Sunday, October 13, 2013

Something Wicked Returns Challenge: Tell Us Your Own Ghost Story!


Welcome to my week of Something Wicked Returns!  We're going to kick off the week with a challenge and will continue with a fantastic week of posts!  To find all the previous posts for Something Wicked Returns check out the page.

Tomorrow we have:
April Tucholke for Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
and
Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings:Ann Aguirre: Horde
For today's challenge I wanted it to be ghost related.  I love stories with ghosts, though I'm not always so fond of the scary ones.  I have several ghost stories of my own but most of them aren't actually scary.  I have one that is rather scary though and I've decided to share it with you. 
I want you to share a ghost story with me.  It doesn't have to be long like mine, but a paragraph or more would work.  It can be a true story or one you heard from someone else if you don't have a personal experience to share.  If you don't believe in ghosts, that's fine but please don't do any bashing of those of us that do believe in them.  If you leave a ghost story for me in the comments you will be entered to win a $10 Amazon Gift Card or a book from The Book Depository ($10 or less).  This is open worldwide, you must be 13 or older to enter and the challenge runs through the end of the month.   (Note: If your 'story' is just a sentence of 'I once saw a ghost at a cemetery.' it will not count, please amp it up a bit more than that!)


My story (please note that I'm not a professional, and this is likely riddled with errors):
I was walking the long lonely 5 miles to town in the pitch dark of night when Adam pulled over to the side of the road and urged me to get into his ancient Ford Taurus.  He was also on his way to this supposed ‘party’ we were attending. I was the only one in the car other than Adam, which I found strange but he filled me in quickly, assuring me that everyone was waiting at the park.  They were occupied with 'preparing' for the party so he'd decided to drive out to find me.  I thanked him and let him know that if he hadn't shown up I likely wouldn't have made it all the way.  5 miles in the middle of the night, in the middle of farmland, is just too far, and too freaky.  But what he said next had me thinking I would have been better off snug in my bed.

"We're heading to the old ranch at the top of Skyline, you ever been there?" he asked me.

I hadn't heard of it before and just shook my head.

"There's an old barn and we party up in the hayloft, it's huge and has plenty of space and there isn't anyone around to hear anything.  There's also plenty of parking for everyone.  But if you scare easy you might want to stick close by me." he winked before continuing "They say a family was killed there, but I think it's just a story they tell to make it more appealing so more people show up."

This wasn't sounding so good to me.  I had some inkling; well more than an inkling; that I was rather sensitive to ghostly experiences, but there was no way I was going to let him see that so I just shrugged.  I didn't really know Adam well, so this whole thing was feeling rather awkward to me.  Luckily we arrived at the park and everyone else piled into the car.  I squeezed into the middle of the front so I was between Adam and Lee, a good friend I had been planning to meet up with.

We arrived at a gate fairly quickly. The grass was tall and it looked like no one had been through yet.  Adam verified that when returning to the car after opening the gate.

"Looks like we're the first to arrive, that's good, I can show you the house before we head up to the barn.  It's pretty freaky cause it's still full of stuff like the people just disappeared into thin air.  It's all falling apart and stuff but it's pretty cool.  I want to get your opinion on whether you think it's haunted."

Why would he want my opinion?  "Why would I know whether it's haunted?" I asked him. "I don't speak to ghosts, or whatever." That wasn't too obvious was it? Crap, now I worried that I was too defensive and gave it away.  I knew sensed ghosts, but it's not something people accepted.

"Well, I just thought you might feel something.  People say since I'm Native I should know, but honestly I just get creeped the freak out. Good thing I'm into that sort of thing." he said as he pulled up the house.

It was an old farmhouse.  It was really dark and I could hardly even see it, luckily everyone had already pulled out flashlights.  I didn't have a flashlight, hey- no one had told me about this excursion.  Lee had already run off with his sister and some of her friends so I was stuck back with Adam.  I wasn't going anywhere without someone with flashlight so I guess I was stuck.

"Hey, it's alright, you can hang by me." he said as he turned on his flashlight and grabbed my arm.  At this point I wasn't caring about what I felt like were advances on me, but more concerned about someone just staying with me.  If he ditched me, I would be pissed.

I could hear the others laughing in the house and all I felt was a heavy knot of dread in my stomach.  I had a very bad feeling about this place.  I didn't know whether it was the darkness, the creepiness or some real spirits that were causing this feeling, but I didn't like it.  We mounted the steps and entered the house.  I immediately felt dizzy and a heaviness in my feet.  I didn't want to be made fun of, so I didn't let on, but when Adams flashlight hit the wall and I saw blood, stifling a scream wasn't possible.  It was a short scream because the frozen terror hit me next.

"Hey, hey, hey, it's okay, see it's just paint, someone spray painted the wall.  See here?" Adam shined the flashlight at the wall.  What he didn't know was that it was the other wall I had seen the blood on, but now as he shone his light around it was gone.  I told myself it was my imagination but I knew in my gut it wasn't. Suddenly visions ran through my head, people running and screaming, blood everywhere.  I closed my eyes and braced my feet.

"Adam, can we get out of here?"

As he turned toward me I caught a look on his on face. It puzzled me as I tried to decipher it.  I felt like he knew something; he knew I saw or felt something more, but he wasn't saying anything.

"Are you sure you don't want to see upstairs first?" he asked as he wrapped an arm around me. His dark good looks weren't having an impact on me.  Seriously, I had other things on my mind.

"No, can we just go sit in the car or something? We could talk while those idiots do whatever they're doing." I turned toward the door and Adam came along with me, arm still tight around my waist.  Still felt odd, but for some reason I wasn't minding it so much anymore.  I guess I just needed comforting.

"Can I show you the barn first?  I have a feeling you'll like it.  It's huge and I heard you have a thing for barns."

"Well, I normally like barns in the daylight so I can draw or read or hang out with the animals.  There are no animals in this one and I can't read or draw in the dark."

"Just trust me" he told me.

After hollering to the others we exited the house the way we came.  We hadn't made it past the front room.  The moment we left the house the fist in my gut left and lightness returned to my feet.  I hadn't realized how heavy they had been after that initial shock, but the entire time I was in the house it had been ridiculously hard to just lift my feet.

The barn wasn't far and we got to it pretty quickly.  I wasn't so worried about the barn, it's just a place where animals live, and the chances of it being haunted were slim.  Right?  I told myself it would be fine.  After struggling a bit Adam finally slid the door open but it wasn't until entering that I felt it.  It was different from in the house, but it was still a heaviness that weighed me down.  I also heard whispers all around me but when Adam shone the light around all I saw was an old barn.  Adam was watching my face closely so I tried to hide my fear.  I had a feeling he knew what was going on inside me though.  He led me toward some old stairs and said that the upstairs was the interesting part.  As I took a step up my entire body shuddered.  An intense fear shook my body as something screamed "IN THE STEPS" I didn't know what screamed, it was in my head, it was in my entire body. "IN THE STAIRS" it came again as my legs gave out and I began to fall.  Adam was quick; he caught me and held me tightly.

"It's okay; tell me, what is it? Did you see something?"

I tried to speak, but the fear was so strong that no words came.  I was sitting on the stair now and I felt this intense NEED, this desperation to open the step.  That made no sense.  Why would I need to open the stair?  But then an image came of bones under the stairs.

The steps were pretty broken and cracked and as I desperately tore at them Adam caught on and began to help.  Suddenly a board came loose and inside was... bones.  Piles and piles of bones.

"They're just animals, right?" Adam said, fear evident in his eyes.

I shook my head no.  I had no doubt these were human bones.  I just knew.  Just how I knew they were there.  Something, someone had told me.  And now that I had unveiled them the pressure inside me began to retreat but I still felt this sense of urgency, so I began to peel back another board, only to reveal more bones.  It was the next stair that revealed a row, an entire row of human skulls.  One, two, three, four and five.  Five.  Five human skulls.

