The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms #4) by Cinda Williams Chima
Hardcover, 598 pages
Published: Oct. 23rd, 2012 by Disney Hyperion
Source: Purchased
A thousand years ago, two young lovers were betrayed--Alger Waterlow to his death, and Hanalea, Queen of the Fells, to a life without love.
Now, once again, the Queendom of the Fells seems likely to shatter apart. For young queen Raisa "ana'"Marianna, maintaining peace even within her own castle walls is nearly impossible; tension between wizards and Clan has reached a fevered pitch. With surrounding kingdoms seeking to prey on the Fells' inner turmoil, Raisa's best hope is to unite her people against a common enemy. But that enemy might be the person with whom she's falling in love.
Through a complicated web of lies and unholy alliances, former streetlord Han Alister has become a member of the Wizard Council of the Fells. Navigating the cut-throat world of blue blood politics has never been more dangerous, and Han seems to inspire hostility among Clan and wizards alike. His only ally is the queen, and despite the perils involved, Han finds it impossible to ignore his feelings for Raisa. Before long, Han finds himself in possession of a secret believed to be lost to history, a discovery powerful enough to unite the people of the Fells. But will the secret die with him before he can use it?
A simple, devastating truth concealed by a thousand-year-old lie at last comes to light in this stunning conclusion to the Seven Realms series.
My reviews of The Demon King | The Exiled Queen | and apparently I didn't review The Gray Wolf Throne... I'm not finding it anyway.
Spoiler free review for the entire series (at least I think so...).
Warning: Serious gushing ahead. Now, I know I have gushed about a few books recently and now you may not take me serious anymore. How can I possibly LOVE that many books? I can safely say that I have read some amazing books this year but I think the majority of them were in the last quarter of the year. And I have found that I actually have set down almost 50% of the books I've started reading. It really only holds my attention if it's AMAZING. I have zero patience these days. So if it's one I stick with, it's likely I'm LOVING it. Also note that sometimes books sit prepped but not posted for months, review books always come first for posting and non-review books I fit in when I have a spare day. So I do not post in the order I read. Not even close!
Now, onto the review!
I finished this book about an hour ago and when I set it down I'm pretty sure my face was about to split from the huge smile on my face. But my heart, my poor heart! It was beating at a wildly erratic rate for the entire last quarter of the book! And since it's nearly 600 pages, that's at least a couple hours of nearly beating right out of my chest. And since I have children I had lots of interruptions, but I just hauled that book around for the ride. I set it down to dump food in a bowl, but picked it up to mix the food together. And so it went for the last quarter of the book. And while the last quarter nearly sent me into heart attack mode, the entire book was so good I nearly cried from the beauty of it. I really love when you read a book and you just want to tell everyone you see that they really must read it. When you're in the line at the grocery store and you want to tap the shoulder of the person in front of you and just randomly tell them that you know this really great book they should read... and while I couldn't hardly put the book down, I did find time to do some gushing on social network sites. But really all I can say is, if you are looking for a series that completely entrances you, that has everything a fantasy should have, read this series. Read it! I have been trying to convince people, but so far not everyone is listening. World, read this freaking series!
I love fantasy, but sometimes there's a series that somehow stands out from others and this is one of those. I read The Demon King last year and immediately continued the series and then had to anxiously await the fourth. It's now out, so you can get the entire series and read it, and trust me, you'll want to read it straight through! I already want to reread it!
Okay, so yes, serious gushing going on... sorry about that. But this series has everything going for it. The characters are thoroughly entrancing and addicting. They are thoroughly fleshed out and they will constantly surprise you. The plot is as twisty as it gets. Don't bother trying to figure it out, you'll never guess how it will play out. The world is everything I want in a fantasy. It's a bit smaller than many fantasy books I've read, being as they can travel places much more quickly, but really, it wasn't at all a negative, just something different (the world, or seven realms is small, not the size of the book, the book is huge). It still has the different and unique places I love. This world has wizards, demonai (like Native Americans) and vale folk (city folk). That's just mentioning those in the Queendom that is the focus, but through the series we see more as they travel. This book is more focused on just their lands though with no far off travel. And the romance, oh the romance! It deserves it's own paragraph...
First off, I want this to be a spoiler free review for the series so I'm not going to give anything away. But I will tell you that the romance is as epic as it gets. These two characters meet obstacle after obstacle. And really, it's not possible for them to ever get together for real. But yet, might it be? Well, you have to read it. But I have to say that all the twists and turns really lead to some surprising discoveries that really change the whole game and how people see things. Two people that are at opposite ends of the social structure (princess vs. street lord) could end up as nearly equals. It is possible. But it takes near death experience (time and time again) and lots of deaths of others to lead to what may become possible. And the entire time all you can do is bite your fingers and hope, hope, hope that somehow things will work out. That they will survive just to be in each others arms again even if it's not forever, even if it's just for one night. They need to survive just to accomplish that one small thing. Okay, I could ramble on and on about this romance. All I can say is EPIC. EPIC. EPIC.
In case you haven't figured it out yet, this book was the perfect conclusion for the series. It had everything I wanted, needed, desired and so, so much more. You'd think that things would finally work out when eek, another wrench is thrown in their plans. It will have your head spinning and your legs trembling. Yep, my legs surely did tremble. And maybe my bottom lip. Just a little.
Added on later: I have to say that some time has passed and I'm still obsessing about this book. I recently heard someone say in a review that they could lay on their bed and literally stare at the ceiling for hours thinking about the book. Well, that's this book. I literally DID stare at the ceiling for hours because I couldn't sleep once I finished it! I just laid there and thought about how much I loved it and everything that went down. I've done some debating and some research, trying to figure out which book is my most favorite this year. I think it's hard to determine because your memory fades a bit so those you've read more recently are the ones you remember. Well, after a lot of thinking I have decided that this book is my number one most favorite book this year. I would say Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles is just a bit behind it, and it was a bit hard to determine for sure, but this series, this book in particular, was even better, in my opinion. So that's it, this is the best book of 2012 for me!
First book in the series is The Demon King:
Times are hard in the mountain city of Fellsmarch. Reformed thief Han Alister will do almost anything to eke out a living for for his family. The only thing of value he has is something he can't sell - the thick silver cuffs he's worn since birth. They're clearly magicked - as he grows, they grow, and he's never been able to get them off.
One day Han and his clan friend, Dancer, confront three young wizards setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Han takes an amulet from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to keep him from using it against them. Soon Han learns that the amulet has an evil history - it once belonged to the Demon King, the wizard who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece that powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.
Meanwhile, Raisa ana’Marianna, princess heir of the Fells, has her own battles to fight. She’s just returning to court after three years of freedom in the mountains - riding, hunting, and working the famous clan markets. Raisa wants to be more than an ornament in a glittering cage. She aspires to be like Hanalea - the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. But her mother has other plans for her - including marriage to a suitor who goes against everything the queendom stands for.
The Seven Realms tremble when the lives of Han and Raisa collide, fanning the flames of the smoldering war between clans and wizards.






















Loved, loved, loved your review Candace. Because I loved this book and this series too. It's so amazing. I'm reading the whole series again on audio version now while I walk for exercise. I'm in the middle of The Gray Wolf Throne now. It's all just as fantastic reading it a second time and I'm sure I'll read them again sometime.
ReplyDeleteHappy Holidays!
Wow! You're seriously selling this one even to those who generally don't enjoy fantasy often! >.< They can be a hit or miss for me but this series sounds like it has a lot to offer and I love the sounds of the romance already! Hmm, I might consider it! And for me that's saying something! ;)
ReplyDeleteI love the covers on this series. So much detail. I think you could look at them all day and still see something new the next time you looked at them.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a series I really need to read!
I'M BUYING THIS SERIES RIGHT NOW!! Each of your reviews has made me think I needed to read the series but this one pushed me over the edge. I love that you love it so much (and don't worry about loving too many books. You can never love too many books!!).
ReplyDeletePsssst Candace...your love is showing ;-) I love that you love this series so much, it makes me want to immediately go out and buy book 1! Like you, my patience lately has dwindled and I've had a bit of book ADD, so any book that has kept you riveted the entire way through is going on my must read list. Can't wait!
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking to read these for a while and you just convinced me. Sounds great!
ReplyDeleteHappy reading,
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog
Oh trust me... I think with this crowd, we understand book love. Epic romance??? Oooh! You know I so need to read this one now. Off to add to my huge wishlist!!
ReplyDeleteI am not really into fantasy these days, but you are seriously making me consider reading the series. Awesome review!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, Candace! Your gushy review makes me want to start this series NOW! I know lots of bloggers love this series. I'll definitely have to check it out. Especially if the romance is as epic as it gets... Me gusta great romance! ;) Fabulous review.
ReplyDeleteYAY, I love this review!! It so perfectly captures how great this series is, and how much excitement and flailing it causes! =b For real, though, this series and this book are definitely worth this much hype. I really hope everyone will pick it up!
ReplyDeleteHave you ever considered a career in marketing? I love your review..you make me want all the books in this series and I only read a dew fantasy books a year!
ReplyDeletelol - I love when I can feel your love and enthusiasm for a book/series. I normally wouldn't have even given it a second look.
ReplyDeleteNatalie, Oh, I need to get it on audio! I'm happy you agree that this series is epic!
ReplyDeleteGiselle, I think since this series has a lot of constant action and not a lot of travel and slow parts that even those who don't love fantasy might love this series. I'm not sure but I love it so much that of course I'm going to recommend you read it!
Ali, I agree, these are gorgeous covers!
Mary, YES!!!! I'm so glad! I wish I had loads of money, I'd just give away loads of these books so everyone can read them!
Brandi, read them!
Heidi, screw everything else, read this series instead!
Melissa, YAY! I hope you start them soon!
Andrea, you should! And it's nice to switch things up sometimes. ;)
Sophia, Oh I hope you do read them! Yes, EPIC romance! Make me sigh... just thinking about it.
Ashley, I'm so glad I'm not the only one!
Aw, Kimba, yes, I would do marketing for this series, that's for freaking sure!
Christy, I'm glad I got you to give it a second look! I hope you consider actually picking it up now. ;)
Wow...ok...you've convinced me to look into The Demon King! I love Fantasy if it's done well and as you've gushed about the whole series...
ReplyDeleteWow after all the gushing in this review I must read this series. I recently bought the first book and so I guess I better dive into an exciting world.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review. *runs off to go find where I put my copy of the first book* :)
Ah!!!! I love this series so frikkin' much! Your review epitomized my journey with this series! It was one of the best conclusions for a high fantasy series that I read. My only complaint was the conclusion for some of the side characters because they were ignored at the end. Otherwise, this is one of my fave books of the year!
ReplyDelete-Angie @YA Novelties
I always see this series at the library and in my local bookstore...how have I never picked it up?! I'm glad to know that four books in it isn't losing any steam. Now I have to add it to my list :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic review, Candace! I skimmed through it because I've only read the first book, but I really must continue with this series. It sounds remarkable and such a high rating from you is certainly a good recommendation! :)
ReplyDeleteThe idea of soul mates and reincarnation is always so romantic to me. This book sounds like the author reallly played that idea well.. happy holidays!
ReplyDeleteFantastic review. I haven't heard of this before today, and I saw it is on your top picks for 2012 list. I will be adding it to my TBR list for sure. Have a great Christmas!
ReplyDelete