, anti-aging, and murderous tendencies. Vamps have a rep for a reason.
LEGEND HAS IT
While coming up with the Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter series, I wanted to stay true to certain stereotypes while putting an entirely new spin on what it means to be undead. One of the biggest differences is that only people with AB negative or positive, the rarest blood types in the world, could become a member of the undead.
The second trigger is disease.
One of my biggest sources of inspiration while outlining the series (after Buffy, of course) was Mark Jenkins book Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend.
The second trigger is disease.
One of my biggest sources of inspiration while outlining the series (after Buffy, of course) was Mark Jenkins book Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend.
Poll: What Blood Type Are You?
O
A
B
AB
SYMPTOMS OF VAMPIRISM
Curiously, most vampire folklore originates during times of plagues and other outbreaks throughout history.
In 16th and 17th century Italy the legend of the “chewing dead” was taken so seriously that bricks were rammed inside the mouths of suspected plague-causing vampires before their burial as a means of stopping the creatures from rising from their graves claiming more victims.
One of the most frequently cited medical causes of vampirism is rabies. Spanish neurologist Dr. Juan Gomez-Alonso made a connection between reports of rabies outbreaks running rampant in Hungary from 1721 – 1728 and reports of “vampire epidemics” that followed shortly after. He found that nearly 25 percent of rabid men had a tendency to bite other people.
Other genetic disorders further fueled the legend. Porphyria, for example, usually lies dormant in the bloodstream, but once awakened causes hyposensitivity to sunlight – so much so that it can destroy a person’s nose, fingers, and gum tissues – making teeth appear more prominent (ie: fanglike).
Tuberculosis, yet another disease associated with vampirism in the past, caused languid periods of lethargy in those it afflicted followed by a surge in energy, appetite, and sexual ardor.
Folklorist Michael Bell once said, “What better food for the imagination than a creature that incorporates sex, blood, violence, shapeshifting, superhuman power, and eternal life?”
About the Author:
Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter Vol. 1 by Nikki Jefford
ebook, 543 pages
Published March 5th, 2013 by Nikki Jefford
Source: Purchased (ages ago!)
If there is one thing eighteen-year-old Aurora Sky wants, it’s to get off the iceberg she calls home. Being kissed before she graduates wouldn't hurt either.
Then a near-fatal car wreck changes everything. Government agents step in and save Aurora’s life in exchange for her services as a vampire hunter. In Alaska. Basically she’s a glorified chew toy. All thanks to her rare blood type, which sends a vampire into temporary paralysis right before she has to finish the job… by hand.
Now Aurora’s only friends are groupies of the undead and the only boy she can think about may very well be a vampire. And if he’s a vampire, will she be forced to kill him?
***Upper Teen/New Adult series with mild language, violence, sexual situations, and blood sucking.***
I have grown to really like Nikki Jeffords writing style. I'll admit that it took me awhile to warm up to it (not with this book but the first book of hers I had read). Now that I'm familiar with it I have found I really like it a lot. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's easier reading than many and more matter of fact, not all crazy drama and angst. Not that the characters don't act appropriately, but they don't spend all this time dwelling in this major life change. In Aurora Sky's case it's becoming a vampire hunter after nearly dying in a car accident. She has to come to terms with vampires existing, but she also is suppose to hunt them. Yeah, a bit of a shock! And she goes a bit nuts, but it doesn't go on for so long we grow exasperated with her.
I really love the twist to the whole vampire thing. It's easy to understand but it's the vampire hunter aspect that's really unique and cool and I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. I like that there's gray areas when it comes to vampires, some are horrible but some aren't so bad.
Aurora actually took me awhile to warm up to and I think it's because we barely meet her when she has this major life changing event and totally changes. She becomes a different person, rebelling and sort of working toward finding herself. She doesn't act the best during this transition, but I see that's it's bringing her to the person she needs to be. It's a journey, all of us go through it in one way or another in our life, and major life changing events can certainly trigger it. By the middle of the book or so I definitely was liking her and really warmed up to her personality.
The romance was actually pretty sweet. I have a tendency to really like the bad boys that are really soft hearted underneath all that leather and whatnot. Fane was a character that I really loved, especially once I got to know him better. I am really hoping that we get to see a lot more of him in the future as I think he's my favorite part of the book.
This was a very fast read, I think my kindle said it took me two hours to read the entire thing. It would have been easy to sit and devour in one sitting, unfortunately I have too many interruptions to pull that off, but it still didn't take long. I like having a nice easy read that still delivers a great story and this certainly did that.
I label this YA, but it's definitely mature YA only. She's 18 but still in high school so we have the high school setting still. However, there's mature content in the book. Not too bad, but it's there.
This is the first that people are seeing the just redone cover of the book! Here's the full version. Isn't it great?!
Nikki Jefford is being very generous and giving away a paperback copy of Vampire Forensics (since she talked about it) blood bath cherry shower gel, and an Aurora Sky paperback (old cover).
Open to US addresses only.
Must be 13 or older to enter.
Ends October 31st.
Fill out the rafflecopter to enter.

























Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI will an interesting post and the book you reviewed sounds great too.
I am happy you enjoyed it.
Andreea
Oh this is really interesting. I didn't know that by some legends only certain blood type can become vampire. Interesting. I haven't heard of this book either but it sounds really good. I haven't read a vampire book in a while so I should try. Great post Candace :)
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, what a fantastic guest post, Nikki and Candace! :) I love the spin on vampire lore, I am all about scientific (to a certain extent) explanation and I love when stories have solid worldbuilding with rules and informations that make them seem more legit. I think the blood type thingy, along with the disease factor, makes it that much more interesting! Love it!
ReplyDeleteSecond, Candace your reviews always make me so excited for books I haven't even heard about before, I blame you for my ever growing TBR pile, lady! Vampire Hunter sounds great, love the cover and the premise, can't wait to read it! :) Thanks for sharing!
I love all the legends! I wonder how many there are for vampires, I have never looked but I love that she made the legends her own in her series!
ReplyDeleteWow. They shoved bricks in people's mouths before burial? Wouldn't it be fascinating to be alive in a couple hundred years to see what superstitions and things we have now that people just shake their heads at?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that despite a bit of a rocky start with Aurora you were able to warm to her after a while, and who doesn't love a bad boy who's actually a good boy underneath it all?! Definitely love the sound of that romance:) Fabulous review Candace!
Loving the cover! Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear there are still new ideas and twists to the vampire genre
ReplyDeleteExcellent guest post, and this book sounds quite good..you are not alone Candace I love bad boys who are all tough on the outside and gooey on the inside! Lovely review, thanks for the chance to win this :)
ReplyDeleteI really like the sound of this world's folklore. The book sounds good too. I don't mind taking time warming to a character as long as I do and I like the sound of the romance. Sounds like a winner!
ReplyDeleteI"m always intrigued with how superstitions and beliefs evolved and came to be. I can (sort of) see how, if a guy with rabies was running around biting people, you might thing there's something superstitious about it, especially since there was no real CSI back then!
ReplyDeleteThe guest post is very interesting. It's always fun to read how authors come up with their ideas :)
ReplyDeleteAurora seems strong and resourceful. Thanks for sharing!
I cannot believe she changed the cover. I loved the other cover. nooooooo. O.O But I liked the book as well. (: I loved the dog. And that's not weird.
ReplyDeleteok, for emphasis. this cover is awesome, too. lol. :P
DeleteWhat a fun guest post and I enjoyed the review. This sounds like a great read.
ReplyDeleteWow what a fascinating guest post! I love hearing how we've thought of vampirism throughout history. This sounds like a cool story, and it sounds like I'm going to love Fane. I'm also a sucker for bad boys with a soft side. :-) Great review!
ReplyDelete