Moments later we were back in Adams car.  My body shook as I bawled.  Somehow I knew things that I didn't want to know.  I had seen things I didn't want to see.  I knew far more than anyone else could imagine and I couldn't even tell them.  I couldn't tell anyone.

Adam was an adult so he agreed that the next day he would report it to the Sheriffs office.  I didn't have to be involved in any way.  No one had to know I was there.  After swearing everyone to secrecy Adam drove me home where I spent many restless nights lying in bed thinking about those people and wondering why?

Although investigated by the Sheriffs office, the discovery was never reported on any news network and Adam was never notified about anything.  He told them he found bones, they went out and retrieved them and that was that.  To this day we don't know who those people were, why they were killed, who killed them, or even when they were killed.  The hush-hush of the whole thing has really brought out the curiosity in me but the memory of what I experienced has kept me from digging any deeper.  I still see those images, clear as the night I saw them the first time.  At least I know in my heart that they found their peace, at least some semblance of it, after being found. 

This story was written by Candace Robinson and is not to be copied in any shape or form without express permission. 

Now, share your ghost story with us!

21 comments:

  1. Ooh all the creepiness! I love it :D And goodluck to all those who enter the competition

    Fantastic ghost story, Candace! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one great ghost story, Candace! I'm a coward so I tend to avoid these things, but I do have one to share, and it's as real sa they get, although open to interpretation, I guess.

    A few years ago, I lost someone very close to me. A few months have passed, the worst period was almost over, but I was still fighting sadness every single day. One day, I was sitting at my work table, writing an article, when I felt that person behind my back. I somehow unmistakeably knew he walked right behind me.
    Then, of course, as these things go, I thought myself silly and stopped thinking about it. But later that day, just as that person's favorite song was playing on the radio, it started snowing outside. In April! Now, I live by the sea where it simply does not snow, ever, and especially not in April.
    Coincidence? I think not, but I'll let you come to your own conclusion. :)

    Thanks for sharing the challenge, my friend, and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great story Candace!!! I have got goosebumps from reading it, really it gave me chills. I cannot wait to read other stories. I like Maja's as well :)) Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creepy scary ghost story, Candace. Great Halloween month read. But now I'll be wondering who those people too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Candace, how creepy!!

    I don't have any stories thankfully but what a fun challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scary! :)

    No ghost stories for me happily. I am a scary cat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story, Candace! Ghost stories are my favorite, even though they scare me so much! My dad - who is a very down-to-earth, serious person - always told me about the day he came home from his father's funeral. He was still pretty young, I think close to his 18th birthday, and he says when he entered the kitchen he saw the chair move away from the table by itself, and then move back to the table, as if someone sat down at the table and pulled closer to it. He always gets goosebumps when sharing this story, and I can see he is not joking. So scary! I believe in ghosts myself so stories like that always freak me out :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Candace, how could anyone top your story?? That is some scary stuff! Do you ever get a decent's night sleep even now?? I do not want that ability. No thank you!

    I kind of have a ghost story, but it isn't mine. I had a roommate in college, actually we lived together from my second year through grad school. Her family was different and she was a spiritual person. She just kind of accepted things. Her family lived in Ohio for awhile, their house was out in the farm lands on the Oregon Trail. She said while they slept they'd hear a boy running down the dirt road yelling for his daddy and they could hear the wagon wheels of the old wagons going down the dirt road. They always heard footsteps going up and down the stairs, but never saw anything, not even a shadow. And she said when they would dig in the crawl space under the house they'd find arrow heads, but that sometimes when you reached under it was almost like your hand disappeared, like it went somewhere else and when there had just been dirt before, they'd pull out some kind of relic from the past. She never was scared because none of her sisters or brother were. I always hoped she didn't draw that kind of attention to us since we always roomed together in dorm rooms and apartments!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally creepy! Well done! When bones start coming out of walls, I get the heck out of Dodge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe that ghosts do exist and that they are simply "living" in a different dimension. My brother's friend has what we call the 3rd eye and he sees ghosts, 24/7. He said that they are all around us, even the headless ones, so yes they are all out there!

