Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Book Review: You Against Me by Jenny Downham


You Against Me by Jenny Downham
ARC 413 pgs (Published in Hardcover)
Published 9/2011 (In the US) by David Fickling Books (Random House)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Source: Amazon Vine

 If someone hurts your sister and you're any kind of man, you seek revenge, right? If your brother's been accused of a terrible crime and you're the main witness, then you banish all doubt and defend him. Isn't that what families do? When Mikey's sister claims a boy assaulted her at a party, his world of work and girls begins to fall apart. When Ellie's brother is charged with the crime, but says he didn't do it, her world of revision, exams and fitting in at a new school begins to unravel. When Mikey and Ellie meet, two worlds collide. Brave and unflinching, this is a novel of extraordinary skillfulness and almost unbearable tension. It's a book about loyalty and the choices that come with it. But above all it's a book about love - for one's family and for another.




 Surprisingly this was one I selected by the description only.  Somehow I hadn't heard anything about it before but once I got it I realized this was one book that had some rave reviews!  And once I started reading it I realized why!  I absolutely loved this book!  

It has an interesting story line with two characters that fall in love when they should be mortal enemies.  They didn't mean to fall in love, it started out as a way to figure out revenge (secretly, of course) but then something happened, they really cared about each other.
Both characters grow a lot in the story.  Now, I had wrote up two long paragraphs about how they evolved, but it probably doesn't really matter.  It just matters that they did.  They became something more.  And both of their families are messed up.  Mikey's mom is a drunk, Ellie's father is a jerk and neither family is completely right about anything.  

I really liked that in the beginning we don't really know who is right and who is wrong and what was great is we got to kind of judge for ourselves, make our own decisions.  And while we do get the whole story of what happened it's not until the end.  And I thought it was planned out well and very well paced.

I also liked that the book was British.  It took place in the UK and had lots of awesome British slang.  I kind of love that.  It just gave it a different vibe, ya' know?  But some things I don't know.  Obviously their school system is different and some of the school talk didn't make sense to me, I don't understand what they meant.  But that stuff wasn't really important and didn't take anything away from the story.  I am curious now though... What the heck is revisions?  

I loved that the story is told in third person but both perspectives.  I never felt confused about who's story was happening since it was in third person but I liked seeing every side of the story.  It made it mess with your head a bit more, ya know?  Like you see how sweet they can be, how could they do something bad?  

The romance was so sweet!  SO sweet!  It had obstacles, obviously, but yet it seemed somehow easy.  I mean there wasn't too much of the complicated feelings of not wanting to like him/her, etc.  Yeah, that happened, but somehow it seemed less complicated then I would have imagined.  They knew what they felt and for the most part they let it happen.  

Although I LOVED this book I do have a minor complaint.  In the very beginning I felt like I was thrown into something that I should know more about.  It was just a bit much because I had no clue what was going on.  It cleared up quickly but then later in the story it was odd how things went from being so fast to kind of jumping around.  I think it was saving us from tediousness, but I had a difficult time knowing how much time had passed.  And while it's revealed in the chapter, it's not there when you start.  So I'd start the chapter thinking it was immediately after the end of the previous chapter and really it was weeks later.  Now, it's really a minor issue for me because I liked the book so much, but some won't be caring for that.

This book is for the older young adult crowd.  There's sex (not descriptive, but it does happen) and there's a bit of bad language.  Mikey is 18 or 19, so that gives you a bit of an idea that there's some mature things.

I highly recommend this book if it sounds like your thing.  Although it's fairly large at over 400 pages, I read it in a day.   I had a very difficult time putting it down!  I'm definitely going to be checking out the authors previous book, Before I Die.  



Purchase the book:
The Book Depository | On Amazon-
You Against Me


Disclosure: I received an advance copy of this book free of charge for review purposes.  I was not paid or influenced in any way and all opinions expressed are my own.

12 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a dark read. I haven't been in a good mood as of late, but I will definitely check it out! Once I find a way out of the sea of books flooding around me :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I keep seeing great reviews on this book I can't wait to read t myself. I think I'll really enjoy dual perspectives. I find you can connect more with the characters. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh!!! ANother one to add to my list! lol Candace, your KILLIN me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this one in the Amazon newsletter but passed it by, thinking it was just another romance, which I wasn't in the mood for. Now, I'm sad I did! Darn you, Crystal Lite Margarita flavor for tempting me away from a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got this one sitting on my shelf and have let other books get in the way of reading it. I'd heard a lot about If I Die and was hoping to read that first, but since most people who've read it claim that this is better than If I Die, I think I'm just going to go ahead and read this next.

    Sarah @ Random Thoughts of a Confused Adolescent

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candace! I already have enough books in my pile! LOL But I am going to have to get this one now. The way you describe the romance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to read this one for a very long time. I'm so happy to know that it is hopefully going to be everything that I expect from it. Thank you for the great review, you have made me want this book even more than I already did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sound of this one, in large part because of the very dark content. Brilliant review, Candace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have convinced me! I must read it. I will have to get it if it's in Vine again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want this book so badly! Seriously, I'm going to break my book buying ban because I need it. I've been waiting for it for nearly a year now (since the UK release) and I MUST get it now. I love the Britishisms too. They're there in Downham's other book and even though Before I Die was a huge cryfest for me, I'm more than eager to read You Against Me too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I'm so glad to see that you liked this one so much! I'm REALLY looking forward to it. I'm actually trying to squirm it in for Just Contemporary. I need to get reading! :P I'm so far behind!! Anyway... GREAT review! It gives me itchy fingers to read this one NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard great things about this book and your review has just risen it up on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll take the time to leave a comment. I try to reply to comments on here and/or through email (if you have it set so you can get replied to by email) but I'm not ALWAYS able to.

I do not accept awards because I do not have the time to repost. I thank you for considering me and your comments are the best award I could get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Charmed Whispers kit by MagicalReality Designs