I'm excited to host a stop on the Second Verse blog tour, hosted by Book Nerd Tours. To find the other stops on the tour and any additional information go to the post found HERE.
Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup
Hardcover, 288 pages
Published: October 1st, 2013 by Luminis Books
Source: Author/Publisher
Bad things come in threes. In Shady Springs, that includes murder.
Murder Now
Lange Crawford’s move to Shady Springs, Pennsylvania, lands her a group of awesome friends, a major crush on songwriter Vaughn, and life in a haunted, 200-year-old farmhouse. It also brings The Hunt: an infamous murder mystery festival where students solve a fake, gruesome murder scheme during the week of Halloween. Well, supposedly fake.
Murder Then
Weeks before The Hunt, Lange and her friends hold a séance in the farmhouse’s eerie barn. When a voice rushes through, whispering haunting words that only she and Vaughn can hear, Lange realizes it's begging for help. The mysterious voice leads Lange and Vaughn to uncover letters and photos left behind by a murdered girl, Ginny, and they become obsessed with her story and the horrifying threats that led to her murder.
Murder Yet to Come
But someone doesn’t like their snooping, and Lange and Vaughn begin receiving the same threats that Ginny once did. The mysterious words from the barn become crucial to figuring out Ginny's past and their own, and how closely the two are connected. They must work fast to uncover the truth or risk finding out if history really does repeat itself.
I scare ridiculously easy and so I was a tad afraid going into this one. But I really love ghost stories and for that reason I couldn't resist. While I'm really glad I read this (really glad!) it was really scary. I did read some of it at night and that was simply because I HAD to know what happened. Even though it was terrifying, I just couldn't set the book aside. I know those that read a lot of horror may not get as scared as I did, but those of you that are chickens like me, be aware, this book is pretty scary!
I really liked Lange a lot. She's a new girl but she's already made friends and seems to fit in well. Everything seems to change after she has a seance in her barn and hears some words spoken by what we would assume is a ghost. It's only Vaughn who hears those words with her though and that kind of drives them together and the others away (though there's much more to that aspect). Through the book Lange and Vaughn work together to piece the puzzle of the murder of Ginny and her entire family, together. But someone is stalking Lange and Vaughn and they are very, very creepy. And while Lange is clearly terrified, I have to say that girl is very brave. I'm pretty sure my reaction would be to jump in a car and drive far far away and never look back. I don't think I could have stayed in that house one more night. But even though she's scared she continues with real life and getting through each day. She's always been attracted to Vaughn, but through the book the attraction becomes more. These two are adorable together, but unfortunately their time together is rather intense because they are trying to figure out what happened in the past, and what is happening to them, now.
This book has a lot of twists. While there were a few milder things that were fairly easy to figure out, the big picture mystery totally blew me away! I did not suspect any of it! It was such a shocker that I'm pretty certain my jaw actually hit the floor. And after that it felt like surprise after surprise. It was amazing to have such great twists that I never saw coming and totally elevated my thoughts of the book big time! I liked it before, but that made me like it even more!
This is a mystery/thriller/romance/horror. All those things are in this book and it's the perfect read for October. You can freak yourself out as you hide in your closet. ;) But I do recommend this one, very much. And while it has a conclusion, everything is wrapped up, there is room for a sequel and I very much hope that that happens!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
I really liked Lange a lot. She's a new girl but she's already made friends and seems to fit in well. Everything seems to change after she has a seance in her barn and hears some words spoken by what we would assume is a ghost. It's only Vaughn who hears those words with her though and that kind of drives them together and the others away (though there's much more to that aspect). Through the book Lange and Vaughn work together to piece the puzzle of the murder of Ginny and her entire family, together. But someone is stalking Lange and Vaughn and they are very, very creepy. And while Lange is clearly terrified, I have to say that girl is very brave. I'm pretty sure my reaction would be to jump in a car and drive far far away and never look back. I don't think I could have stayed in that house one more night. But even though she's scared she continues with real life and getting through each day. She's always been attracted to Vaughn, but through the book the attraction becomes more. These two are adorable together, but unfortunately their time together is rather intense because they are trying to figure out what happened in the past, and what is happening to them, now.
This book has a lot of twists. While there were a few milder things that were fairly easy to figure out, the big picture mystery totally blew me away! I did not suspect any of it! It was such a shocker that I'm pretty certain my jaw actually hit the floor. And after that it felt like surprise after surprise. It was amazing to have such great twists that I never saw coming and totally elevated my thoughts of the book big time! I liked it before, but that made me like it even more!
This is a mystery/thriller/romance/horror. All those things are in this book and it's the perfect read for October. You can freak yourself out as you hide in your closet. ;) But I do recommend this one, very much. And while it has a conclusion, everything is wrapped up, there is room for a sequel and I very much hope that that happens!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
About the Author
When Jennifer Walkup isn’t writing or reading, she’s spending time with her husband
and young sons, listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers, and coming up with costume ideas for Halloween. She’s obsessed with good coffee and new recipes and likes broccoli on her pizza, flowers in her hair, flip-flops on her feet, and the number 13. A member of SCBWI and RWA, Jennifer also serves as fiction editor for The Meadowland Review and teaches creative writing at The Writers Circle. Second Verse is her first novel.
10 Winners will get a signed Bookmark (open internationally)
1 Winner will get: The Romance Pack
Stickers | Bookmark | Leather Love Journal | 2 Love Picture Frames | $10 iTunes Gift Card | French Kiss Lip Gloss | Love Ring | Touched by Corrine Jackson | Breathe by Abbi Glines | Guitar Notes by Mary Amato
1 Winner will get: The Mystery Pack
Stickers | Bookmark | Halloween Journal | Creepy Tree Candle | Skeleton Girl Trinket Box | $10 iTunes Gift Card | Glitter Nail Polish | Skeleton Key Necklace | Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma | Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross
ADDITIONAL GIVEAWAY!
If SECOND VERSE can get 75 Review ON AMAZON by November 1st (one month after release) Jennifer will do a giveaway for a KINDLE just for those who reviewed it! Winner will be chosen from the reviews, so don’t forget to read it and put that review up! ON AMAZON!
Must be 13+ To Enter – Shipping in the US Only
Don't forget to stop by Rainy Day Ramblings for Kendare Blake: Antigoddess on the Something Wicked Returns event!



























Um, creepy synopsis! I get scared easily and this one really has that creepy vibe. Don't think I'll start this even though you enjoyed it thoroughly, unfortunately!
ReplyDeleteFab review, hun! <33
I really like the cover on this, it really draws you in! I haven't seen this one before so thanks for introducing it to me Candace!
ReplyDeleteoooh! a ghost story! me likey! :) Having grew up reading Stephen King, James Herbert and Graham Masterton, as well watching asian horror movies (which are, you know, the scariest!), I don't scare easily. I do, however, love a good scary story, and ghost stories are my ultimate favorites. Especially ones involving seances and conjuring of evil spirits :) This one here sounds really good, thank you for sharing Candace!
ReplyDeleteEvie @Bookish
Like you, I scare easily so that makes me a little nervous to try this one, BUT I love twists so much that I might have to suck it up and read anyway. There's nothing better than going along thinking you know where things are headed only to be so wrong your mind almost shuts down from the shock. Awesome review Candace, you've definitely piqued my curiousity!
ReplyDeleteI so agree on the twists. Full of twists however some were a bit more predictable the closer the they got. The ending totally had me though. Great review.
ReplyDeleteI like ghost stories and a really good mystery that can keep me on my toes. I think I may like this book based on your review. Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI love all the elements in this mystery/thriller/murder and ghosts..eep. I wonder how scary it would be for a King fan like me? The pacing and mystery sound good though..lovely review!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds awesome! I like that the bigger mysteries at the end were shocking. I do like a good ghost story.
ReplyDeleteHm... I donno... I have been able to handle horror books better than movies... but still... scared you, huh? I might have to try it, but if I get scared to death... I'm haunting you! ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm a big chicken, and don't read truly scary stories either! I'm so glad you made it through and liked Second Verse. Nice review, Candace!
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely a big baby when it comes to scary things!! Lange sounds like she's got things under control, though. :)
ReplyDeleteI like the sound of Lange
ReplyDeleteThis sounds good. Sometimes I enjoy ghost stories. Nice review and I am glad you liked it.
ReplyDeleteI am forewarned! I am definitely a scaredy cat and was a little spooked just by what you wrote about this book-I'm not sure I'm brave enough to read it on my own.
ReplyDelete