    A couple of years ago, I was up very early and just as I headed down the stairs I saw this lady sitting on the sofa in our living room. As soon as she saw me she said "I'm in deep pain, can you help me?" Needless to say I pretended not to see nor hear her and "vanished" just as quickly back to my room! I told my husband about it much later and he said I should have asked the ghost for further details, the nerve!!!

    A few other different sightings occurred after that incident. so until next time "May the chills be with you"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tale is creepy and horrifying. Mine isn't quite as scary but it has made a believer out of me that there are other "things" out there.
    When we were kids we lived down a lane from and old rundown house. We had to meet the school bus at this house because it couldn't make it down our narrow and bumpy lane. We would explore the old place while we waited for the bus. Nothing scary ever happened, at least in the light of day. The kids at school told us that the house was haunted. Now being new to the area and moving from the city and being transplanted to the sticks we were a bit skeptical.
    Our parents hosted a bond fire one night. Us kids were playing games and just running around in the cornfield. We all ended up at the end of the lane near the old house. In one of the downstairs windows...mind you all the windows had been busted out for many years...we spied a transparent little elderly lady with long flowing silvery hair. She was wearing a glowing white long nightgown and rocking in a rocking chair. She just sat there rocking back and forth not taking any notice to any of us. "Granny Spectral" made believers out of all of us who witnessed her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool story! You should continue it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool. To me anyway. I have a hard time saying I completely believe. Yeah, I think there are entities and people like you have had experiences, but I take what people say with a grain of salt. There are so many factors that could explain their experience, and since I don't know first-hand how those factors were dealt with, it's hard for me to just 100% believe. I've had interesting things happen, but still, I'm reluctant to contribute to something paranormal. I'll tell you about one time though.

    I used to keep my horses at a place next to a river that had an island. My friend and I were out riding in the dried river by it around dusk and suddenly the horses got really weird. Not just skittish, but seriously flaring nostrils and high alert, like there was major danger. Which was so odd for my mare, because she never shied away from anything, not even dead animals. Then we saw a black figure in the trees on the island and I thought it was probably some douche screwing around. But again, the horses shouldn't have been reacting like that just for a person. So my friend stayed in that spot while I took my mare around to the other side, and the whole time she's focused on that spot with nostrils flaring and refused to get any closer - she never refused me before or after that. On the other side there was a dead dear, which my horse paid no mind to, but still focused on the island. When I got back to my friend we could see movement, but could see any characteristics. I was excited and pissed at the same time, so I got off, gave my reins to my friend and started walking closer to the island. When I got right up on the edge, the figure ... ran/zoomed/ ... I don't know what to call it through the trees and shrubs. I ran to the side of the island but didn't see anyone come out. The horses calmed down then and acted like nothing. It was weird. My friend and I bring it up every now and then and laugh about it's creepiness. She claims I muttered "F--king fairies" when I got back to her but don't remember that. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. nice..for more such stories please visit http://realghoststories.in/

      Delete
  16. Wow, this story just gave me chills! I really wish it wasn't night here, I should know better by now than to read a spooky story right before bedtime. Very intense and spooky, thanks so much for sharing this! :-) Now I'm going off to bed to have nightmares......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here are some stories written by a friend of mine. The stories are from India. I you enjoy ghost stories you will definitely like them.

    http://www.amazon.com/After-Dark-Ghost-Stories-India-ebook/dp/B00DYA0H7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383062360&sr=8-1&keywords=after+dark+ghost+stories+from+india

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice..for more such stories please visit http://realghoststories.in/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs