Sunday, April 21, 2013

Children's Reviews: The Beginner's Guide to Running Away From Home & Isabella: Star of the Story

I have some amazing children's books reviews for you today.  I was lucky enough to get some at ALAMW and was sure to read them all to my kids before passing them on to the school librarian.

The Beginner's Guide to Running Away From Home by Jennifer Larue Huget and illustrated by Red Nose Studio
Hardcover, 40 pages
Expected publication: June 25th, 2013 by Schwartz and Wade
Ages: 4 and up
Source: ALAMW 2013

What kid hasn't wanted to make their parents feel sorry for treating him badly?
And how better to accomplish this than to run away? Here's a guide showing how, from what to pack (gum--then you won't have to brush your teeth) to how to survive (don't think about your cozy bed). Ultimately, though, readers will see that there really is no place like home. Like Judith Viorst's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, here's a spot-on portrait of a kid who's had it.
And like Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are, it's also a journey inside a creative kid's imagination: that special place where parents aren't allowed without permission.

This book is absolutely unique.  It's funny and it rings so true, so honest. And those illustrations (which aren't actually illustrations as they are like these scenes created and pictures were taken) will totally get your attention.  I know they won't be for everyone, but while I can't call them 'cute' or 'adorable' I can say that they most definitely captivate me.

Here's a quote for you:
If you're not quite sure you reason's good enough, try saying it out loud.  Pretend you're walking out the door and just before it slams, shout "I'M RUNNING AWAY AND NEVER COMING BACK BECAUSE YOU THREW OUT ALL MY CANDY WRAPPERS AND RUINED MY WHOLE LIFE!"  Or whatever your reason is.  Did it sound okay?  Keep practicing until it does.  

Yeah, kinda funny, right?

My daughter is into girly things like unicorns, horses and fairies but when I gave her a choice to pick 1 of about 10 books to keep this is the one she picked.  And in that stack of books it included a book with mermaids and dragons.  That right there shows you that this is a winner.

As an adult I loved reading it, I loved the illustrations and I loved that it was so true.  We all think about running away when we're young right?  Life is just SO unfair and our parents don't understand us AT ALL.  But then you run away and well, where do you go?  What do you eat?  Yeah, maybe your folks aren't so bad after all...


Isabella: Star of the Story by Jennifer Fosberry, pictures by Mike Litwin
Hardcover, 32 pages
Expected publication: April 1st, 2013 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Ages: 4 and up
Source: ALAMW 2013

Every day's an adventure with Isabella!

Isabella checks out the library, and steals the spotlight from some of the most memorable children's book characters. She's Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole. No, now she's Peter Pan, flying off to Never Never Land. And when it's finally time to follow the yellow brick road home, she decides she's happy just being Isabella, the little purple-haired girl with a lot of books and even more imagination.

This was my first Isabella story to read.  I like the illustrations a lot, they are very vibrant and eye catching.  And anything with books gets my attention!

I like the storyline, Isabella goes to the library and imagines she's all these different characters, as she loads up on books to check out.  I'm not sure that I really like Isabella.  She's just so go, go, go and maybe a tad obnoxious?  She just didn't sit real well with me for some reason and it's hard to put my finger on why.

My daughter wasn't real impressed with the book (though she's a tad old for it at 8) and decided this was a good one to give to the school (which was my plan anyway).

So I liked the book okay, but it wasn't a wow for us (though I really did adore the illustrations).
Disclosure: Both books were acquired at ALAMW free of charge, but all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way. 

7 comments:

  1. Okay the covers on both of these are awesome! So adorable and fun looking!
    These both sounds like really great reads. I am so glad you and your daughter enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently started volunteering at a local library and they're looking to expand their children's section. I'll have to recommend The Beginner's Guide to them! It sounds really funny and cute. I'm glad to hear your daughter liked it so much! As for Isabella, I'm sorry to hear that she wasn't that great of a character. Regardless, fabulous reviews, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally have to get this book for my drama queen daughter...=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love The Beginner's Guide to Running Away from Home! I love the front cover and what it sounds like on the inside. And hey, I don't know about you, but sometimes as a parent, I've wanted to run away from home! It looks so great!

    Can't say Isabella looks too appealing. I don't like the cover. But the story sounds good. Definitely for younger readers.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Beginners Guide to Running Away looks SO adorable! Love that quote too. Great reviews! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these. I'm slowly starting to build my son his own library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What adorable stories. The covers are so cute to. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs