Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
paperback, 274 pages
First published April 30th, 2006
Source: Gift (YAY!)
When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.
Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D. J. can’t help admitting, maybe he’s right.
When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.
Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn’t so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. Why her mom has two jobs and a big secret. Why her college-football-star brothers won’t even call home. Why her dad would go ballistic if she tried out for the high school football team herself. And why Brian is so, so out of her league.
When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.
Welcome to the summer that fifteen-year-old D. J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, learns to talk, and ends up having an awful lot of stuff to say.
My friend Lori at Pure Imagination recently raved about this book and I added it to my wishlist. Not long after that I started noticing it popping up everywhere and people were saying amazing things. When it arrived as a Christmas gift from Lori (Thank you Lori!) I actually picked it up right away. We'd had some tragedy going on around here (that mall shooting was in my neck of the woods) and I needed something funny and brainless. Something completely non stressful. So I picked this up.
This book has the best dialogue (internally especially) EVER. Well, I'm sure I have read some just as good, but I'm not sure about better. Because D.J. is one hilarious chick. But the book isn't all about the giggles, D.J. has stuff going on, but even though she has stuff going on she keeps that internal dialogue on and keeps you giggling. I wouldn't even say this is a fluff book as it's a coming of age story and it's got some issues in it. But those issues don't seem to drag it down and it keeps reading more like a lighthearted read.
There were so many things I connected with in this book. The first thing is that D.J. lives on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. I lived on an ostrich farm in SD, but I spent several weeks in the summer each year on a dairy farm in ND. It was that dairy farm that I pictured the entire time. As a matter of fact, it was even described the same way. So I had a very clear picture in my head, even if it was ND instead of WI. D.J. is stuck doing ALL the chores on the dairy farm and I can't even imagine how hard that was. Her father had hurt his hip so she took over the milking (twice a day), the haying (kind of a periodic thing, but loads of work), the cleaning (the barn needs cleaned every day, at least a little) and even the mowing. She basically did everything. I'm the oldest of 5 kids and I know what it's like to feel like you're doing everything (both my parents worked full time) but I never actually had to do everything. Plus feeding ostriches is much faster than milking cows. But D.J. does it without whining. Yeah, we know she's depressed about it, but it's not actual whining and I appreciated that. Anyway, a football player from the opposing team is sent over to help on the farm and D.J. ends up helping him train for football and the two become unlikely friends.
D.J.'s also dealing with family problems and I liked that this was such an important part of the story, especially her father being injured and stuck in the house. He was a very well developed character and was very easy for me to imagine. Actually all the characters were incredibly well developed and it made the story so much better for it. And family isn't always so important in YA books, and I think it should be, so I loved that it was important in this one.
I picked out a quote to share with you guys (I know, I never do this!), but I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure if it'll have the full impact without reading the whole thing, but it's pretty spoiler free.
Bright green grass three inches high, lines sharp as ruler, corner flags fluttering away... pretty as a postcard. Except for the yearling pooping right there on the thirty-yard line.Pg. 106 & 108
"Norm, you moron!" I yelled. "Get off the field!"
Of course Brian cracked up, which I guess he had every right to do because I was laughing too, and then he gave the heifers a long lecture on where they could poop and where they couldn't. It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen, Brian standing there waving his finger like he was some kind of professor and all the heifers eyeing him, flicking the flies off their ears, like they were really paying attention. Until they pooped.
Here's another one, I just can't resist.
This is after her father clomps down to the barn to ask if he should put walnuts in the brownies.
Brian looked so confused that I had to explain. "He got in a fight at church with some old lady and so now he's trying to prove that my mom makes better brownies."pg. 104 & 105
"Does she?"
"No, she never makes them! So Dad's going to do it and say she did it because he doesn't want anyone to think a guy bakes."
Brian laughed. "They might be okay."
"Have you ever tasted my dad's cooking?"
"Maybe he'll add some of that Texas barbecue sauce, give them a little zip."
We both laughed at that.
One thing I mentioned was that it was easy to imagine the farm she lived on, but it really was a major connection for me. The time I spent on the dairy farm as a kid was a really special time for me. We helped with the milking, we fed the baby calves, we played in the cow fields, we helped hay. All this stuff that D.J. does, I did. And it was amazing. There was one point they were playing football in the field and all the cows kind of crowded around like the show was being put on for them and that's how it is! I remember actually putting on shows for the cows though! Yep, those dairy cows have a special place in my heart. So that was just an extra bonus for me.
I very highly recommend this book! It's so much fun but has it's deeper moments as well. And while it has a touch of romance, it's not something that has gotten too far yet, and I liked that. The two have worked at developing a friendship first, which is nice. And there's no love triangle either.
Yep, you gotta read it!


.png)


















Great review! :)
ReplyDeleteI stumbled across this gem when I saw some reviewers comparing it to Catching Jordan. DJ's voice was really authentic, funny and even though I've never been on a dairy farm I could picture it.
I'm so, so happy you loved it! It's great that you could relate to it so well. I didn't know you grew up on an ostrich farm! How cool! (I've always wanted to be some sort of farmer, is that weird?) Anyway, reading quote made me realize how much I love D.J. all over again. I love that it feels like she is really talking to you and telling you the story. The audio is so great too, because she has the accent and everything. I can't wait for you to read the rest!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a cute series! I love that she lives on a farm (I grew up in the 'burbs so that's very foreign to me) and that she's such a trip.
ReplyDeleteYaay, I'm so, SO glad you liked D.J! The second and third books were just as good, trust me. D.J.'s voice never changes, she stays true to herself throughout the series so everything you liked about this one will be there in second and third book as well.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, Candace!
This sounds like a great read and exactly what you needed at the time.
ReplyDeleteI am going to have to check and see if I have this one or not. I remember seeing it around and popping up a lot a year or so ago.
Wow this seems like a really awesome read!! For it to be your favorite dialogues!! Its also great that you were able to connect with the characters! I will def add this to my TBR!
ReplyDelete- Farah @ MajiBookshelf
This sounds great! I haven't heard of it before and I am so glad you loved it. I will definitely be adding it to my wish list. Great review!
ReplyDeleteI love this series! The characters are fantastic and realistic. It's one of those books where you completely forget that you're actually reading because you're so immersed into the story.
ReplyDeleteI really liked Dairy Queen, too! I listened to it via audiobook, and it was amazing. The narrator created the perfect voice for D.J. I loved D.J. She was such an amazing character. So glad you enjoyed it too.
ReplyDeleteI'd read it recently too. I'm not a fan of American football, but Dairy Queen made me appreciate it more.
ReplyDeleteI actually never paid attention to Dairy Queen until today. Now I must have it. Sounds awesome. And I love the quotes you included. Thanks for the great review!
ReplyDeleteGlad you like the story! I semi grew up on farm. My grandparents (still to this day)live on a farm. I spent summers and weekends there a lot when I was little. I don't go very often as I like to now but I have great memories of stealing eggs from the chicken coop, or chasing the rooster till he turn around and chased me! LOL! Funniest thing ever! I would run all scared screaming my head off!
ReplyDeleteGreat review! I've seen these on Lori's blog and she sure does love the series...but don't genearlly read Contemporary YA...this sounds like the series to keep in mind should I ever change my mind about that:)
ReplyDeleteAw, I loved this book too! It really doesn't get the love it deserves. I discovered it last year at my local library and picked it up on a whim. I LOVED it. I actually have The Off Season, the sequel, that I really need to to get to.
ReplyDeleteLike you I loved all the family stuff going on. And DJ is probably one of the healthiest role models I have seen in YA lit. So glad you connected with this one, Candace! That was awesome of Lori to surprise you with it:)
Wonderful review. I love finding books that relate to my actual life, so that's awesome you were able to so clearly picture the farm, etc.
ReplyDelete-Lauren
Oh I heard the first time about this book when Lori reviewed it!! Now your review?? I really want to read it !! No Love Trinagle is a definite plus and .. I LOVE the quotes...!! Perfect!!
ReplyDeleteOh I think you have me curious. I didn't live on a farm like you, but I had family that did and I visited them. So, I can see me relating to it a bit as well. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!
ReplyDeleteYES! I am SO glad you enjoyed this one, Candace! I thought the second book was EVEN BETTER and I continue to be impressed by the depth this author brings into her work. Lovely review, dear! :)
ReplyDeleteConsidering recent events, I could read a good coming of age story with some fun in it! I'll get this one on your recommendation!
ReplyDeleteHeather
Ok first--book gifts rock! And omg this sounds like so much fun! Internal humoristic dialogue is THE best and just that you say its the best ever makes me want to read the book I don't even care about the rest >.< I'm all for the funnies!! Have you read the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones btw? If not you have too it's hilarious! But anywho, dude this sounds like so much fun! I also like that they included family dynamics in the story, and how none of the characters were put aside as far as development. Another add on my list, chickie! Your blog is ruining my TBR list budget! Ha!! >.<
ReplyDeleteThis sounds great, I actually haven't heard of it until now, but going on my tbr.
ReplyDeleteBrandi from Blkosiner's Book Blog
I'm so pleased that you gave this five stars, Candace! I recently read Dairy Queen and The Off Season (which is just as good, if not better than the former) and fell in love with D.J.'s relatable, authentic, and altogether lovable voice. A perfect comfort read or rainy day novel. :) Fabulous review!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds so cute and funny. Sometimes this is the perfect type of read to lift your spirits. D.J. sounds delightful and I live the way the authors writing style flows. Awesome review!
ReplyDeleteI remember reading Lori's review and realising I needed to read this book and now your wonderful review has me wanting to rush out and get a copy now! I love that you were able to connect with this so much and the humour really appeals to me!
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to read this one since I saw Lori praising it. It's on my list of audiobooks to check out from the library!! I will have to get to it soon. It sounds really awesome!! Fab review!!
ReplyDeleteBetween you and Lori raving about this book I REALLY have to get it and read it!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this amazing review!!
I keep hearing about this book and everyone seems to love it! Obviously I need to pick it up! It sounds great! Thanks for the review! :)
ReplyDeleteI loved this book so much!! I am so not a sports fan, but the way this written meant that that didn't even matter. I'm so glad you finally read and loved it, too. :)
ReplyDeleteWendy @ The Midnight Garden
I've had this on my list for so long, and yet! I'll keep it in mind for 2013 :)
ReplyDelete