Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Allure Blog Tour: Guest Post & Giveaway!


I'm really excited to welcome author Lea Nolan to the blog today as part of the blog tour for Allure, the second book in the Hoodoo Apprentice series. This tour has been put together by Rockstar Book Tours and you can find the tour page HERE.

I read the first book, Conjure, last year and it was really creepy and good.  So I wanted Lea to write about something to do with the setting.  And I got lucky, I got an amazing guest post about the setting along with photos as well!

Let's welcome Lea to the blog!



Thanks so much for having me, Candace. It’s a great pleasure to be here!

Why the South Carolina Lowcountry is the perfect setting for the Hoodoo Apprentice series

My book, Allure, the second installment in The Hoodoo Apprentice series features three teens who use Gullah hoodoo magic to battle an ancient-soul sucking curse and a hideous monster that will stop at nothing to consume its prey. The series is set on St. Helena Island, South Carolina, one of the Sea Islands that lies between the Atlantic and the US mainland. This area is known as the Lowcountry, and it’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever visited.

In the right light, it can also be one of the creepiest which makes it the perfect setting for a series about good and evil, heinous crimes and retribution, and hopefully, with a little luck, salvation.

I don’t feel like I picked the location so much as the location picked me. Early on before I wrote a single word, I knew the ancient curses in the stories were created to punish a band of vicious pirates for a horrible crime. The first step was to figure out where those nasty pirates would most likely be lurking during the early eighteenth-century. A few clicks on the Internet told me that South Carolina was the perfect candidate.

After a bit more digging, I was reminded that the Sea Islands were also the home of the Gullah, descendants of freed slaves who developed their own culture and language. I also learned that some of the Gullah practice a unique brand of plant-based folk magic known as hoodoo.  With this rich history and the area’s amazing atmosphere and distinct features, it was as if the universe had handed me the perfect place to set this series.

I mean seriously, what’s more beautiful and spooky than dripping Spanish moss? The lowcountry is covered with this clingy, spongy stuff and it pops up all over the place in Allure and the first book in the Hoodoo Apprentice series, Conjure. This is a picture of my daughter on a recent scouting trip to St. Helena and surrounding islands. She thinks it’s as cool as I do.



And here’s a photo of one of St. Helena’s many gnarly live oak trees. Can you imagine walking through the woods at night, wondering if one of these things is going to reach over and grab you?

Any location with hundreds of years’ of history is likely to have really old cemeteries. In Allure, a private family graveyard is a huge set piece so you can imagine how happy I was to visit an eighteen-century abandoned churchyard that contained these gems:



These are so old and weathered, you can barely make out the names and carvings on the stones.

Check out these rusted iron motifs. They’re actually flowers, but from a distance they look like smiling skulls. Creep-tastic!

And this empty mid-nineteenth century crypt was equally squeal worthy—in a good way—because a certain crypt plays an important role in Allure, too.

With all these cool elements, I can’t imagine a better place to locate this series!

Thanks so much for having me. I hope you found this introduction to the lowcountry as fascinating as I do. So how about you? What types of places freak you out?

~Lea


Lea Nolan writes the kinds of stories she sought as a teen—smart paranormals with bright heroines, crazy-hot heroes, diabolical plot twists, plus a dose of magic, a draft of romance, and a sprinkle of history. She holds degrees in history and women’s studies concentrating in public policy and has spent nearly twenty years as a health policy analyst and researcher. She lives in Maryland with her heroically supportive husband and three clever children. You can learn more about Lea on her website, on Facebook, Twitter and on Goodreads


Worst. Summer. Ever.



Emma Guthrie races to learn the hoodoo magic needed to break The Beaumont Curse before her marked

boyfriend Cooper’s sixteenth birthday. But deep in the South Carolina Lowcountry, dark, mysterious forces encroach, conspiring to separate Emma and Cooper forever. When Cooper starts to change, turning cold and indifferent, Emma discovers that both his heart and body are marked for possession by competing but equally powerful adversaries.


Desperate to save him, Emma and her twin brother, Jack, risk their lives to uncover the source of the black magic that has allured Cooper and holds him in its grip. Faced with the horror of a soul-eating boohag, Emma and Jack must fight to resist its fiendish power to free Cooper long enough to join their strengths and face it together, before it destroys them all.
Find the Book:




Grand Prize- A Hoodoo Apprentice Prize Pack US Only
2nd and 3rd prizes of $25 Amazon or Barnes & Noble gift cards International.

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Something Wicked Returns is in full swing, be sure to stop by  Rainy Day Ramblings for Laura Bickle: The Outside as well as Curling Up With a Good Book and her feature of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Tucholke. Find the full schedule HERE.

37 comments:

  1. I love the pictures in the guest post! I haven't heard of this book so I'm going to check it out right now.

    Thanks for sharing, Candace! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gullah culture is completely fascinating! Our theater kids are currently researching and writing a play based on Gullah stories with some of the Gullah language in it -- very cool! And definitely a great setting for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! I really have enjoyed this series, it will be interesting to see where the author takes them all in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore Southern settings, and South Carolina is just the perfect setting for any creepy/scary/magical story in my opinion :) It reminds me of the movie with Kate Hudson, The Skeleton Key, which I loved! :) Great guest post :) The cover of Allure is gorgeous, can't wait to read this series! Thanks for sharing, Candace!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for hosting me, Candace! I love visiting your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the lowcountry is so atmospheric and beautiful! I can see why it made the perfect setting for this series. Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a GREAT interview! Those pics were the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to visit South Caroline, mostly Charleston, but now St. Helena Island is on that list as well! I adore Spanish moss, it's so beautiful and haunting at the same time. Sadly, we have none of it here in Ohio. Fail. I need to move south! The pictures are all absolutely gorgeous, I'm in love with the setting of this book already, so atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos. Visiting places like that is great. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I didn't know the South Carolina Low Country was her inspiration. I am only a little over an hour away from there. The pictures are wonderful, and the book sounds great to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, this does sound like the perfect spooky setting!! It is always interesting to see why authors set their stories where they do, when it's placed in reality.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This series is new to me but I love the voodoo aspect. Wonderful guest post, I loved all the images , so haunting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. South Caroline is the perfect setting for this series! The photos remind me so much of Louisiana, too! Thanks for sharing, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how cool is this? Love how you got to explore all those creepy but fascinating places. Wonderful! Would like to visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh this series sounds awesome and I Love a book that has a really great, vibrant setting that comes to life. I haven't been to many places so I'm not too fussy on WHERE more than how it comes to life in a book. Though South Carolina looks beautiful and perfect fr the tone of the book going by those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful guest post and Spanish Moss adds mystique to any place. I went to Savannah two years ago and i was so enchanted by the town because of the spanish moss, oaks and the old houses. From the photos it feels this SC town is more or less the same.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post was so interesting and those pictures! Can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a new series for me but I am definitely intrigued by the hoodoo magic. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, this sounds sooooo good:) Spooky Hoodoo Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the chance to win!
    Sounds like an amazing read!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the photos posted on your interview. They are just so cool. I would love to visit these places.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very interested post! Love the pictures!

    ~Veronica Vasquez~

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could not agree more about Spanish Moss! And it sounds like you had some fun research to do for it, with Gullah and hoodoo and the history of the Low Country. It makes me wish there were photos in the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the cover looks awesome will have to go get the book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This place looks Awesome! What a great setting for your stories. Guess I need to add South Carolina to my next trip list. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is there anyone not in love with that cover or those pictures?

    If so, I'd love to check their brain function.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The picture and descriptions creep me out. The flower/skull fences is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  28. love the pictures! I'm currently living in Southern Louisiana so they feel like home!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love that photos were added to this! It really helps bring the setting to life :) Cool sounding book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing with us and for this awesome giveaway. I really enjoyed the mini-photo tour. I have always wanted to visit the South. I have the Hoodoo Apprentice series on my wishlist/TBR and cannot wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This series sounds perfectly spooky. I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really like the synopsis. This book is different from what I usually read, but with reading the synopsis I want to give this book a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like the fact that we write books that i think that my neice will read. I hope that she will read it after me. I am trying to get her to read for enjoyment not just for school

    ReplyDelete
  34. I loved the awesome pictures and will definitely read this series.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This series sounds good! Thanks for the awesome giveaway! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sounds great!! Thanks for the giveaway!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs