Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hex Hall Review

Hex Hall (Book 1)Description:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

My Thoughts:
I was expecting this to be a fun read with a boarding school like feel to it (think Gemma Doyle, for example).  It was a fun read for the most part.  There were some heavier parts, but Sophie's personality actually seemed to lighten things up a bit.  As far as the boarding school part, well, this was no ordinary boarding school.  It was two houses squished together and seem like more of a house with classes in ordinary like rooms.  That's the take I took on it anyway.  

I think the story line was put together well, but at times I had a hard time with Sophie.  I was unsure of her personality and she just didn't quite click.   But it turned out to not really bother me too much, I could see past that.  The other characters were done well and I don't have anything really to say about them.  They just didn't stand out.
I could visualize everything quite well, so I would say descriptions were well done.  
The romance... well... not sure what I can say without giving spoilers.  I wasn't satisfied with it and by the end of the story I felt quite disappointed.  BUT I think that's what's going to come into play in the next book. We'll find out what's going on with that.  So I think that was left unfinished on purpose.  

I really loved all the magic and the different magical Beings.  Beings being witches, were's, vamps, faeries, ghosts, etc.  It certainly made the book feel more unique to me.  
I really enjoyed reading this book.  And and am really looking forward to the next one.  
4 Moons.

You can find Rachel Hawkins on her website. And her blog.  You can also find her on twitter.
You can buy Hex Hall at your favorite bookstore or at amazon.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it as it is one of many on my summer reading list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked Hex Hall. I really enjoyed it & can't wait to see what book two has in store for Sophie & Archer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this but haven't read it yet. I'm happy to hear you liked it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs