Paperback, 212 pgs.
Published July 14th, 2011
Source: For Review
The last thing Dana Redding wants to do is waste her summer vacation in the middle of nowhere. It's bad enough that her mom has found a new guy she plans to marry, but now Dana is forced to spend two week's visiting this guy's kids. While exploring the local countryside, Dana, Jack, and Amy stumble upon the entrance to an old abandoned mine, where they uncover dangerous town secrets. Racing against time, weather, and armed theives, the three kids must struggle together to get out of the mine alive. For more information visit, www.theadventurers.com
This ended up being an absolutely fantastic adventure mystery. This is the kind of book I read when I was young but is hard to find these days. Everything now is about paranormal and mythology and magic and all that. This is just a good ol' adventure with an awesome mystery in it.
The characters are great! They felt realistic to me while still being very strong. They managed to cope with things that would have been very scary to deal with and the author didn't hold back in putting them in tough situations.
The story was fantastic and had me engaged from the beginning. Sometimes middle grade books don't hold me as well just because they are aimed at younger readers but this one did. It was a fast read that I cruised through in no time. And the writing was fantastic! I never saw a single flaw in the way the story was carried out or in the editing. It was absolutely terrific!
This is a book I very highly recommend for middle graders and up who are looking for a realistic adventure with an awesome mystery.
5/5 stars!
Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.




















Same here! I've only read a few middle grade books because some don't feel as gripping as the YA books I read, but I HAVE found some beautiful gems in the mix and I'm glad that this is one of them! :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome review, Candace! Since my little cousin is looking for a book to read, I'm definitely going to pass this title along to her! Part because it sounds awesome, and part because I'm selfish and want more people to read in my family! x)
Sounds like a great middle grade book that I will have to check out. I am always looking for more middle grade so this seems to fit what I have been looking for.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review, so glad you enjoyed this one so much :)
I like that it seems there are more good MG books out there. YA finally stepped up and now MG! It's great. I'll have to check this out.
ReplyDeleteEvery once in awhile, there's a great middle grade book just waiting for us to uncover it. I'm so glad you loved this and wrote a review--I will have to check this out!
ReplyDeleteWendy @ The Midnight Garden
I struggle with middle-grade books too. Maybe I'll have to give this one a shot!
ReplyDelete