Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Review: Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter


Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2) by Aimee Carter
Young Adult/ Mythology
Paperback, 304 pgs.
Published March 27th, 2012 by HarlequinTeen
Source: Borrowed

Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.

When it comes to mythology retellings you can find many in the young adult genre, but what I want is something that feels different and so far I've discovered that most every author comes up with a unique and compelling world but Aimee Carter's is definitely one of my favorites.   While there were a few minor issues I had with the first book I think they were mostly resolved for me in this one.  More of that in a minute though.  I love the way she's created this world and the characters in it.


Kate is a strong character and determined to be the best she can be.  While she may seem a bit headstrong and determined, she is only a teenager and has been thrust into some very strange circumstances and she does such an amazing job.  She has a hard time because of Henry's difficulty loving, or rather, letting anyone in.  He's had his heart broke and Kate just wants to know that he does care for her and that she isn't staying with him when he doesn't want her.  Kate is pretty vocal about her feelings and Henry just doesn't seem to get it.  While this was frustrating at times it was kind of frustrating in a good way.  Because we know that Henry has given up his heart in the past and had it completely broken, but in this book we find out even a bit more about why he guards his heart.  And I love that Kate and Henry have to fight for this relationship because they obviously are going to have things to overcome.  They think so drastically differently since Henry has been alive for thousands of years and Kate has only been around for 19 years.  There's no way their relationship would be at all realistic if they didn't have some difficulties to work through.  While in the first book I had a hard time feeling the romance between the two in this one it was kind of a start-over (or maybe it's just me and I just felt it more) and the way that things build and change and finally come to a head made me start to really feel the vibe.  Plus in the first one I kept picturing Henry as old and in this one I guess I let go of that image of him.


Now this book is not at all only about their relationship.  Actually the tension and difficulties between Henry and Kate are put on the back burner time and time again as they have to battle Cronus and Calliope.  Kate gets to meet, and get to know, her sister Persephone and find out more about her new 'family'.  And they all have to figure out how to beat Cronus and Calliope and figure out how to keep the world from ending.   It was pretty non-stop action as it seemed one thing after another kept happening. 

This was very fast paced and it was easy for me to fly through it.  I loved how things have changed so much from the first book and it's not at all the same story.  The setting has even changed as they are now in the Underworld.   One warning though: CLIFFHANGER!  I detest cliffhangers this severe, but I guess it just has me dying for the next one even more!

I recommend this book for those enjoy young adult mythological books.  I recommend it for more mature young adults and adults.  There is some mature content such as sex which is off page but it's clear that it happens.  It was light to no cursing.  


4/5 stars

12 comments:

  1. I haven't read the first one yet - but I have them both on my Kindle (thanks Netgalley for this one!) and your review has me motivated to finally read!

    I hate cliffhangers though, so maybe since I'm prepared now? It won't be so bad...

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. *gasp* I SO need to read The Goddess Test!!!! Gah!!! I never flipping have time!!!! *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There's no way their relationship would be at all realistic if they didn't have some difficulties to work through."

    Very true. I just got a little frustrated with how often Kate would decide she was fine with whatever Henry was willing to give, and then a few pages later she'd deteriorate into a "why doesn't he love me" state of mind. I do like the push and pull of their relationship for the most part though, it makes things really intense:) And that cliffhanger? I think I aged 10 years when I read it. I was all NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Fabulous review Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, the ending...AH! I wanted to throw my nook b/c there wasn't any more! I can't wait for the next one to come out. Love the world that Aimee has created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it, I enjoyed it as well!
    I agree with you about Kate, she was a very strong main character. AND YES, THAT ENDING!!! GAH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, glad you enjoyed this one. I can't wait to get my hands on it and great review. Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I said this on Jenny's blog when she posted her review, but I'm still feeling the same, I don't think this series is for me. Despite the positive reviews I've been reading for it, I can't seem to get myself interested in it. And now that I know about the cliffhanger, I'm even less so. *sighs*

    I must be broken or something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad you liked it! I love mythology and have wanted to read this series for quite sometime already, but just haven't gotten to it for some reason. o: I'm definitely curious! Need to get hold of it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep hearing wonderful things about this book series. I really need to get book one.

    Great review! I can tell that you really enjoyed book 2 and it gives me another little push towards beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Day-am. I HATE huge cliffhangers and it sounds like this one would frustrate me to no end. I want to read this story but I think I might have to wait until I can read the second then the third without waiting a year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to read this one! Not thrilled about the cliffhanger, but I still want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many people are giving this one low ratings lately that it had me worried about this series. I have the first book but haven't gotten around to it yet.

    I'm happy to read from your review that this book was good and that it didn't have the exact same storyline from the first book. Plus you warned us about some sexual stuff which I never mind any of that since I read erotic adult novels from time to time so now I'm convinced that I need to read this series soon.

    Lol sorry for the ramblings.
    Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs