Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles #3) by Melina Marchetta
Hardcover, 528 pages
Published: April 23rd, 2013 by Candlewick Press (US)
Source: ALAMW
There's a babe in my belly that whispers the valley, Froi. I follow the whispers and come to the road . . .
Separated from the girl he loves and has sworn to protect, Froi must travel through Charyn to search for Quintana, the mother of Charyn's unborn king, and protect her against those who will do anything to gain power. But what happens when loyalty to family and country conflict? When the forces marshalled in Charyn's war gather and threaten to involve the whole of the land, including Lumatere, only Froi can set things right, with the help of those he loves.
Spoiler free for the series.
This is a book that I was so excited to write a review for because I felt so much. My emotions have never been so all over the place. No book has ever made me laugh and cry and scream and holler and feel so much (except the book previous to this one, Froi of the Exiles). It's rare to find a series that brings out so much emotion. That has your heart pounding erratically the ENTIRE 528 pages. And while I found myself super eager to share all the feels I felt, once I started writing about this book I discovered it's just not as easy as I thought. Because there are no words to describe how this book made me feel. I think about this book and I cry. That's how strongly it impacted me.
This series doesn't just follow the people that are what we would consider the main characters. Finnikin of the Rock isn't just about Finn (though more so then the next two), Froi of the Exiles is not just about Froi, we also get to see what's going on with everyone else in all these different places. And this book was the same. While you would expect the book to have more about Quintana than anyone else, it doesn't really. Actually it felt like she had the least amount of page time. It doesn't matter though, because it's perfect how it is. However, it's also incredibly frustrating. You get to the end of one heart pounding chapter and there's a crazy insane thing that happens and then the next chapter we're with another group of people and we have to wait to see what happens. I told you, it's hard to put down!
This whole series messes with you when it comes to the bad guys and the good guys cause the line is blurred for everyone (well, most everyone). We see things from so many different angles that people we love to death we also see from the other side and discover they aren't as great as we thought. But there's a reason for that, which we saw when we were with them originally. Yikes, that sounds a bit confusing. Just trust me when I say, you just never know how things might go. And when a character you love is going on a journey to kill another character you love and you know it's just because of a miscommunication and misunderstanding it is SO hard to read it. I mean it's hard to not jump ahead to see what happens! To see if everyone survives because really, all they have to do is TALK! The thing is, no one trusts anyone. No one knows if someone is betraying them. Except us. Us, as the reader, see all the different sides and can only hope everyone can find a way to get along.
This book wraps up the series PERFECT. There are no loose ends, but yet things don't seem rather 'convenient' either. It's all just feels right, like it's all how it should be.
Anyway, all I can really say about this series is FREAKING READ IT PEOPLE! Seriously. If you enjoy high fantasy, this series is NOT to be missed!
Disclosure: I received this book free of charge at ALAMW. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

.png)


















I love love love this series! I can't wait to read the final book. For sure Froi of the Exiles brought out so much emotion. I am glad to see this one does the same thing.
ReplyDeleteOkay. I'm reading this series. YES, I AM!! And, now that it's done, I can MARATHON IT!!
ReplyDeleteYES Mary, YES!
DeleteThis sounds like a great series. For some reason I love series that keep you guessing on who are the good and whom are the bad. I am not huge on fantasy but I think I would like this one.
ReplyDeleteGreat review!
Confession: There's no way I'd be able to read this book without cheating and jumping ahead. I would have to know if the miscommunication gets worked out. I WOULD HAVE TO KNOW CANDACE! It's hugely impressive that Melina's able to make your heart pound the entire 500+ pages, so clearly I need to drop what I'm currently reading and snatch up this book and the first one:)
ReplyDelete*moves giant rock that I've been living under out of the way*
ReplyDeleteLast night, while working on my new releases post for tomorrow was the first I've heard of this book. It's gotten rave reviews and when I see that all my bloggy pals loved it so much, it will pique my interest.
And now I find out it's BOOK 3 (see: aforementioned rock). I love books that can make you invest so much of yourself. I'll be adding this to my TBR pile.
Thanks for the awesome, non-spoilery review :)
♥Isalys / Book Soulmates
What a great sounding series. I will be checking it out for sure. Wonderful review.
ReplyDeleteJenea @ Books Live Forever
Love the sound of the emotions as well as the blurred lines that make you think about good and evil... I haven't gotten into this series for whatever reason, but need to look into more
ReplyDeleteYes Ali, You must give it a try!
ReplyDeleteYAY Jenny! Do read it! DO!
Isalys, this series is SO worth reading!
Oh wow this is already at book 3? I have heard amazing things about this series all over. It's kind of intimidating actually lol. I'm not huge on fantasy though so I'm not sure I want to take the plunge or not >.< I like when the villains aren't strictly described though, I mean in the sense that you can't allow yourself to trust anybody! I loved the 5th Wave bc of that aspect! Great review, doll!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree! YAY that you loved this series so much. I FELT so much in these books and grew to love many many characters. Love that you talked about MM's ability to change your mind about characters as her stories progress. That is an amazing talent of hers. Great review!
ReplyDeleteI have to admit, you said emotional read and I wasn't sure I wanted to go there. However, with the perfect ending... I do think I want to go there. I have come to appreciate those kind of endings SO much! Adding this one to the wishlist.
ReplyDeleteYES! This book made me feel ALL the feels, that's how amazing it was. Froi is still my favorite, but there's so much to love here too. I never even tried reviewing it, as I don't think writing OMGOMGOMGOMG would suffice, but I'm glad you did, and I'm SO glad you loved it.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to see that you loved this book! I still need to start Froi soon (I managed to hold off reading it so I wouldn't have to wait a long time until Quintana released).
ReplyDeleteFabulous review! :)
Thanks for pointing out that while the title may suggest an emphasis on one character, each of the books offers descriptive details that help us enjoy the character growth of the full cast as well as the intricacy of the amazing plot. I think I'll have to find time to squeeze in this awesome series. Beautiful review, Candace!
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to read something by MM for ages and this series seems like the perfect start before Jellicoe Road. Great review :)
ReplyDeleteI've heard so many amazing things about this series, it just never seemed right for me. I may reconsider that, b/c I admire any book that inspires so much passion.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful review, Candace!
Okay, a book that long that did all that the whole way through... ? I have to check this series out. It's hard for me to read such long books sometimes if they don't keep me on my toes and interested.
ReplyDeleteMarchetta is one of my favourite YA authors. I have this and Froi still waiting to be read...I need to make sure I'm in the right state to begin them, if you know what I mean. Great review.
ReplyDeleteI just finished this one too, and OH MY GOSH it is the perfect ending! I wish everyone would read this series. It should be required reading :-)
ReplyDeleteI also had such a hard time putting it down, because the alternating stories were all so compelling and I'd get hooked on what was going to happen next with each of them. I don't think I've ever read 500+ pages so quickly (well maybe FROI OF THE EXILES).
So happy you loved this one, and the series too! Beautiful review, Candace :-)
One of the reasons I can't wait for summer is that I plan to finish up this series. I still haven't read Froi either. And I read Finnikin last summer so I may need to do a little re-reading.
ReplyDeleteSo excited. MM is one of my very favorite authors!
I have not read this series yet, but it seems I need to add it to my tbr pile. Thanks for the review, or I might have missed it.
ReplyDeleteI'm soooo sad to see this one end. Melina Marchetta is a genius!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally adding it. When I read reviews and they say read it, I must!
ReplyDeleteI'm not familiar with this series, but it certainly sounds good. I will add it to my list for the future. Thanks for the great review.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm still struggling to read Jellicoe Road. If I can't get through that will I be able to read her high fantasy? I don't know what it is. I've been told to stick with it. I just can't. But these books sound so good! Are they different from Jellicoe Road? Did you read JR?
ReplyDeleteHeather