13 Treasures was another faerie book. So was I bored with it? Was I sick of faeries and the same ol' thing? NO! Not one bit!
What made it unique to me?
Well, for one it took place in England in an old manor house (mansion) with hidden passages and a scary forest behind it.
Also,
the faeries in this story were so well described that they were all unique to me. I mean faeries were everywhere! In the drain, hiding in the old clock, warming the teapot... yeah, the list goes on. And most people can't see them. Just Tanya.
And
this book had spooky parts where I was sitting on the edge of my seat, but yet it wasn't too spooky. Just the perfect amount.
I also loved that
it's a book that I could read to my 5 year old daughter. Not that she understood it... but when she said "read your book to me mom" I could.
This is a middle grade book but it's wrote in a way that doesn't feel middle grade. Not like the middle grade books I grew up with. I read them now and am bored. Nope. This is a great one for ALL ages!
So you want to know what it's all about? Here's a description from Goodreads:
While visiting her grandmother's house, an old photograph leads Tanya to an unsolved mystery. Fifty years ago a girl vanished in the woods nearby - a girl Tanya's grandmother will not speak of. Fabian, the caretaker's son, is tormented by the girl's disappearance. His grandfather was the last person to see her alive, and has lived under suspicion ever since. Together, Tanya and Fabian decide to find the truth. But Tanya has her own secret: the ability to see fairies. Can it help them to unravel the mystery? Soon they are facing terrible danger. Could the manor's sinister history be about to repeat itself?
Does that grab your attention? Do you want to read it yet? Well maybe this will convince you:
This was over the top good. This book really stood out to me and I will have to buy a copy to own along with the second book which I've been told is already released in the UK. The characters in this book were so well drawn you really 'get' them. You understand their thought process and you don't get all upset with their irrational decisions. Okay, well for the most part. They are 13 (or 14, I can't remember).
It's not predictable. For the most part. Yeah, something's you can figure out long before the main character Tanya does, but the real storyline itself isn't predictable. The ending wasn't exactly what I expected. But maybe that's just me.
I rate this book the highest rating a book can get. 5 Moons!
Michelle Harrison, you did fantastic! I wish you lived in the states so I could get some signed copies!
Want to look up Michelle Harrison? You can find her at her website: http://www.michelleharrisonbooks.com/
Want to buy 13 Treasures? You can buy from amazon (below) or The Book Depository. Or your favorite bookstore, of course.



















Great review, I'm so glad you loved it! I also really love the cover.
ReplyDeleteGreat review!! I'm so happy you loved it! It reminds me of Harry Potter a little because there was magical things everywhere! (You should read those too!) I really need to get the sequel!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic review. you have definitely made me a believer and now I need to add this to my huge pile of really want to read books. Thanks (I think).
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read this one after reading your review! Fun! It sounds like something my daughter will love too! :)
ReplyDelete