Getting Rowdy (Love Undercover #3) by Lori Foster
Mass Market paperback, 448 pages
Published: September 24, 2013 by Harlequin
Source: Publisher
An alpha hero's attraction to the one woman he can't have could draw him into a killer's snare in the sizzling new novel from New York Times bestselling author Lori Foster.
Charismatic bar owner Rowdy Yates isn't the kind of man women say no to. So when he approaches waitress Avery Mullins, he fully expects to get her number. However, the elusive beauty has her reasons for keeping her distance-including a past that might come back to haunt them both.
Avery spends her nights working for tips...and trying to forget the secret Rowdy is determined to unearth. But when history threatens to repeat itself, Avery grows to rely on Rowdy's protective presence. As the sparks between them ignite, she will be forced to choose between the security she's finally found...and the passion she's always wanted.
I don't read many contemporary adult romances (or anything that could be labeled as 'romance'). They just don't work for me much of the time. But I've been wanting to try Lori Foster because so many people rave about her books and I knew it was time to step out of my normal genres (even though I'm an eclectic reader, there are a few genres I very rarely pick up). I hadn't read the previous books in the series, but since they are companion novels I decided to go for it anyway. And it worked out fine. While it was clear to me who the previous books were focused on, this was it's own story.
I really liked that Rowdy and Avery already knew each other when the book started. They had already started on the whole flirting thing. At first I thought that I would be extremely frustrated and angry at Rowdy because he was a big time player and why would be mess around when he clearly liked Avery? But it turns out that he really thought he didn't have a chance with her, so I guess I get it. Sort of. I mean really, if you like a girl you should prove it to her by stopping the sleeping around. But that wasn't Rowdy's way and I found myself able to move on from that particular issue pretty quickly.
I liked both Rowdy and Avery, even when the familiar tropes were in play (I love you, I hate you...) it seemed like things got resolved between them quickly, that they didn't stew in their 'issues'. They were able to open up to each other pretty quickly with less drama then usual.
My favorite part of the book was the thriller (ish) aspect. Someone is watching them, making prank calls and generally just being scary. We can make a pretty accurate guess as to what is going on pretty quickly, but we don't have a clue how it will play out, we just know that something big is going to happen. We also get brief bits of the bad guys POV which gives us a better idea of why this is happening. It's pretty intense and this aspect had me flying through the book much more quickly. When it comes down to that final showdown though, I found out that not all my guesses were completely accurate. Total win on that aspect of the book!
Even though I'm not the biggest fan of how romances play out in books, I found myself flying through this book and finding everything pretty interesting. The drama wasn't too bad for me, but when it was I found myself getting over it quickly as the characters did as well. In the end this book was a total win for me and I would definitely consider reading more of Lori Fosters books.
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
About the author:
Since first publishing in January 1996, Lori Foster has become a Waldenbooks, Borders, USA Today, Publishers Weekly and New York Times bestselling author. She also received the Romantic Times “Career Achievement Award” for Series Romantic Fantasy and Contemporary Romance.
Lori believes it is important to give back to the community as much as possible, so she routinely arranges events among authors and readers to gather donations for various organizations.
Since first publishing in January 1996, Lori Foster has become a Waldenbooks, Borders, USA Today, Publishers Weekly and New York Times bestselling author. She also received the Romantic Times “Career Achievement Award” for Series Romantic Fantasy and Contemporary Romance.
Lori believes it is important to give back to the community as much as possible, so she routinely arranges events among authors and readers to gather donations for various organizations.
The publisher is generously offering up one copy of Getting Rowdy to one lucky person.
You must be 17 or older to enter.
Open to US addresses only.
Ends 10/15
Fill out the raffleopter to enter!
Something Wicked Returns continues with today's stops at:
Maja@The Nocturnal Library: LJ Adlington: Night Witches
Ginny@Gin's Book Notes: Tori L. Ridgewood: Wind and Shadows
Susan@Taylor Made Ficition: Susan Arden: Collared for a Night
Diane@Strahbary's Fields: Robin Burks : Zeus Inc.
























I never was aware that you didn't like romance that much- I am actually on really interested in reading YA romance/contemp lately for some strange reason, eh.
ReplyDeleteLovely review, Candace! <33
I should have clarified that, no, I love YA contemp romances (a lot of the time), its the ADULT ones that often don't work for me. Kinda strange since I'm an adult. ;)
DeleteOh, hot brooding man leaning over the pool table...let's get Rowdy, indeed! I think the reason I like romances is because of their predictability. As long as the dialogue is popping and there's plenty of heat, I'm a happy girl!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you liked this Candace. I have been seeing great reviews on it, and I know that this isn't your favorite genre, so if you liked it, I am sure I will. Great review.
ReplyDeleteThe thriller aspect sounds really well done
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you liked the author especially given this isn't normally your genre of choice. I have been meaning to try her as well!
ReplyDeleteRowdy sounds like the kind of guy character who really grows on you. I kind of get where he's coming from if he didn't think he had a shot in hell with her. I like the sounds of this mystery though it already gives me the creeps and these kinds of thriller plots are my fav! Great review, Candace!
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm so glad you gave Lori Foster a try Candace! I so enjoy her books and I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm excited about the mystery element and the fact that not all your guesses were correct, that always makes things fun. Thanks so much for the chance to win too! I'm ready to get my hands on Rowdy ;-)
ReplyDeleteI quite like Lori Foster, although I do prefer some of her older books to her newer series. I'm glad you liked Getting Rowdy, though, and I will definitely be reading it.
ReplyDeleteI love romantic suspense and I've been advised that books by Lori Foster should be on that list.
ReplyDeleteI have heard many things about this author. Seen her books on shelves too lots of time. I don't read much of adult contempories but I'll give this one a try. Thanks for sharing and the great review.
ReplyDeleteI recently read this, too, even though I haven't read the first two books in the series. I am a romance fan, and was looking forward to that. And I liked the mystery aspect, too.
ReplyDeleteNice review, Candace!
Like you, I so rarely pick up this genre, but perhaps I should step out of my comfort zone here and there. I would probably focus on the thriller(ish) parts too, but who cares? As long as it's fun, it's all great.
ReplyDeleteLovely review, Candace!
I keep seeing this series, and I am beginning to think I really need to start it. Great review.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read anything by this author either, but I'm glad stepping out of your reading comfort zone worked out this time!
ReplyDeleteI'm not always a huge fan of her women characters, but I usually love her men characters. I'm glad you enjoy it and I do tend to gravitate toward the romantic suspense when I choose these kind of romances. Glad you enjoyed. So on my wishlist now!
ReplyDeleteLovely review Candace and yes he sounds like a player but really he isn't ..LOL
ReplyDeleteRomance books tend to be fast reads so I don't mind reading them when I want something easy. I haven't read this one though, nor any of Lori Foster's books.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed this one, Candace!
I still remember Kimberly's review for this one. Honestly I avoid everything that has adult and romance in it, but this sounds like something I cannot miss. Besides the guy on the cover...mhmmm. Rowdy sounds like a character I must meet. Great review Candace :)
ReplyDeleteI don't read much adult romances either because of how cheesy they can be sometimes, but the past year, I've definitely been reading more and more. (Probably because I visit Kim's blog too much ;) )
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that you went out of your comfort zone to try this one out.
Rowdy sounds super frustrating. I don't understand this logic of not being good enough for a girl! Let the girl decide if she wants to be with you or not.
Lovely review, Candace!
I also don't read these too often, but Lori Foster's books have been calling out to me—I keep seeing them on all my favorite blogs. Now that you're a fan of Getting Rowdy too, I pretty much have to read it :D. Glad to hear the suspenseful aspects worked for you and that it kept you guessing and surprised you with the way it ended up. Wonderful review!
ReplyDelete