Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Blog Tour: Colony East by Scott Cramer Review & Giveaway


Today I'm hosting a stop on the Colony East blog tour. This tour is organized by me and you can find the full schedule on the tour page HERE.  This is the 2nd book in the Toucan trilogy and is a fantastic and unique take on a dystopian/post apocalyptic world.

Colony East (Toucan Trilogy #2) by Scott Cramer
ebook, 336 pages
Published: Sept 9th, 2013
Source: Author

When the bacteria that killed most of world's adults undergo a deadly mutation, 15-year old Abby must make the journey to Colony East, an enclave of scientists caring for a small group of children for reasons unknown. She fears that time is running short for the victims, but she's soon to learn that time is running out for everyone outside Colony East.

Night of the Purple Moon, book 1, is free for a limited time at Amazon, B&N, KOBO, iTunes, Smashwords, etc.

Find the book: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N |
iTunes | KOBO
 

 The Toucan Trilogy, for me, is a unique plot with a different spin on the dystopian/post apocalyptic genre.  The adults have been killed by a deadly bacteria and all that are left are kids, except for a few adults who were in submarines or bunkers.  As I said in my review of Night of the Purple Moon, I initially went in a bit skeptical of this.  However Mr. Cramer provides a scientific explanation that I found convincing and didn't doubt it 'could' happen.  In this book it starts out where Night of the Purple Moon stopped and it's filled with action and terrifying moments.  Once they get through that bit of an obstacle we switch to a year later.   I don't always like this tactic, but in this case I do like it.  I like seeing how much things change and we don't really need to sit by and see all these things.  Jumping to a point when some big things start happening works for me. 

This book is told slightly different from the first.  We are primarily in Abby's head (not first person) and then alternate chapters put us in Colony East and an adult that lives there.  Later in the book we get more from Jordan's POV as well as he has some adventures of his own.  I really liked the incorporation of the new character as we now see a much broader scope of the world and what's happening.  We see the good, the bad and the ugly.  Once again we are reminded how lucky Abby, Jordan, Toucan and their friends that live on the island are, as the mainland is a mess.  Luckily we see things starting to take shape and hope is on the horizon. Unfortunately there's a new catastrophe as the bacteria has mutated and now children are getting a new sickness.  

The characters in these books are younger (pre-puberty when the catastrophe struck) but they have to grow up fast.  It's scary seeing the things that kids will do to others when desperate.  At the same time we see the good ones, the ones that have a big heart.  They may be harder to find, but they are there.  And Abby always keeps her big heart, which nearly leads to her downfall many times.  At the same time it makes her easier to connect with because I think most of us would feel similar.  At least when reading.  Facing it in real life? That could be another story.  

I think that Mr. Cramer is a brilliant story teller.  Going with younger characters is tricky, as it's not a middle grade book because of the violence, death and destruction, but mature middle grade readers should be able to connect with these characters quite well.  There's no sex, cursing or anything like that.  I like that there's less focus on romance and more on family, friends and just surviving.  

I definitely recommend this series.  They are fast reads and are incredibly hard to put down once you start reading.  You just desperately need to know more.

Night of the Purple Moon is FREE, I suggest you grab a copy and give it a try!


 Disclosure: I received a copy for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.


Night of the Purple Moon (Toucan Trilogy #1)

Abby Leigh is looking forward to watching the moon turn purple, unaware that deadly bacteria from a passing comet will soon kill off older teens and adults. The lightning-fast epidemic sweeps across the planet when the germs attack the hormones produced during puberty.
On a small island off the coast of Maine, Abby must help her brother and baby sister survive in this new world, but all the while she has a ticking time bomb inside of her -- adolescence.

Night of the Purple Moon is FREE on Amazon & for Nook.



About the author:

Scott Cramer has written feature articles for national magazines, covered school committee meetings for a local newspaper, published haiku and poetry, optioned a screenplay, and produced customer reference accounts for a big computer company. His pursuit of a good story has put him behind the stick of an F-18, flying a Navy Blue Angels’ fighter jet, and he has trekked through the Peruvian mountains in search of an ancient Quechua festival featuring a condor. He is the author of Night of the Purple Moon and Colony East. Scott and his wife have two daughters and reside outside Lowell, Massachusetts (birthplace of Jack Kerouac) in an empty nest/zoo/suburban farm/art studio with too many surfboards in the garage.

Find the author: Website Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

a Rafflecopter giveaway




Something Wicked Returns is still in full force.  We're getting near the end of the month already!  Be sure to stop by and visit the stops today.  You can also find the full schedule HERE.
Today's stops:
Ali@My Guilty Obsession: Susannah Sandlin:Penton Legacy
Tanja@Ja citam, a ti? :Kimberly Sabatini:Touching the Surface  

Oct. 23rd:
Ali@My Guilty Obsession: Kelly Sheridan: Mortality Series/Hitchhiker Strain Series
Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings: Tina Connolly: Copperhead
Ginny@Gin's Book Notes: Melanie Karsack- The Harvesting
J.A.@J.A. Garland: Dysus Dreamer by J.A. Garland
Candace@Candace's Book Blog: Cat Winters: In the Shadow of Blackbirds
 

32 comments:

  1. Damn....I wish I was part of the tour and could have read this series already. Guess I'll have to get my own copy now. This section of your review sold the series to me --

    "I think that Mr. Cramer is a brilliant story teller. Going with younger characters is tricky, as it's not a middle grade book because of the violence, death and destruction, but mature middle grade readers should be able to connect with these characters quite well. There's no sex, cursing or anything like that. I like that there's less focus on romance and more on family, friends and just surviving. "

    Thanks for the great review, Candace! I picked up Night of the Purple Moon and hopefully will get to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mutations, huh? That sort of thing always piques my interest! Thanks for the review, Candace, and for letting us know about the freebie, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perpective of which this is written interests me, in someone's head yet still not first person? Awesome.

    Lovely review, Candace! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Sarika's review for this one and I must say that you both have got me really interested in this series. I saw that you were organizing blog tour but right now I couldn't read it as I don't have time. Great review Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds great, Candace. I have read something similar in the past and have been daunted with the sufferings of the characters. But it was something that I was kind of have a morbid curiosity on just because I like to know how the characters would fare. Thanks for the heads up on this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome series. I will need to check it out. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This sounds like it has a unique concept to it. I can't imagine what it must be like for the kids to actually live in a world all by themselves. At the same time, they must be a lot more independent than the kids these days.
    The author sounds like he writes really well. I will definitely look more into this.
    Thanks for the lovely review, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like this is a story that's been told a hundred times but, if the author can make it unique, then that's a win in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember really liking the Purple Moon, I am glad this was a good sequel.
    Great review Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Certainly sounds like an interesting read and kinda scary too. Great review. I think my son would like this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not heard about this series before, Candace, so thank you for spotlighting it! I usually like post-apocalyptic books more than dystopians and this one sounds like something I could actually get into. I don't know, guess I'm just attracted to drastic plot lines and weird disease outbreaks? I know, I know, it can't be healthy :P Thank you for sharing your review!! I'll be checking this series out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like that he gives a plausible explanation for the bacteria, I always need a more complete explanation for things in dystopian worlds. I want to know how that world came to be, and if there's a virus or something involved, I tend to want to know how it started and why it affected those it did:) So glad you get those types of answers in this book, wonderful review Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the giveaway and the heads up on the free book. This sounds different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely review! I'm glad you liked this one a lot. I think it's fascinating to see kids in horrible situations; it's like Lord of the Flies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. With these books, believability is a huge issue for me, and I admit to being a bit skeptical at first, but if you say it was written in a convincing way, then I more than believe you. :)
    I think it sounds interesting, although I'm a bit tired of post-apocalyptic scenarios.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this sounds good and well researched. Usually makes it more real. I also see that I do have that first book on my tbr! Sweet! So need to get into this series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad to see that there are more explanations so you can believe the world is possible. I have the first book on my Kindle, now I really need to give it a try! Glad to hear you enjoyed book two. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I lvoed purple moon! Look forward to reading book two!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting although dystopia is hit or miss with me. Makes me wonder how these kids are running the planet, it's like a throwback to the olden days when people don't live beyond their 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This has me curious, especially the world-building and why adults dies. Wonderful review Candace, I am off to snag the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like something I have never read before. Good review and hope to have a chance at this one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, this looks really good! I love stories about disease (sounds terrible, haha); this is such a great premise!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes! These books are right up my ally! I'd love to read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds amazing! Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the chance....this series sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohh, I want these books! Pleeeease! Pick me. Pick meeee! xD

    ReplyDelete
  27. I actually have the first book in this series and hope to get time to read it in the near future. It does sound different with only the children surviving. Great review Candace.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds really interesting! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. love freebies! thank you for letting us know, wonderful way to learn about a new author and series. Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds like a really great series, one that my husband could get into also!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs