Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr
Hardcover, 306 pages
Expected Publication: Sept. 4th, 2012 by Harper
Source: Gift
In a city of daimons, rigid class lines separate the powerful from the power-hungry. And at the heart of The City is the Carnival of Souls, where both murder and pleasure are offered up for sale. Once in a generation, the carnival hosts a deadly competition that allows every daimon a chance to join the ruling elite. Without the competition, Aya and Kaleb would both face bleak futures--if for different reasons. For each of them, fighting to the death is the only way to try to live.
All Mallory knows of The City is that her father--and every other witch there--fled it for a life in exile in the human world. Instead of a typical teenage life full of friends and maybe even a little romance, Mallory scans quiet streets for threats, hides herself away, and trains to be lethal. She knows it's only a matter of time until a daimon finds her and her father, so she readies herself for the inevitable. While Mallory possesses little knowledge of The City, every inhabitant of The City knows of her. There are plans for Mallory, and soon she, too, will be drawn into the decadence and danger that is the Carnival of Souls.
From Melissa Marr, bestselling author of the Wicked Lovely series and "Graveminder," comes a brand-new tale of lush secrets, dark love, and the struggle to forge one's own destiny.
This is a gritty and dark young adult urban fantasy that definitely had the Melissa Marr feel to it. The book felt unique, with elements I haven't read about before and with her own spin on things. I was really able to feel the Carnival of Souls and get a good picture in my mind.
While I feel like I should be raving about this book I'm just not. I guess that I felt a lack of emotion while reading it and I'm not quite sure why. I thought it was richly detailed, I thought it was unique and had beauty in the dark and gritty world, I liked the characters pretty well, and I thought the twists and turns were done well. But somehow I still felt sort of flat and not the excitement I should have.
First of all my favorite part of the book was Kaleb. He had a personality that I really enjoyed reading about. But I think I still wanted a bit more from him, I just can't put my finger on what exactly. And Mallory felt flat to me. She was a good enough character, but I needed a bit more life from her. I'm sorry that I suck at describing things, but this is just one of those books that I just can't say what my problem was exactly. I just needed more.
I did like that we were kept guessing. In the beginning it was so hard to determine who was good and who was bad. Everyone had two sides to them. They weren't all good or all bad. And that was great, trying to figure it all out and determine where things might be going.
The Carnival itself had a strong atmosphere and is one thing that really stood out in the book. It's definitely dark and has a sinister feel to it and it worked well for this story.
Overall I enjoyed the story, but I wasn't quite wowed by it. If you are a big Melissa Marr fan you will likely enjoy it.





















Man, I was really looking forward to this one. Sorry you just did't just click with it. Great review. Have a awesome day.
ReplyDeleteJenea @ Books Live Forever
Hmmmm. Melissa at I Swim For Oceans had a very similar reaction and I trust both of your opinions implicitly so I think I'm going to hold off on this one. I was so excited for it too! Damn. I like that there are some great plot twists, and I'm usually always sucked in by a dark and gritty world, but I need that emotional element to help me connect and it sounds like that is lacking. Thanks for your thoughts Candace!
ReplyDeleteI totally, 100% agree with you Candace. It has some great elements at work, but is simply lacking in the "WOW" factor. I think Marr is setting up a very interesting world, but the characters felt so flat to me. Plus I was really turned off by all the talk of mating and breeding and "continuing the line". Ick.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite character was actually Zevi, or "the dog", as I like to think of him:) I think I will probably check out the next book in the series to see if Marr has resolved some of the issues I had but I'll probably wait until it is available at my library:)
I have been going back and forth or whether or not I wanted to get this one tomorrow and..I still don't know. It seems like a lot of the reviews are the same, that is was good but not great.
ReplyDeleteI really liked your review and I just might give this one a try. I still haven't finished her other series but I did like the first book.
bummr it was meh for you / i\m exited
ReplyDeletegr8 review
I was once again enthralled by this world and her Melissa Marr's unique way to creata dark and edgy story. I think I get what what you say about the characters. It's always harder to connect with them when there are so many that need to be introduced! YEAH for Kaleb!
ReplyDeleteI like dark and sinister and the world building sounds amazing. I'm not a big Melissa Marr fan but was planning on getting the audio book of this one just because Spike from Buffy is narrating it.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't too thrilled with "Graveminder" which was Marr's adult debut and I'm starting to get the same vibe with this one. It looks really cool and I'm curious about the carnival but I'm going to hold off on this one.
ReplyDeleteDo you think it just got over-hyped and maybe we're all expecting too much? I'm a huge Marr fan and her writing style so I will definitely HAVE to pick this up, if only to see what I think in comparison to what you thought!!! Awesome review that's getting me that much faster to the store tomorrow :D
ReplyDeleteSorry this book didn't live up to your expectations. I hate when characters fall flat. it is such a creative premise so a huge bummer if it doesn't all work right for you. I have hopes I will still enjoy it too, on a whole. Thanks for your honest review! :)
ReplyDelete~Sara @ Forever 17 Books
Yeah, I've read that Mallory wasn't all that.. I still can't wait to read this book though, if only to see the dark elements Marr wove in.
ReplyDeleteGreat review!
My oh My! I just picked this one up from the library yesterday! Great review! I don't think I'm as pumped to read it as I was though.
ReplyDeleteMad Scientist @ Steampunkery & Book Reviews
I have yet to read any YA book by Marr, I tried to read Graveminder but I got half way through and was bored out of my mind so I gave up on it. I own most of the Wicked Lovely series and I do have Carnival of Souls but I have put off reading it! I'm sorry something about this one just didn't work for you. I hate when you know something isn't working in the plot of in the characters but you can't put your finger on exactly what you don't like.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review though!
Gosh, I can't tell you how many reviews I've read which either loved this one or were on the fence like you. I haven't read anything by Melissa Marr before (WELL, I read Wicked Lovely and then never continued because this HORRIBLE girl ruined the rest of the series for me in the library and walked away and I've never been able to track her down to kill her but now I'm off on a tangent so I'll shut up), but from Wicked Lovely, I gathered that she was an incredible author. I think what went wrong with this was that there were too many narrators - six I heard. Kaleb seems like a phenomenal character though, so I will definitely be picking this one up, just not soon though. Thanks for the honest review, Candace!(:
ReplyDeleteI just reviewed this book on my blog @ www.bookloverscentral.blogspot.com. I'd love it if you could check it out :)
ReplyDelete