Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris
Hardcover, 201 pages
Published: July 12th, 2011 by Delacorte
Source: Library
Someone's been a very bad zombie.
Kate Grable is horrified to find out that the football coach has given the team steroids. Worse yet, the steriods are having an unexpected effect, turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless flesh-eating zombies. No one is safe--not her cute crush Aaron, not her dorky brother, Jonah . . . not even Kate! She's got to find an antidote--before her entire high school ends up eating each other. So Kate, her best girlfriend, Rocky, and Aaron stage a frantic battle to save their town . . . and stay hormonally human.
This is one of those reviews that is ridiculously hard to write. I liked this book well enough, but I don't really have any strong emotions about it at all. I liked Kate, she was funny and had a great inner voice. Sometimes she took things just a bit too well, but that's just how this story is, ridiculous things happen but it doesn't seem to phase people too much. I liked the other characters, especially her brother Jonah, but I don't feel like we really got to know them very well at all. There's not much fleshing out of characters, but it's a short book and I wouldn't say it's really a negative. It just kept me from feeling any strong emotions for any of them.
I felt the romance was a bit lack luster, I didn't really have time to feel a connection between them. But it seemed okay. I didn't hate it or anything.
The story was sometimes funny, and sometimes ridiculous and that's how it's suppose to be. I just felt like I should feel more, you know? It was a fun book but the whole time I just felt okay about it.
I feel I should mention that I read it while suffering from a horrible headache. That may have impacted my enjoyability of it a bit. It was a decent read anyway and I can't say there's anything specific I didn't like. But this is just a book that was okay for me and therefore there's nothing to rant about and there's nothing to rave about. Therefore the blah review. I apologize for that...





















Never heard about this book before. Thanks for your review:) I dont think it is the book for me, but thanks anyway:)
ReplyDeleteThe romance is definitely not a big thing in this series. It is more a fluff, feel good, laugh a little, roll your eyes a little series.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you did enjoy it even if not as much as I did. ;)
I have been wanting to read this series but it sounds like it might not be worth my time. Well if I do check this book out it will certainly be from the library.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great reivew.
Oh, I have totally been in this situation before. It's so hard to write a review when you have zero to say. I've been interested in this series, but now I know it's probably not for me.
ReplyDeleteNice review!
No need to apologize, sometimes you just get books like this. sorry there wasn't more to rave about, though. It sounds like a fun read...but I do like some more substance in books most of the time. Love the cover, though!
ReplyDelete-Lauren
Those books where you don't feel strongly either positively or negatively are the hardest to review! I totally get where you're coming from.
ReplyDeleteI tried this one once and didn't get too far; something about it just didn't grab me, although I might pick it up again sometime. Thanks for your honest review, Candace. :)
Wendy @ The Midnight Garden
LOL This definitely sounds like one of those funny to the point of crazy reads that are enjoyable to pass the time but don't leave one with much at the end!
ReplyDeleteI agree! It's so hard to review the middle of the road books. The ones that you read and can't remember a damn thing about them when you're done.
ReplyDeleteI don't read a lot of zombie books but this cover has always called to me for some reason. Too bad the book wasn't quite as good as you hoped.
ReplyDelete~Sara @ Forever 17 Books
It does sound like a weird book, and I know what you mean- how it's an okay book, nothing wrong, but it doesn't have that "oomph" that makes you go all excited!
ReplyDeleteMight pick this one up, just to read about the ridiculous bits. =)
Well, it sounds like this is a funny, light read! It's too bad that you didn't feel stronger about it but maybe the headache had something to do with that. I'll still keep this in mind when I'm ready for a break from some of the heavier stuff out now! Thanks for your comments!
ReplyDeleteSuz Reads
I can totally understand how not feeling well can change the enjoyment you have of a book. This does sound like a fun little read. My sister is crazy about zombies so this might be something she would like, I may have to check it out for her.
ReplyDeleteI really want to read this book!
ReplyDelete